Fri 16th #5TabacOCtober#12 SOTD
Soap Tabac
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor RazoRock SLOC DOC
Blade Gillette London Bridge 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Thick creamy and slick lather from the soap.
Shave with razor paired with blade was very good. Smooth and comfortable. Blade is still good and sharpish
3+1 pass with no issues. Not very efficient though. DFS result. Good post and aftershave. Rating 9/10
20201015_235609.jpg

20201016_154056.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Well, I'm having to do something that I'm not fond of, which is to post a bunch of shaves in batch. My preference is to post as I go, but life has been moving at lightspeed for me for the last couple of months, so here are my OC shaves for the last couple of weeks....

I'll start by saying the soap and the brush are pretty much "fixed" for this month: The B&M 2020 Hallows lathered with the RR Beehive 28mm Plissoft.

October 6th: British Glllette New RFB on a RR Halo Handle with GSB blade
proxy.php

Oct 7th: Gillette New Improved with a GSB blade
proxy.php

October 10th: Schick Magazine Repeating Razor (C1) with Proline B-20
proxy.php

October 12th: Micromatic Open Comb (Bumpless, 1930-1932) with GEM SS PTFE
proxy.php

October 13th: British 7 O'Clock "New" with Voskhod blade
proxy.php

October 15th: Gillette Popular with GSB blade
proxy.php

Razor: Fatip Retro
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)
Soap: Tabac puck
Brush: Fendrihan Synthetic

24 hour of growth, not a bad shave, but I think I'll go 48 hours for my next one. I don't think the Dorco Primes are the blade for this razor though, I'll try Nacet next, haven't done that one in this, or 7 O'Clock green SS (the Russian blade).

OCtober 16 - RR GC-OC84 v ATT R2 / Bic CrPt (1)

Two modern SS OC razors, one blade I'm revisiting, side by side.

The well-known RazoRock GC-OC84 (32g head) on a Ti 27g TiBam custom 12x75mm handle
The less known ATT R2 (41g head) on a Ti 29g rusdrunkbear custom 12x75mm handle.

27774FA1-0D69-435D-91F2-34DAE3F050B8.jpeg

Brothers by a couple mothers, sharing a Bic Chrome Platinum. I was not impressed by the shave quality or longevity of the first two blades out of this sampler tuck. Over a year later, Bic gets another chance.

Lather: SliceOfLife vintage Williams tribute puck and a cute little Simpson Duke 1 Best Badger. Excellent lather. Wow, badgers are so gentle as a brush. Meaner than a tanuki in the wild, I hear. But not as mean as a boar.

One pass and line up. ATG cheeks are BBS. I plan to treat myself to another one pass and clean up shave before bed. Use up some more OCs (double open combs?) and sleep smooth! Brilliant!

Where the extra ATT head grams came from:
F394590A-700A-4199-82A4-A204EBB62FC0.jpeg

+5g in the ATT cap, +4g in the ATT baseplate. Clearly the blade clamping is different, but for me the shaves are very similar. In this mini-shave, advantage RR GC in smooth, advantage ATT R2 in efficiency.

Continuing with my OCtober occasional check ins. On Tuesday I switched from the thin-cap Old Type to a NEW Long Comb and a new Gillette Nacet blade. The Long Comb is definately milder but still very efficient.

Today's OC shave:

Gillette NEW Long Comb
Gillette Nacet (4)
Semogue 1470 boar brush
Cella soap
Cold water to finish.

I've been switching between the Cella and Soap Commander Integrity. I generally like the Soap Commander better but with a little extra soap on the brush the Cella came pretty close this morning.

I'll switch to a new razor on Sunday or Monday and report back.

Probak / Vintage Wilkinson Sword (8) / Noxema Pre, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap / Pinaud Clubman AS--I've gotten better shaves in the past from the Proback which is a pretty mild razor in my opinion, so I think I was over reaching on my eighth shave on the vintage Wilkie, so it was retired afterward. Strong burn from the Pinaud, but the MWF and Nivea shave balm afterward quieted it. I put a NOS hone in the Rolls today which gave the blade a much more even edge than the old one... so I'm considering taking the Rolls for a spin (the ultimate Open Comb?) on Monday with the Gillette Milady Old Type as a backup.
PROBAK.jpg

Half way into day 1, the morning and evening one-pass shave plan seems perfectly reasonable. My new stretch goal: use every OC in inventory (including OC slants) by OCtober 31 (HallOCween). Can I locate/remember/deploy them all? Am I deranged? I haven't even counted them yet. Special measures will be taken...

Razor: Gillette The New Long Comb Ball End
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Essence of Scotland Malt N Myrtle
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20201015_081927.jpg

OCtober 16 - Gillette Raised Flat Bottom NEW

Kept the Astra SP and put it in the RFB. Supremely easy low key shave. Sorta zoned out it was going so smoothly, just in time to get a single nick on my neck.

Prep: Hot Shower
OC: Gillette #77 Raised Flat Bottom NEW
Blade: Gillette Astra SP (5)
Soap: GFT Lime Shaving Cream
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole with Mühle STF
After: alum and Trumper Lime Skinfood
14512FE9-7883-4D39-96EC-1891F2D94469.jpeg

Top Bottom