What's new

Nib Acquisitions for January 2013

Legion

Staff member
This came today.

It's not quite a dip pen, but it's not really a fountain pen. It's the Esterbrook dipless desk pen.

It's quite an interesting design, the whole thing works on capillary action. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I might wait until I buy some Quink for it, rather than fill it up with anything too pricey just to test it. The base holds a lot more ink than a regular fountain pen.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I received my Pilot Metropolitan, a bottle of Noodler's X-Feather, some cleaning and cart refilling supplies, and a Rhodia webnote book. Here I thought the Pilot and Bic disposable Fp's wrote nice... uhm... after using the Metro, not so much. The pen is so nice, it makes me want to write bad checks, just to write with it!

Just received this this afternoon. Haven't inked it yet...in fact, I'm pretty sure it's never been inked!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a New Old Stock Black Esterbrook LJ with a 2668 Medium Firm Nib. Got it off the 'bay for a $19.99 (shipping included) Buy-It-Now! I gave it a good internal cleaning and not a speck of ink showed up. It's still got the original sticker. I'm letting it dry out now and will juice it up tomorrow and give it a try. I'm almost reluctant to peel off the sticker, but it is kinda ugly!

EDIT:
By the way, the pen looks a little dull and drab in the photos, but that's just many years of dust and grime. I just gave it a quick polishing with Meguiar's PlastX, and it's shining like it just left the factory!

Last edited:
Called into the post office this morning after a little geocaching and found my latest Goulet order waiting for me.
Ordered last year, so technically I haven't failed in my goal of no more fountain pens in '13

TWSBI Mini Classic with EF nib.
Also lollypop too!
proxy.php

Last edited:
I made the walk up to the Sleuth and Statesman shop at lunch today and made a modest purchase. I took the recommendation of the gentleman who helped me and purchased a bottle of blue-black Parker Quink for my first ever bottle of ink. I've already filled my Sheaffer with it and, so far, it feels a bit watery, but that could also be the fact that I flushed the pen and there is still a bit of water in there.

Most likely the water Jack I use the same Ink at work everyday and it is a very saturated ink it should come in thick once it displaces the water

Quink blue/black is a great ink. A true workhorse, I think they gave you a good recommendation.

I made the walk up to the Sleuth and Statesman shop at lunch today and made a modest purchase. I took the recommendation of the gentleman who helped me and purchased a bottle of blue-black Parker Quink for my first ever bottle of ink. I've already filled my Sheaffer with it and, so far, it feels a bit watery, but that could also be the fact that I flushed the pen and there is still a bit of water in there.

Today's Delivery:

I went cheap this week. I picked up this little Arnold lever-filler off Etsy for the princely sum of $4.95 (plus $1.99 shipping). It's a decent little pen (and it is little...it's even smaller than my Esterbrook "J"), but it was in new, unused condition, and writes quite well. A nice addition to the collection!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

An Esterbrook "J" (L) next to the Arnold (R).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After flushing the pin, prop it up vertically and have a paper towel under the nib. It will help wick the water out.

Top Bottom