What's new

Oivin(?) 6/8 French Point in Red Acrylic

This is a "work in progress", the blade needs a bit more work sanding/polishing (waiting on the rotary sanding discs that Bill suggested) and now I've seen the pics I think I'll need to make a few other tweaks.

The makers mark on the shank reads OIVIN A PARIS on two lines, for symmetry it looks like there's another letter in front of the "O" but I can't make it out (any suggestions would be appreciated).

The red acrylic (and some other colours for future projects) came from sim-acrylics on ebay. The black acrylic for the wedge was from Freedom, as was the brass hardware (thanks Chris).

I'd planned that the razor would sit flat, when closed, unfortunately the razor is quite shank heavy so it sits up on it's tail a bit too much :mad3: SWMBO says it looks a bit "fishy" but I'm not sure if that's a good thing :huh:

I cut the acrylic with a dremel (thanks to Nerdman for some pointers) and then hand sanded the final shape.

Once I've finished it I will file down the hex heads and nuts to minimise them a bit (I'm still not ready to peen! :lol:)

As ever, (constructive) criticism is welcome :001_smile

Last edited:
This is a "work in progress", the blade needs a bit more work sanding/polishing (waiting on the rotary sanding discs that Bill suggested) and now I've seen the pics I think I'll need to make a few other tweaks.

The makers mark on the shank reads OIVIN A PARIS on two lines, for symmetry it looks like there's another letter in front of the "O" but I can't make it out (any suggestions would be appreciated).

The red acrylic (and some other colours for future projects) came from sim-acrylics on ebay. The black acrylic for the wedge was from Freedom, as was the brass hardware (thanks Ian).

I'd planned that the razor would sit flat, when closed, unfortunately the razor is quite shank heavy so it sits up on it's tail a bit too much :mad3: SWMBO says it looks a bit "fishy" but I'm not sure if that's a good thing :huh:

I cut the acrylic with a dremel (thanks to Nerdman for some pointers) and then hand sanded the final shape.

Once I've finished it I will file down the hex heads and nuts to minimise them a bit (I'm still not ready to peen! :lol:)

As ever, (constructive) criticism is welcome :001_smile

Bad *** man! that looks really cool. I like the stream line look of the scales. Cant wait to see it with that blade all polished up! Im glad my thread was a little helpful! Make sure you put some pics up when its done. I want to see how the hex heads turn out:thumbup1:

I did think of making the wedge out of stone or something heavier than the acrylic to help it sit better, but I was worried it might throw the balance off too much. I've got some grinding wheels with very fine points...I'll take off as much of the hex heads as I can without losing strength.

Looks great, nice and bold shape, getting it to fit the tail is a nice touch. I am still anticipating a picture of your wood scales treated.

Looks great, nice and bold shape, getting it to fit the tail is a nice touch. I am still anticipating a picture of your wood scales treated.

It started with just a straight cut-off at the tang....but it didn't look right. I just used a sanding drum to bring it down to match the tang's lines. IMHO I think the curve makes it flow (a bit) better :001_smile

I have put a clear polyurethane finish on the maple scales. Unfortunately, I got some dust on them as the second coat was drying. I haven't yet got round to sanding them back and starting again :blush: It's not a big deal with that blade as I think it's going to remain as just a letter opener! :lol:

Top Bottom