What's new

Open Comb comparisons, which do you like better?

I'm interested in a comparison between the Merkur 15c (which utilizes the same head as their 1904 OC) and the Razorock Old Type OC. For those that have both, could you tell of any perceived differences, or how each feels, which one is smoother, which head profile do you like better, etc..... and which one you prefer overall?

Merkur 15c:

Merkur-15c.jpg

or the Razorock Old Type OC:
Razorock old type.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today I used my 1904. I also have the 23C (same head but long handle) and the RR Old Type. All three are quite nice but the RR Old Type is the steal of the three; slightly more efficient and at $8.00 for the head or < $15 for the whole razor it's hard to beat.

I only have the RR OLD, but I’ll answer as best I can. I like the OLD quite a bit. I find it to be fairly mild feeling on the face, but still is relatively efficient. I think it is a bit less efficient than the Rockwell 6s on plate 4 but more efficient than a DE89 if that helps hone in on it. As far as cap profile, I think it is easily one of the easiest razors to get under my nose and mustache area. I’ve got a large Mediterranean schnoz, so some thicker cap razors I have issues with under there. I don’t go ATG on my mustache area so that is something to consider. I also shave very shallow, “riding the cap” as much as possible.

As mentioned before, the OLD is a steal at its price. I think I got it with a stainless handle from RR, so the head seemed to almost be free in my mind. So it comes down to what you’re looking for. Mild face feel, efficient, rigidly held blade? Check. Super efficient? Not as much. It won’t be beating out my artist club razors or my supply injector for efficiency. It does its job VERY comfortably though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

member 119848

How about Charcoal Goods razors (with the same level of agressiveness):
open comb versus solid bar.
Has anyone directly compared the two?
Thanks for your imput! :001_smile
upload_2018-5-22_19-34-11.jpeg

Top Bottom