What's new

Observations From 90 Days

Well, according to my shave log, I have been back traditional shaving for 90 days. I did traditional shaving years ago at the tail end of when it was “normal” shaving, but got away from it. I have always been a wet shaver, but prior to my return to traditional shaving I used canned gel and a Fusion (most recently). I have a few observations I thought I would share with the group. (By traditional, I mean using a brush, cream/soap and DE/straight razor).

Razors

The first DE I purchased when I came back was a Merkur 38 HD Classic Barber Pole Long Handle. I also quickly picked up a Merkur 46C for travel as well as a couple of SuperSpeeds and a few straights. I have used the 38HD 58 times and the 46C 20 times, the straights 5 times and the rest a smattering of times.

I quickly determined that I needed to pick a razor to work with because I was getting either razor burn or a reaction to Tabac and I wanted to know which it was. It was the razor, but I could only determine this by isolating all the other variables. Based on my early experience, I got the best and most comfortable shave with the 38HD. I picked it for home use and the 46C for travel which I do a fair bit of for work. It did not take long to come to understand the significant weight difference between the 38HD and 46C made for an entirely different experience. I prefer the heavier razor so I sold the 46C and purchased another 38HD with a case for travel. I am very pleased with the 38HD and it will remain my DE razor of choice. I doubt I will use my SuperSpeeds much and will probably PIF them eventually.

Straight shaving takes time and patience. Given that I have to look presentable to clients (which I don’t consistently when using a straight), I will probably save my straights until a time when I can dedicate a month to becoming proficient with them. I really like them, but I do get a fair razor burn with them – all technique I am sure.

Creams

I started this journey with a tub of AoS Sandalwood which I liked just fine, but it tended to make our sink/drains run slow and require frequent cleaning. I finished up the tub and, while I liked it enough, will not likely replace it as soaps are not causing drain issues.

I also tried Trupmers Rose cream and really disliked it as it was not particularly protective. I will not buy this again and am glad I just got a trial of it.

Additionally, I got a trial pack of Queen Charlotte soaps. Of the five I chose, Vostok was, by far, the winner. The others were fine, but Vostok was great. I will definitely be getting more Vostok but will probably go with the soap. Vostok also blew Bigelow (Poraso) green out of the water. I may PIF the Bigelow as it is nothing special.

Soaps

I have found that soaps perform just fine for me and are easier on the plumbing. I can’t say I will never purchase another cream, but I don’t really see a reason to go with one at this point.

I have Tabac in both stick and puck form and love it. It is a staple in my den and travel kit, but I have fiddled around with some Mike’s soaps (unscented puck & Lime stick) and really like it as well. If I could only have one, it would be the Tabac, but glad I can have more than one.

Brushes

I started with the AoS fine badger brush (their middle grade). I also picked up a Wee Scot, a 26/51 two band fine hair from a maker that draws visceral responses so I will not name it here and a Rudy Vey butterscotch 26/51 two band fine brush.

The AoS brush is a real flopper. It is fine for working with soft creams, but for Tabac or other hard soaps, forget about it. It will do it, but it takes three times longer to pick up the soap as either of the two band brushes. I do not like it and it is not in my rotation.

The Wee Scot is an good brush that travels great. It gives a good 3 pass shave and really out performs it size. I take it when space is a real issue, but if I have room, I take the unnamed 26/51 as it just performs better, but it is also far bigger.

The unnamed 26/51 is great for face lathering and traveling, but it is not so hot for bowl lathering unless you want lather all over your hands; the handle is short. Since I face lather sticks on the road, it fits this mission just fine and is a very nice brush.

The Rudy Vey butterscotch is a wonderful brush. I gave Rudy custom measurements and it is a 70mm long key hole handle with a 26/51 knot in two band fine. This brush does everything well except pack for travel, which was never its intended mission profile.

Given that I prefer soaps, I have found the 2 band brushes do a great job of picking up the soap and still having a soft luxury feel on the face. Glad it only took 4 brushes to figure this out. If I could only keep 2, I would keep the Rudy Vey for home and the unnamed brush for travel.

Blades

I lucked out right out of the box on this one. I hated the Merkur blades that came with their razors. I purchase a 100 pack of Personna Lab Blues and they have done the trick for me. I also tried a pack of Wilkinson Sword blades for travel and they are OK, but I have filled their container with Personnas rather than buying more Wilkinsons. The combination of the 38HD and Personna Lab Blues works well for me. Other blades may work as well, but I get a comfortable, blood-free BBS most days, so why switch.

Pre-Shaves

This may be a head game, but I do feel I get a better shave with a pre-shave oil. I hated the AoS oil as it was far too thick. I tried the Taconic oil and bingo, it did the trick at half the price of the AoS oil.

After Shaves

I have tried a few and they all work fine. Nothing special here, but I will note that the AoS is, while pretty expensive, pretty nice. I don’t know that I would give $40 for it again, but I will definitely use it up.

That is all I have. Just thought someone may be interested or get some value from this info.

Last edited:
Thanks for your impressions! I'm sort of bummed I missed the Wee Scot that was sold on B/S/T a couple days ago. Do you use a bowl, or a face-lather technique?

very good post... interesting :) i have to agree with you on trumpers as well, it is not good in my opinion

Top Bottom