What's new

Online meat ordering

Anyone have experience with places like butcherbox or someplace similar?I’m looking at that and a fish place. I live in a cruddy place for good meat and seafood. Just looking for options.

Nate, you say you live in a bad place for good meat. You may want to do an online search to see if there are sustainable, non factory sized farms in your area. The type that actually lets their animals eat grass and the chickens eat bugs. Call them up and see if they sell to the public. A lot of people don't realize that some of the best quality meat you can buy is right down the road from them, they're just so used to shopping at the market. The one I used to frequent stopped selling to the public, unfortunately, but I would go there and buy a quarter of a cow. When it came time to process the animal, I could request certain cuts or certain ground beef and steaks. That highest quality, grass fed meat ended up costing me LESS than what I'd pay for it at a chain grocery store. Not to mention they even offered fresh grass fed butter, goat cheese, bacon and farm fresh eggs. If you have an extra freezer, I'd definitely consider it. It may even be worth it to drive a couple hours to one.

Many people don't even realize they have this option if they do their research. Many of these farms don't advertise a whole lot.

Nate, you say you live in a bad place for good meat. You may want to do an online search to see if there are sustainable, non factory sized farms in your area. The type that actually lets their animals eat grass and the chickens eat bugs. Call them up and see if they sell to the public. A lot of people don't realize that some of the best quality meat you can buy is right down the road from them, they're just so used to shopping at the market. The one I used to frequent stopped selling to the public, unfortunately, but I would go there and buy a quarter of a cow. When it came time to process the animal, I could request certain cuts or certain ground beef and steaks. That highest quality, grass fed meat ended up costing me LESS than what I'd pay for it at a chain grocery store. Not to mention they even offered fresh grass fed butter, goat cheese, bacon and farm fresh eggs. If you have an extra freezer, I'd definitely consider it. It may even be worth it to drive a couple hours to one.

Many people don't even realize they have this option if they do their research. Many of these farms don't advertise a whole lot.

I get my eggs local. I live in the desert and local is not really an option. I looked outward 100 miles in each direction and the ranches don’t sell individually. One guy said there really wasn’t a market for it. Too few people in this region.

I get my eggs local. I live in the desert and local is not really an option. I looked outward 100 miles in each direction and the ranches don’t sell individually. One guy said there really wasn’t a market for it. Too few people in this region.

That's too bad. A local organic farm would be your best choice as opposed to the industrialized beef producing factories. Cows were meant to eat grass, not corn, and since they get ill from the corn, antibiotics are added to keep them healthy. Used to be, "You are what you eat." Now it's, "You are what you eat eats!"

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Have you thought about going in half with someone and getting a cow at a local stockyards auction? Don't know how many meat processing plants there are in your area, but that is about the cheapest way to get good meat. You'll need a good freezer though.

Also, some meat processing plants have their own meat counter in the shop.

Have you thought about going in half with someone and getting a cow at a local stockyards auction? Don't know how many meat processing plants there are in your area, but that is about the cheapest way to get good meat. You'll need a good freezer though.

Also, some meat processing plants have their own meat counter in the shop.

I wanted to go this route a few years ago. Unfortunately my wife does not eat a lot of beef anymore and the kids don't either, so I'm afraid it would go to waste. Even a quarter would be too much. Plus, we would like to eat more seafood. Slim pickings out here in the desert southwest, that's why I was aiming for the box.

I've only ordered Omaha Steaks and Allen Brothers. The former I had a gift certificate, the latter is amazing.

Last Christmas we were gifted some steaks and other meats from Omaha Beef. The quality was not any better than what we can get from the local grocery store.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Last Christmas we were gifted some steaks and other meats from Omaha Beef. The quality was not any better than what we can get from the local grocery store.

I noticed the same thing when we received some Omaha Steaks a little while back. I don't think that's so much of Omaha's quality dropping as much as it is an increase in quality of what we can find in the stores.

Allen Brothers is terrific. Their lamb chops are incredible.

I've been intrigued by ButcherBox and am listening to see if anyone has any experience with them.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I took delivery of my first box about a week and a half ago. Quite a bit of packaging. A Styrofoam cooler inside a cardboard box. They want to keep it frozen. I understand that if you are in outlying areas they add dry ice.

I've enjoyed the three steaks I've cooked so far. Thicker cut than I typically see in the supermarket but a little thinner than I'd ask from a butcher. I prefer inch thick for grilling. Chicken breasts have been nice as well as the breakfast sausages.

Overall pretty good but the main reason I'm trying it is the grass fed pasture raised aspect. I'm going to get one more box but I'm not sure the value is there vs. some other options. Let's say you stuck to one item such as Rib-Eye steak. for $200 Canadian (about 150 US) you would get 10 steaks 8 to 10 oz. For me the price per oz. is about double what I'd pay for AAA steak from M & M Meat markets which is a Frozen perhaps premium food market chain where I am. Granted They don't do 8-10 oz portions . . . more around the 6 oz mark.

Of course part of the beauty is that you can stick to one cut or the cuts you like vs. buying even a Quarter . . . and I can get a quarter grass fed etc. for 800 bucks probably 90 Lbs finished weight but you always end up finishing the stuff you like first and end up with a freezer filled with round roast or something.

As I say . . . I'm going to try a bit more.

I took delivery of my first box about a week and a half ago. Quite a bit of packaging. A Styrofoam cooler inside a cardboard box. They want to keep it frozen. I understand that if you are in outlying areas they add dry ice.

I've enjoyed the three steaks I've cooked so far. Thicker cut than I typically see in the supermarket but a little thinner than I'd ask from a butcher. I prefer inch thick for grilling. Chicken breasts have been nice as well as the breakfast sausages.

Overall pretty good but the main reason I'm trying it is the grass fed pasture raised aspect. I'm going to get one more box but I'm not sure the value is there vs. some other options. Let's say you stuck to one item such as Rib-Eye steak. for $200 Canadian (about 150 US) you would get 10 steaks 8 to 10 oz. For me the price per oz. is about double what I'd pay for AAA steak from M & M Meat markets which is a Frozen perhaps premium food market chain where I am. Granted They don't do 8-10 oz portions . . . more around the 6 oz mark.

Of course part of the beauty is that you can stick to one cut or the cuts you like vs. buying even a Quarter . . . and I can get a quarter grass fed etc. for 800 bucks probably 90 Lbs finished weight but you always end up finishing the stuff you like first and end up with a freezer filled with round roast or something.

As I say . . . I'm going to try a bit more.

Was this Buthcher box?

Top Bottom