What's new

Our Nespresso machine has passed away.

Well....
6 years later and 1000+ Nespresso shots and many capsules later...my wife called Nespresso on speed dial and frantically told them at noon time while at home her Nespresso machine only brewed "crema"....we were given 2 options...$49 discount on $229 or $299 new model or pay $150 for a refurb unit.
Me n my wife both looked at other with the same reaction "meh" *shrugged our shoulders*..my reply was..what about the new Keurig Vue?...it detects coffee and tea and brews strong or regulr brew
(lifetime bring back to store with bed bath and beyond store buy)...I was thinking of using the many Nespresso capsules my wife has..about 80 capsules and try to get em to work with the my Keurig Vue somehow maybe in the My K Cup?

SmallTank

If you are not opposed to buying second hand you might also want to check craigslist, ebay, etc, for a used machine. I have not checked for this machine specifically, but I think they change hands fairly often due to people experimenting or being the victim of a gift idea they didn't really want.

Actually you can re-use those. They sell these pods of Kurigs that you can pack with your own coffee. Just slice open the pod and pack it into the Kurig. Or ship them over to me for proper disposal :D

I had a long chat with my wife..she really doesnt want another Nespresso machine (at the same cost as Keurig vue)..and she just wants something "different"..my issue is the pods for this machine over time will really become high cost..vs instant or whole beans from Trader Joes (I grind my own) in a regular coffee brewer

You can get a refillable k-cup thing and use your own coffee. Even coffee you roast yourself!

Though, it's somewhat remiss to encourage anyone to use a k-cup gizmo.

Switch to a Vac pot(cleanest cup) A French Press(Richest flavor) or an Aero Press(Easiest cleanup). All 3 provide the fullest flavor with fresh roasted beans and are the least expensive besides a Chemex(another good option) I have the first three and use the French Press most but love them all and the investment for all 3 would be less than $100. *imo.

Now is a good time to invest in a good grinder (consistent grind is essential!) and a Chemex. Or a Vac pot. I like the Chemex with a Coava Kone because you boil, grind and pour. As simple, easy and delicious as it gets.

I agree with what many others have said: there are a few much less expensive options that in my opinion provide a much better end result than Keurig.

I own a Keurig. My wife uses it. I no longer use it.

From the opposite side, it's hard to use any of these alternatives in the morning. It takes too long to boil water and then wait 5 minutes more for coffee. I can't always stay there while it's brewing, so the vacuum and stove top are right out, even though they're fast. If I understand right, it takes a few minutes to heat these fake espresso gizmos, but then it's pretty quick. During a morning rush, that's about equal to an electric drip machine. I keep thinking of get one of these or another, just for mornings because it's hard to make coffee in the morning before having your morning coffee.

Well..today was a long day at bed bath and beyond...had a bunch of 20% off and $5 off coupons...we settled on the Keurig Vue700...saved a nice chunk o change at checkout..I like my coffee strong and was suprised how good my first cup was..Italian Roast....mmmm..but to be honest our apt has no counter space for much and not much room for anything down below the counter..the machine fit space"just right"..eitherway we have settled the receipt with 100% money back anytime....for the time being it works :wink2:

ST

Well..today was a long day at bed bath and beyond...had a bunch of 20% off and $5 off coupons...we settled on the Keurig Vue700...saved a nice chunk o change at checkout..I like my coffee strong and was suprised how good my first cup was..Italian Roast....mmmm..but to be honest our apt has no counter space for much and not much room for anything down below the counter..the machine fit space"just right"..eitherway we have settled the receipt with 100% money back anytime....for the time being it works :wink2:

ST

Congrats on the new machine. Good luck!

In the UK, we used to have a little fondness for something called the Teasmade. It would sit beside your Bed as an Alarm Clock and brew you Tea when you woke up. I had one once and although it had a good Alarm, it did not make a nice cuppa. It must have been down to its inability to warm the Tea Pot up!

All 3 provide the fullest flavor with fresh roasted beans and are the least expensive besides a Chemex(another good option)

I looked at the Chemex after reading this. It looks like a fancy pour-over cup (that you can get for under $10). Is there more to it than that? If not, the pour-over cup would be another good option to consider. I have one that I use from time to time.

I looked at the Chemex after reading this. It looks like a fancy pour-over cup (that you can get for under $10). Is there more to it than that? If not, the pour-over cup would be another good option to consider. I have one that I use from time to time.

The chemex is all glass, which is a huge plus for me. The standard filters papers are meant for chemistry, so they really filter out a lot, including the oils. They're also incredible strong: I've never once had a tear with them. Like any manual drip thing, it does require some practice to get the timing and grind right.

I have a Pixie that has north of a thousand shots and it just keeps going. Wanted to replace it with a Maestria but the Pixie just won't stop. On the weekend there was a big sale on Nespresso machines so a new one is on the way. The Chinese ones don't look as sturdy. Can you share what model you had? Hope the new machine meets your expectations.

Top Bottom