What's new

Old Times

I smoked a pipe in college and law school. I miss it.

Back in the day (70’s) you could pick up a Dr. Graybow or Yellobole for a few bucks, some Borkum Riff and a pipe tool and you were in business.

I loved pipesmoking. Reading a casebook and preparing a brief sucking down some good leaf was wonderful. The only downside was you couldn’t talk and smoke a pipe. It would go out. It was a solitary, contemplative thing.

I gave it up when I got married and had kids. But every ten years or so I go back to it. It’s gotten a lot more expensive.

I miss it.

Grab a cob and some SWR, half&half or any OTC, a Bic lighter, a pipe tool and you’re all set.

We’re waiting for you :c1:

There's still a lot of great leaf to be had out there that doesn't break the bank.
And with a little time on the bay you can find a grabow or better for a song if you're patient.
Yes; nearly all my pipes either date from the '80s/'90s, when they were new and inexpensive, or from EBay/Etsy/Blue Room Briars.

Not sure how Borkum Riff was back then but nowadays it’s a soggy mess drenched in Propylene Glycol. Either you thoroughly dry it or risk a hot tongue. Better to go with one of the Codger blends or a light English that doesn’t smoke hot so easily.

Nothing wrong with a M.M. cob and some codger blend....that's how I got started and to be honest I enjoy smoking a cob from time to time. You can always use a roofing nail or a golf tee as a pipe tool.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
On my many returns to pipe smoking I smoked corn cobs. They do smoke well. I also switched to Sail and Carter Hall.

Maybe when the weather gets warm again.
If you haven’t had an opportunity to see the Missouri Meerschaum website lately, they’ve come a long way in providing “better” options on their cobs. Yeah, granted, some of the cobs could cost the same as an inexpensive briar but they are still good smokes and they are still inexpensive themselves. Even if you’d still like to get an $8.00 Legend, you could go to Vermont Freehand and have an acrylic Forever Stem made for $18. Just throwing out options.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you would like a Grabow, try your local "discount" smoke shop. They have cards of the Duke model around here for about $40 or so. And it does get more expensive now days. Due to the "shortages" I have to order tubs of Prince Albert from Smokingpipes as the local smoke shop hasn't had it for awhile. A tub last me for about a year though.

Also:

If you haven’t had an opportunity to see the Missouri Meerschaum website lately, they’ve come a long way in providing “better” options on their cobs. Yeah, granted, some of the cobs could cost the same as an inexpensive briar but they are still good smokes and they are still inexpensive themselves. Even if you’d still like to get an $8.00 Legend, you could go to Vermont Freehand and have an acrylic Forever Stem made for $18. Just throwing out options.

Don’t forget too, if you go for the more expensive M.M. Cobs they almost always come with an acrylic stem that you can save for the next pipe. I usually save what I can off of a cob and reuse for my own use.

Larry

Top Bottom