What's new

Original Programming: Streaming Series

My Netflix DVD queue has been hijacked by my 14 yr old daughter, so I have been exploring the streaming options from both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I will open this by stating that the streaming experience has vastly improved over the past couple of years, but it has not reached the point where it is DVD quality (never mind Blu Ray). The picture quality is generally good, mostly HD, but there is lack of consistency that can sours my enthusiasm, after which I take an extended break from use. The reason for the lack of consistency is indeterminate; I have Vz FiOS as my internet provider, with 75/75 Mbps tier including the Quantum router. I watch Amazon Prime using the app on my Panasonic plasma (hardline) and Netflix from my Panasonic Blu Ray player (hardline).

Amazon Prime Streaming series

Bosch: I wasn’t familiar with the source material, so there weren’t any preconceived notions about how Harry Bosch should look / act. It started really strong, but seemed to fade as it progressed – the tight dark pacing of the first couple of episodes began to relax into a show that was less gritty than broadcast fare (like “The Shield”). Even though all episodes were available for bingeing – it took me over 2 wks to finish the series because I didn’t get immersed. Although props to the repurposed cast alumni of “The Wire”

Alpha House: This is one that I do binge straight through the season’s release. Partially because the 25 min episodes are tightly paced and partially because it is a comedy, but mostly because the casting, acting and satirical / situational comedy is great fun. It is from Doonesbury creator Gary Trudeau, so you’ll know its political bent within a few viewings, but to me it doesn’t matter because it is so damn entertaining

Next in the queue: Mozart in the Jungle

Netflix Streaming series

Lilyhammer: The first original series I ever watched streaming (back in 2012) and still a favorite. Steven Van Zandt gets his “Silvio” groove back as “Frank the Fixer” – a mobster who chooses witness protection in Lillehammer, Norway because he had fond memories of watching the Olympics on TV. NYC wiseguy in rural Norway – how can it not be awesome?

Daredevil: I am a fan of comic book movies (although not comic books), so Daredevil is right in the wheelhouse. It is dark, gritty and violent with an exceptional performance by Vincent D’Onofrio as the villain Wilson Fisk. There is plenty of backstory and character development so those unfamiliar with Daredevil and Hell’s Kitchen section of NYC where he operates will quickly be caught up. This series was designed to be a single season gateway show for other Marvel/Netflix series, but was strong enough to be renewed for another season. Quality stuff

Next in the queue: Hemlock Grove, Marco Polo, Bloodline, House of Cards

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by the Netflix, and even Amazon's series.

Marco Polo was a real surprise, I didn't think I'd like it, wow!
Lillyhammer, Bloodline ( a slow starter but builds), and House of cards are all great.
Hemlock grove and Daredevil are only ok to me, but might be great if you follow the comic. Mozart in the Jungle is an easy watch, kind of shallow and doesn't require lots of attention, just what I like while winding down after a hard day. I need to give Bosch another go, and Alpha house is in my que.

There are some good, somewhat obscure shows on both as well. BBC Shameless on Netflix, and BBC The Fades on Amazon are both good.

I no longer have satellite or cable tv, don't miss it a bit. I'm putting up an antenna for backup in case I loose my cable internet due to outages this summer.

Also check out The Man in the High Castle pilot on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Cast...998077&sr=1-1&keywords=man+in+the+high+castle

It's been picked up for series. I loved the book and I can't wait to see the rest.

I loved Daredevil, it gives me high hopes for the other upcoming Marvel Netflix series, A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders.

I just started Marco Polo but I haven't made it through the first episode.

Last edited:
Also check out The Man in the High Castle pilot on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Cast...998077&sr=1-1&keywords=man+in+the+high+castle

It's been picked up for series. I loved the book and I can't wait to see the rest.

I loved Daredevil, it gives me high hopes for the other upcoming Marvel Netflix series, A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders.

I just started Marco Polo but I haven't made it through the first episode.

I am going to give The Man in the High Castle a view tonight

I liked Bojack Horseman quite a bit. I think I'm just the right age to get all the 80's references.

I wonder if the streaming services have ANY restrictions on what they can show. After Spartacus on Starz I don't think I'd care to see sexual taboo content pushed any farther and american TV is already pretty violent/graphic so maybe it is moot, but I wonder if Netflix COULD (not that I think they will) make a show even more extreme than Starz/HBO, etc. These channels are already more explicit than movies in most ways. But are they governed by the FCC? Can they show ANYTHING?

Daredevil is fantastic.

i forgot where i read it, but apparently netflix has struck a deal with Marvel and they will be showing more Marvel Series.

I liked Bojack Horseman quite a bit. I think I'm just the right age to get all the 80's references.

I wonder if the streaming services have ANY restrictions on what they can show. After Spartacus on Starz I don't think I'd care to see sexual taboo content pushed any farther and american TV is already pretty violent/graphic so maybe it is moot, but I wonder if Netflix COULD (not that I think they will) make a show even more extreme than Starz/HBO, etc. These channels are already more explicit than movies in most ways. But are they governed by the FCC? Can they show ANYTHING?

You have watched Spartacus on Starz, so you have already answered your own question. That show and Rome on HBO were both very entertaining - but I would give HBO the nod for production quality (hence, the show was expensive & cancelled) while Starz gets the nod for gratuitous sex (and considering Rome, that is saying something)

The pay-to-view services are competing for the same consumer discretionary income as the movie studios and they have the advantage of already being in your house, where the drinks and snack are included, there are no idiots with questionable hygiene practices shouting instructions to the characters on the screen and you can pause it to suit your needs.

Putting out original content that has production values equal to 90% of theatrical releases (summer blockbusters excepted) is (in my opinion) brilliant. They can and will push further than the movie studios because the consumer wants it, there are no ratings boards or sponsors to answer to and it turns a profit

Top Bottom