What's new

Norton 4000/8000 alternative

Hi,

I'm getting a waterstone for my bday in a couple of weeks and so thought I'd choose a cheapish one if possible - my folks are going to offer it to me and they are both pensioners.
So the question is, are there any alternatives to the Norton 4000/8000 that are reasonably priced.
And before anyone suggests I don't fancy going with lapping films etc, I really want to give a try with a waterstone - I already have a coarser one for setting the bevel so need to get some finishing stones.
For info I'm in Belgium so I need to take into account the postage costs as well.

I did see somewhere (here?) that the Norton stones are made in Italy - anyone know if the factory has their own brand? :)

Thanks all!

Paul

Belgium? Coticule? If you want a water stone I would go with the Norton, surely there's a vendor close to you that sells them.

If a Norton is about $80 plus shipping to you your looking at at least $100 you can get a unseen 7" coticule deal from the superior shave for a bit more. Its up to you if you want to go natural or synthetic. I like the fact of honing on something that came out of the ground vs being man made

You might be able to get a coticule directly from the quarry for a better price. Might be worth a shot.

I know that you can get one directly from Ardennes. I just got mine in the mail and you will get a much better stone. You might even be able to go and pick your own out.

If a Norton is about $80 plus shipping to you your looking at at least $100 you can get a unseen 7" coticule deal from the superior shave for a bit more. Its up to you if you want to go natural or synthetic. I like the fact of honing on something that came out of the ground vs being man made

Not to mention you are going to have to purchase something to keep the Norton flat. Lapping a stone once with sandpaper is fine, but I couldn't bear to do it regularly.

Henckels Twin Stone Pro Finishing stone 3k/8k is another option....it's supposedly Naniwa. I actually prefer it to Norton and I have both.

You know...I've had weird luck with slate.

Example: with some time and effort I got a decently shaveable edge from a piece of 1880's schoolroom chalkboard, from bevel set to shave ready (thanks to Mike H for the piece!)

I've picked up a 12x12 piece of flooring slate tile that I lapped flat with my DMT 8c (after having it sliced into 3" widths). Slurries up real nice, and I use that as bevel set through about a Norton 6k....I've not tried to push it further, but I bet I could shave off of it. Cost me 2 bucks or something.

my church has a slate roof. I found a decent sized, fairly flat piece that had landed on the ground somehow. I'm currently working to lap that flat when I get a chance.

I found a relatively flat rock at work that I thought was cool. DMT'ed it and shaved off of it. Not a fantastic shave, but not horrible, and I bet with some work, it could easily get better.

I think that if you have DMT, keep your eyes open for flat rocks laying around that do not have aggregate in them (nice continuous structure), wash it off, lap it flat, and give it a go. Worst case you are out some time, best case you might have saved yourself a bundle of cash. Regardless, it is fun!

(btw, would that get me banned for suggesting that?)

Last edited:
A 75mm by 200mm Belgian Blue Whetstone from Ardennes-Coticule can be had for the same price or less of a Norton 4000/8000 waterstone, doesn't need constant flattening, is just as versatile or moreso and is the same size. I would recommend something smaller, but that big size is an option if you want it.

If you can get to the quarry im sure it would be worth it. See if you can get a BBW/Coticule. I have changed my tune and now think that this stone is ok for newbies. Its real hard to over hone with this so its more idiot proof. You can over hone much easier on a Norton. Now if you go for a smaller size 70x30 (or perhaps a bit bigger) it will come in at a similar price to the Norton combo new. Just email them at Ardennes. They are great people!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Why don't you like film? It is easier to get great results early on. It is cheap. You get a big honing surface, with no need for x-stroking. You never have to lap your lapping plate, and you will have to lap a stone. You don't have to make a slurry and wonder if it is time to dilute it or not. You won't need a finishing stone.

Top Bottom