What's new

Olive Oil Preshave

I had to shave without the benefit of a preshave shower. I got to thinking about the preshave oils and since I had some olive oil, wife keeps it for her hair, I decided to give it a try. I put hot, wet towels on for a couple minutes and then the olive oil, leaving it on for a minute or so while I made lather. Then I lathered up as usual. I used a '47 SS with a third shave red pack and got a great shave in two passes. Maybe there were other factors but I believe I will do this again when needed.
Is this what the preshave oils do? Is olive oil just as good? Do you lather on top of it, or just use the oil?

For the last few weeks I've been using olive oil as a shave oil - not as a PRE-shave oil. It provides excellent protection and lubrication. Whatever second and third pass sting I used to get, I no longer do, regardless of the blade I choose. I plan on experimenting with other base oils to see if lighter ones work. For more on base oils, wander on over to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_oil

Recently started using old C&E massage oil as a pre shave. Excellent results--better glide, closer shaves and enhanced skin care.

I recently read an article online(it must be true) about shaving with olive oil. It was an interesting read, but when I got to the end I realized it was about women shaving their legs. I don't see why it wouldn't work for us as well.

I stopped using prepared pre-shave oil a little while ago. I liked it, but I found it was extremely heavy. I was using TOBS pre-shave oil. I tried EVOO and loved it. It was lighter, didn't leave a greasy residue on my face after rinsing, and improved the overall health of my facial area.

I also found that EVOO doesn't have a competing smell with the shaving creams and/or aftershaves.

I only use EVOO if I am using shaving cream. I do not use it with shaving soaps.

The only downside is that the sink looks like the Exxon Valdez stopped by after I finish, but nothing a quick scrub can't clean.

The AoS pre-shave oil seems to work much the same as olive oil -- but with a hint of mint. Plus it costs a lot more!:sneaky2:

I use it as a pre-shave. I find my skin doesn't dry out as much when I do, even if I use an alcohol aftershave: I find I'd use it for this reason over the softening and glide properties. I find the soap/cream helps 'take' or clean some of the oil off so your skin isn't too oily afterwards. But I don't use very much at all; I'm worried about getting some on/in my brush and gunking up my razor if I use a lot. Anyone have that problem?

I added olive oil as a preshave today and it made a difference. The blade really glided across my face (and it wasn't even a fresh blade!). There's an ehow on making your own preshave oil (http://www.ehow.com/how_4745645_make-preshave-oil.html) and it calls for dilluting the olive oil with castor oil and adding an essential oil of choice. Castor oil costs less than EVOO, so I'll go ahead and experiment with that after finals week :)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A pre-shave oil will provide extra lubrication for your shave. You could use pre-shave oil to shave. You will add the pre-shave oil and massage it on your beard. You will then build some lather and apply on top. I stopped using pre-shave oil as it was too greasy. I didn't like the feeling afterwards.

Using pre-shave oil is one way to do your prep. If it works, it's good!

I paid $22.00 for a tiny bottle of Nancy Boy Pre-Shave oil. EVOO works just as well and cost a lot less.

I added olive oil as a preshave today and it made a difference. The blade really glided across my face (and it wasn't even a fresh blade!). There's an ehow on making your own preshave oil (http://www.ehow.com/how_4745645_make-preshave-oil.html) and it calls for dilluting the olive oil with castor oil and adding an essential oil of choice. Castor oil costs less than EVOO, so I'll go ahead and experiment with that after finals week :)

Looking forward to hearing how your experiment goes. I bookmarked the link and will give it a try if you experiment sounds promising.

I did the same thing last month while on R&R. 50% EVOO and 50% castor oil.

Do a google search for Oil Cleansing Method also.

Yes, I saw the oil cleansing method website and I'm looking forward to giving it a try next week. I'm going to use sunflower oil instead of EVOO. Were you happy with the results?

Last edited:
Sounds like olive prep would be a winner. I dated an Italian chick and she used olive oil as a moisturizer sometimes. She had lovely skin so I guess I can't be all that bad and is most likely very good to use. Have to try that tomorrow for my shave.

What are your thoughts on adding one of these essential oils (lemon, orange, peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary or lavender/tea tree) instead of lavender for superstango's castor, olive and essential oil pre-shave cocktail?

Last edited:
Top Bottom