What's new

Old DE ID

Hey guys

I found a DE that belonged to my Great-Grandfather that needs identifying. From what little I can see on the underside it's an old Gillette open-comb, but otherwise it's tarnished almost to black.

proxy.php

Since I have no idea what metal is under there, what would be a good way to clean this bad boy up and get rid of that tarnish?

Sweet, that looks exactly like it. Thank you!
Is that made of actual silver then or just plated? It would explain the tarnish.

Hey guys

I found a DE that belonged to my Great-Grandfather that needs identifying. From what little I can see on the underside it's an old Gillette open-comb, but otherwise it's tarnished almost to black.

Since I have no idea what metal is under there, what would be a good way to clean this bad boy up and get rid of that tarnish?

Very nice. The black tarnish is a good indicator that its silver plated. I'd recommend using a soft bristled toothbrush and some soap to clean off any gunk it may have accumulated over the years and then using a gente polish designed for silver items, like MAAS. Not Brasso, as its very aggressive and can strip away the plating. That should clean off the tarnish and make it shine.

Awesome find. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom