What's new

PAA Peregrino re-knotted with G5B

First time out of the barn for my re-knotted Peregrino. What a fantastic brush this starting out to be!
Soft tips on the face and firm when flexed, performed great for a thick face lather and then easy as pie in the bowl.

Many shavers really like the Peregrino and I wanted to like it as well, but we got off on the wrong foot. I found it too floppy and hungry, IMHO only.
Thanks to many BBer's for their input and suggestions.
I decided to re-knott and the choices were numerous. I landed on the AP ShaveCo G5B. I like the color and and reviews on this knot.

24mm Knot and I set it in with a 57mm loft using epoxy. It could have been set higher but I didn't want it to be floppy, mission accomplished. Definitely not floppy and I think just right. We'll see as time goes on. As of this first shave I am impressed and was overheard mumbling "Oh yea, there it is"
My Brushes_15_G5B.jpgIMG_20220925_092723.jpg

Very cool experiment, as a Peregrino owner I'm very interested to see what you think of the G5B in this application - it sure sounds good so far!

That must have been a tough call with all the knot choices out there. I sure suffer from analysis paralysis in a situation like that. :blink:

Great job!

How did you pull out the original knot from the Peregrino handle?
It was epoxied in HARD. I wrapped the handle in layers of masking tape right away.
I had to cut the fibers away and then tried drilling but it wasn't going well. So, I used a Dremel tool with a tiny steel rotary burr, like used for grinding tile and grout.
Then I was able to drill it out nicely with a Forstner drill bit that was slightly smaller than 24mm then just sanded a little. I think the Forstner bit was the key to a nice round hole.

It was epoxied in HARD. I wrapped the brush in layers of masking tape right away.
I had to cut the fibers away and then tried drilling but it wasn't going well. So, I used a Dremel tool with a tiny steel rotary burr, like used for grinding tile and grout.
Then I was able to drill it out nicely with a Forstner drill bit that was slightly smaller than 24mm then just sanded a little. I think the Forstner bit was the key to a nice round hole.
Did you have a drill press for the Forstner bit or did you drill it out with a hand drill? I would be worried about user error with a hand drill.

Did you have a drill press for the Forstner bit or did you drill it out with a hand drill? I would be worried about user error with a hand drill.
To answer your question a little bit better, I think it would be possible to use a hand held drill IF you were able to securely hold the handle in a vise. But I'm with you, I would be worried about user error with a hand drill also.

Second shave with this brush was a treat. I bowl lathered after doing a thick lather pre-shave.
Great scrubbing action on my face, better than I'm used to and yet still very soft face feel.
So far it's great!
IMG_20220926_121103.jpg

Top Bottom