What's new

Oh No, I have SE RAD

Guys,

I need some help from the SE experts. I own two SE razors, a 1912 and a "Military Razor." (I'm not sure that the Military Razor is designed to accept modern SE blades. They seem just a bit small for the razor head.) Anyway, I got in on the group buy and have 200 good blades heading my way. I also have about $30 in the Razor Acquisition Fund (aka Paypal account). What should I buy? MM of some flavor? Another GEM? It seems that even though there are only a couple of blades to choose from, there are more razors in the SE world than in the DE.

Last edited:
Guys,

I need some help from the SE experts. ... What should I buy? MM of some flavor? Another GEM? It seems that even though there are only a couple of blades to choose from, there are more razors in the SE world than in the DE.

I'm not an expert, but I found this thread helpful, member Darjeeling Express, with some generous loans from MrGuy et al, tries out almost all of the different SE models over the period of a few weeks. An interesting study!

Just because it is so sexy...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm on the road this week and decided to take my recently acquired G-bar (checked bags, so I was able to take some blades). This morning was my first shave with the G-bar, and man was it a smooth one. I'd been shaving with the Cobra Classic for the last few weeks. The transition to the Gem was easy, and my shave was every bit as close and comfortable. The Gem blades feel a bit different than the Kais and Feathers I use in the Cobra. Stiffer and perhaps more efficient. And although different, I don't prefer one over the other, yet. It's a nice variety. And it solidifies my resolve to acquire a few mode SEs... Going to post WTB now!

The SE world is a lot larger than just the 1912 variations and the micromatics. I see some have mentioned the Valet, and yes that's nice too.
Here are some of my lesser known favorites.

The Perfecta

The Rapide (version which has blade stops), which I discovered will accept both standard SE blades and the valet style feathers
proxy.php

The Heljestrand, which I seem to have no picture of my own, so I'm borrowing drews50's pic of his.

and here's just some eye candy for those asking for a Damaskeene open comb pic...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an expert, but I found this thread helpful, member Darjeeling Express, with some generous loans from MrGuy et al, tries out almost all of the different SE models over the period of a few weeks. An interesting study!

OMG! I think I need a new keyboard. This one has drool all over it.

That is an absolutely awesome thread. Thanks for pointing it out. I learned a ton. Those early razors really were works of art. I'm still not sure which ones (plural) to get first. But I'm definitely now in the market.

I have five SEs. I'm going to sell 4 of 'em, and keep the other as a museum piece.

I have tried all of them multiple times, but I just don't understand why anybody likes these things. I don't enjoy shaving with an SE at all. I like DEs a hundred times better. I'd actually rather shave with a Trac II than with an SE.

I'll be putting my SEs up on the B/S/T sometime soon, so if anybody is looking for one to try out, watch for 'em.

I have five SEs. I'm going to sell 4 of 'em, and keep the other as a museum piece.

I have tried all of them multiple times, but I just don't understand why anybody likes these things. I don't enjoy shaving with an SE at all. I like DEs a hundred times better. I'd actually rather shave with a Trac II than with an SE.

I'll be putting my SEs up on the B/S/T sometime soon, so if anybody is looking for one to try out, watch for 'em.

I have only one, a Micromatic that I believed was a Clog-pruf, except mine has no embossed aiming dot on the top door. It does a better job in a first WTG pass than almost any other safety razor can do in two passes. I looked for an SE to stand in for one I lost along the way from 1954 to 2012. I think that the one I used then was a Gem "Junior". This Gem MM was what I found. So far, I haven't seen a lot of improvement for me after I add a second pass with it. It does balance well, and offers excellent feel and feedback.

Another recent acquisition, standing in for the Schick Injector Model I / J razors that I had during 1957 / 1962, is a Schick Model G8. It shaves nicely on a first pass, and does so practically automatically, much the way that cartridge razors make the mechanical shaving process so easy, and like them, is easier to handle "blind" in spots not easily seen, such as immediately below the jawline, than other razors, besides my Sensor and TracII razors.

It has an overall poor balance, very head-heavy, and not really a good feel to it, because it is far too light in weight, I think.

I'm about to make some comparison tests among lightweight razors, including the Injectors and TracIIs. I do not know why I stopped using Injectors in 1962 or so. I do know that every disposable I've held has seemed so flimsy I didn't want to shave with it. Perhaps I wasn't getting a good feel from the Schicks for the same reason. I don't have a Bic "Metal" yet, but here is where the weights seem to line up:

Comparing some weights: lightest to heaviest:

Bic Sensitive
Wilkinson Bonded
Atra, black plastic handle
Gillette TracII
Schick Hydromagic "I"
Schick G8
TracII, Bump Fighter

(I won't be including any pivoting head models in the actual tests I'll be making.)

The Clog Pruf had no dot, or 'guiding eye'. That was a feature of the 'flying wing' or 'bullet tip' as we sometimes call it. Some bullet tips had no guiding eye.

BINed this 1924:
$gem1924.jpg

It's got a couple of spots of plate loss, but at $8 I couldn't resis...

Got it primarily for the handle, as my 1912 round top has one of those tiny 2 1/4" lined traveller handles and I really wanted, er, no really needed a longer handle, yeah that's the ticket. It's not like I had a compulsion to get it.

Hey, I don't get any sense of fulfillment from acquiring inanimate objects at low prices! I actually use all the razors I get!

No RAD here ... nope ... hey I've only got 20 ... or maybe 25 razors, which is NOTHING compared to a lot of you guys.

I'm fine ... yup ... A-O-K.

Those must be hard to find, Will need to add to list. Looking for a Streamline at the moment, missed one by $30 on the bay.

You know, they have become extremely hard to find. I can't recall the last one I saw....maybe 8 months ago? They kinda come in bunches but in the 3 years I have looking for them, I have probably only seen about 10. By all means...get the Streamline first!!!! The best SE ever made IMHO.

Top Bottom