What's new

Newbie Fountain Pen?

I'm looking into a fountain pen, something inexpensive in case it's not for me.

I have no experience with fountain pens; I normally use a gel pen.

I mean, NO experience with them. I don't know how to fill it, I know nothing about nibs, I don't know if it will leak, I don't know how costly it will be to have a supply of ink, and I'm a little worried I'll damage it because I'm heavy-handed.

I prefer a metal barrel to resin or plastic, but that may be out of my reach for a beginner. My budget is around $50 for the pen and an amount of ink.

Am I out of my element? Should I stick to a Pilot G2?

If you just want to try something out, there are plenty of options to get a metal bodied pen and a box of ink cartridges for under $50. You just insert the cartridge and off you go.

Modern steel nibs are pretty robust - as long as you don't try and engrave the paper you should be ok. Some companies sell replacement nibs and their pens are designed for them to be swapped. I recommended Lamy in another thread recently, and I would do again, but I don't want to be accused of being a shill for them.

I'm sure a lot of folk will also recommend the Lamy Safari. Loads of colours and either plastic / metal. Cheap as chips, cartridge or converter, and with easy to change nibs plus loads of variety with the nib sizes too. Can be licked up at any stationers too.

There are also pens made in China available on eBay or Etsy in the $20-$40 range that you might want to consider that are made by Kaco, Wing Sung, Pen BBS and Moonman - some metal, others acrylic or other materials. I have many and most are really good. Also the metal Hong Dian Forest can be had in about half a dozen colors from eBay for around $15. When it comes to inks, even a small bottle will last a long time. I suggest considering Diamine, which has a great selection of colors and a 30mm bottle will only set you back around $7.50.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Pilot is a good way to go. They have a good range a a price for every pocket. There are other great pens out there and always a good bargain to be got. A trip to a close pen shop and a knowledgeable, helpful assistant is a good way to go.

Not a fountain pen person. Knew zilch about them. My experience:

Bought a x450 Jinhao that came with a converter for like $5 on aliexpress. Heavy pen. Must be metal of some sort given the weight. Black and gold, flashy, expensive looking LOL.

Wife and kids got me a Parker Jotter fountain pen approx $25 . Smaller, lighter (but still metal I believe), a bit finer nib. Came with cartridges that I refill with my own ink and a syringe (sorta like using converter). It is lighter, less flashy, smaller so less bulky in pocket.

Both are "fun" to write with for me. I have not torn either of them up in trying to learn to clean them and failing to learn how to remove the nib on the jinhao lol. They both work well, have not leaked, only needed a quick soaking in warm water to clean them up and that nay have only been because I "thought" they needed cleaned. Very happy with both of them.

NOt sure what ink I got. Something someone heree recommended maybe? IDK but it was not expensive. The next batch I may splurge a bit on the ink and see if it "bleeds" less. Just make sure what in kyou get is FOR FOUNTAIN PEN.

That is all I know. Good luck and enjoy!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had no idea a decent fountain pen was so affordable.
Oh yeah! I think fountain pens still have kind of a mystique, for better or worse. People think of Montblanc or a fancy Parker their parents or grandparents had. But you can get great fountain pens for not much money. You'll also find that metal fountain pens tend to be on the lower end of the price spectrum. Quality resin pens actually cost a lot more.

Pilot Metropolitan is a great pen, though honestly I don't use mine so much anymore because I made the newbie mistake of getting the wrong nib size. Japanese "fine" is a good deal narrower than a European or American "fine"; I should have ordered a medium.

Anyway, I am going to be somewhat contrarian and recommend the Retro 51 Tornado fountain pen. I think it ticks a lot of your boxes - metal body, ~$50, cartridge/converter. Very well made. American company, but manufactured in Taiwan (if that matters to you one way or the other). Also, it has a German-made Jowo nib, the brand of nib typically used on $200-$300 custom pens. Jowo nibs are famously stiff and smooth, which sounds like it would suit you well if you write with a lot of pressure.

Concur re the Pilot Metropolitan M with converter and an ink cartridge for 20ish. A bottle of Pilot Ink is 15 ish max. 35 ish all in.

An alternative would be a Lamy Al-Star in M. The pen, an ink cartridge, a converter and a bottle of Lamy ink might just top your budget at 50-55 ish.

My first pen was a "student fountain pen" off of ebay for 99 cents and free delivery a few years back. Ended up being a Jinhau x450. Black all metal. Love that pen! Still have it and still use it. Pilot Metro is also good as is a Lamy. You can shop ebay or aliexpress and try a bunch of the cheaper pens to find out what type you like without breaking the bank.

I love my Pilot Falcons, but for a beginner, the Lamy Safari is a wonderful choice. The nib section has preset flat spots which dictate the correct position of the nib to paper, it can be used with a converter to load any ink that you choose and also can accommodate cartridges as well. You will definitely know after trying the Lamy if fountain pens are for you.

I believe that you will find yet another rabbit hole to run down, but don't let that stop you.

You might go to a pen show and pick up a nice used pen with a gold nib. Many can be had for less than a new steel nib pen. You will have a better writing nib and, in many cases, a better looking pen too.

I’m learning on a Lamy Safari. It’s grip teaches you how to hold the pen. You can refill it with Lamy proprietary cartridges or bur a converter snd use bottled ink.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm one of the heathens who decided to buy a few of the Chinese pens for less than £5 off ebay. A few years later, I still have those pens, they still work great, and I have zero desire to upgrade to something that costs many times the price, yet still only does the exact same thing. I mainly use a clear plastic piston thing, and a stainless bodied Baoer 388.

The only "upgrade" I did get was a Ohto Tasche, which has the added feature of closing up way smaller than most pens. Great for carrying with small notepads. Even that cost me less than £10 delivered.

I forgot to update... I received the Jinhao pens and they are impressive for the price. I am able to practice and try different inks and I have a couple of very nice ones that I now keep on me and use exclusively.

Top Bottom