What's new

Non-Traeger pellets in Traeger Smoker

I have read that all Traeger pellets are roughly 50% alder base wood (or oak if it's east coast) and 50% flavor wood, so the difference between cherry, pecan, or other wood pellets is diluted by about half. Why would Traeger market the differences between the woods if they're at least half the same?

Are there any 100% flavor wood pellets that work well in Traeger smokers?

Dave

I'm not an expert, but the mix of two different kinds of wood may be to help keep the flavor wood burning.

Or it may simply be more economical to manufacture it that way. The filler material cuts down on costs, and doesn't impart an unwanted taste to the flavor wood.

dpm802 is on target. My cousin used to work for a biomass company that manufactured pellets for Traeger and other companies. There is a certain amount of biomass "filler" added to most pellets in addition to the actual compressed flavored wood. It allows the pellets to burn longer while still imparting a smoke flavor.

I toss a few handfuls of pellets on when I am smoking in the Weber using the Smokenator insert.

I believe there are 100% pure flavored wood pellets but the downside is that they burn much faster and, if I understand correctly (This is dubious) don't add much more flavor for the extra amount that one has to use.

I use Lumberjack brand pellets, they make 100% flavor wood pellets in quite a few different varieties such as hickory, oak, cherry, maple, mesquite, and pecan. I know there are other brands that also make 100% varieties and I suggest you try a few to see what suits you best. I've tried quite a few different brands and have found Traeger's to be my least favorite(especially at the price), and have settled on Lumberjack as a very good pellet that can be had for much less than 1/2 the price of Traeger's. I think you will find that you get a smokier profile with 100% pellets especially with hickory and mesquite.

Top Bottom