What's new

PAA Quantum razor

Good luck. I hit refresh on that page for almost a year. lol

I did sign up for the email notifications after the last run sold out. I got the email but was traveling and just didn't take the time to order one. I like the look of the mixed metals but honestly, I would like it if they offered an all brass Nickle plated or an all stainless version. As for the handle, I wonder what it would look like with a RazoRock HD or Bulldog on it. I like the Gillette styled flare tip but I am not sure it fits with the Eclipse inspired head. Anyway, I digress. Looking forward to the next release to see what changes they make. I like the PAA creativity when they bring new life to vintage classics.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
that's like the eclipse?
And here is were at least some of my ignorance is glaring. I barely know any of the old Gillette lineup. Fatboy, Aristocrat, Eclipse, Tech, Superspeed, just mean "old Gillette razor" to me. I know that Tech is sort of what the Feather AS-D2 is a copy of (pre-war, post-war, civil-war, I don't know). I know the Fatboy is adjustable. Oh and the old an new were OC, I think.

I'm not sure why the old Gillette's never intrigued me. I have some old SE razors, but no old DE.

The original eclipse top cap has the ridges on the edge too.
full

The Quantum copied that too
full

My Beta baseplate is still in its plastic bag. Having been told it was the less aggressive one, I ignored it.

I'll check it out (probably next month now) and report back.
I'll have to use them both again but on first shaves I enjoyed the Beta plate a lot more.

Quantum Beta SOTD
SOTD-Quantum-Beta-B-G_2023-10-29.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip D01 16/47
Soap: LEA Classic
Razor: Phoenix Quantum Beta Butterscotch
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (9)
ASL: LEA Classic

A fine shave. :biggrin:

As @jason2 found the Beta baseplate more aggressive than the Alpha, I had to get my Beta baseplate out of its bag and try it out. When I started there didn't seem to be much difference. When the shave was complete I'd say the Beta baseplate is less aggressive than the Alpha (as stated by Phoenix) but not by much. I enjoyed the shave, but I'll be sticking to the Alpha baseplate in the future.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

I'll be going through them again later this week or next. I found both pretty close too for efficiency but had to do slightly more touch ups with the Alpha. I did seem to feel the blade more with the Beta the entire time that I liked better.

• Cheers
Reactions: Cal
OCtober 2023

Cream: Barbasol 1919
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head () - Frankenrazor Quantum Meta Beta w/ Personna Lab Blue
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive

The Frankenrazor Meta-4 Brass Top Cap, Quantum Beta baseplate, and 3.25" PAA flair brass tip
full

💯/💯

Franken Halloween Treat. The Meta-4 alone is a great razor but I've found a few other razors it can go on and create a smooth super comfy shave. If you really like blade feel this combo today would not be for you. I barely felt the blade but it was pretty darn efficient still. I felt the alum and snake bite more today then I did yesterday with the ATT.

Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head () - PAA Quantum Alpha and Ti Blackbird handle w/ Personna Lab Blue
Aftershave:

The Quantum Alpha Bird
full

10/10

Soft and mild. Back to using the Alpha plate again. Used the Ti Blackbird handle which is very light and made it a touch top heavy. That still didn't make the Alpha feel any more aggressive than the last time. It still felt pretty mild and smooth. Blade exposure feels pretty neutral. I'll try out the Beta plate again tomorrow to compare.

Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head () - PAA Quantum Bets and Ti Blackbird handle w/ Personna Lab Blue
Aftershave:

The Quantum Beta Bird
full

10/10

Better. Yep, I like the Beta plate better. Both feel pretty mild and neither are aggressive. Both are fairly efficient. Both can provide a smooth clean shave with little to no irritation. Both look great. Both could be used everyday. For me the Beta plate has slightly more blade feel and slightly more efficient. Maybe mine was marked wrong? I do like both with the 3.25" flair handle better than a lighter handle. Either way I'm super happy with the Quantum.

Top Bottom