What's new

New Vikings nrush

I'm completely new to straight razor shaving but I've been a wet shaver for awhile. I recently bought a Vikings shave brush and have only used it once so far. But so far so good. I like the feel of it and it has a good knot that picks up soap well and it didn't lose one hair the first time using it. Any thoughts on this brand? I also had a question. I haven't had a chance to handle various brushes but it seems they are pretty straight forward. What is the difference between a $39 brush such as my Viking and a $200 USD brush? I mean in terms of performance and not aesthetics.

It appears the one badger brush in the Vikings selection is just a Pure Badger, the lowest grade of badger knot. When you get into the higher end you're generally talking a higher grade of badger. I personally prefer higher grade badgers, but to each his own on that.

That was going to be my second question, what is the difference between a $30 brush and a $250 brush. I would probably like the higher grade badger as well however I've never felt one to know. But that's how I got into cigars, I once smoked a very nice one and then I threw down the grocery store cigars and now I have several humidor and coolidors of the best that can be had. Perhaps it's best if I don't look into the premium badger at least for now haha.

I think a main factor into a higher priced brush is artistic appeal as well. Higher grade, often more attractive materials are used for the handles. Depending on whom you are buying your brush from, the knots offered with those handles can be quite luxurious. Prime examples of this are Paladin Shaving and Brad Sears Brushworks. They provide a full brush experience that is top notch in every sense.

Another way to go is to buy an artisan handle or have a custom brush made to your desires and then send off to have a hand tied knot installed (Declaration Grooming or Mozingo Brushworks in US). We really have an embarrassment of riches with brush handle artisans (That Darn Rob, Turn N Shave, Dogwood Handcrafts, just to name a few). Those artisans also have high quality knots that will be cheaper than the custom hand tied knots.

The main difference I can find is that the higher quality knots feel much softer on the face with the higher grades, often without sacrificing backbone. Can a cheaper brush produce sufficient lather? Of course, it can. But the appeal of the handle and the luxuriousness of a higher quality knot will deliver a vastly different experience for most consumers.

So, it really comes down to personal choice and how each individual would rank its importance.

I think a main factor into a higher priced brush is artistic appeal as well. Higher grade, often more attractive materials are used for the handles. Depending on whom you are buying your brush from, the knots offered with those handles can be quite luxurious. Prime examples of this are Paladin Shaving and Brad Sears Brushworks. They provide a full brush experience that is top notch in every sense.

Another way to go is to buy an artisan handle or have a custom brush made to your desires and then send off to have a hand tied knot installed (Declaration Grooming or Mozingo Brushworks in US). We really have an embarrassment of riches with brush handle artisans (That Darn Rob, Turn N Shave, Dogwood Handcrafts, just to name a few). Those artisans also have high quality knots that will be cheaper than the custom hand tied knots.

The main difference I can find is that the higher quality knots feel much softer on the face with the higher grades, often without sacrificing backbone. Can a cheaper brush produce sufficient lather? Of course, it can. But the appeal of the handle and the luxuriousness of a higher quality knot will deliver a vastly different experience for most consumers.

So, it really comes down to personal choice and how each individual would rank its importance.
[/QUOTE

Boilerphan,
Thanks for the info although I imagine after I look into your suggestions I'm going to regret reading it because it's going to lead me to a large purchase.😆

Many variables here! You should look through the Wiki for a more complete description. Here is my ‘Cliff’s notes’ summary:

1. There is no agreed upon classification of badger hair grades. Each manufacturer has their own.
2. There are animal fibers. So there can be considerable variation from batch to batch even in the same grade from the same manufacturer.
3. Pricing is determined by many factors including: quality of the handle, size, amount of hair in the brush, scarcity of the particular ‘grade’ of hair, etc.
4. Higher price/scarcity of the hair grade may or may not make for better shaves.

In the end the only thing that matters is what makes you happy! Hope this helps. :a29:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What is the difference between a $39 brush such as my Viking and a $200 USD brush? I mean in terms of performance and not aesthetics.

There were a few of us that investigated badger brushes, knots and hair pretty deeply. We found that all badger hair comes from China. Most badger knots also come from China.

The main differences are the hair and knot grading systems used by certain manufacturers. Simpson brushes for example has a very stringent grading system and makes their own knots. That gives them much better control over the quality of the hair in their brushes and the quality of the knot over all. The same could be said for Shavemac and a few others.

Another benefit of dealing with a company like Simpson and/or Shavemac et.al, is the warranty. If you have a problem with the brush, like shedding or knot failure, they'll take care of you were other companies may not.

Simpson Brushes as well as PantaRei, Paladin and other brush makers, are also in the vendors section of B&B.

One of these?

They look a lot like Muhle brushes, which I understand, are pretty good.

Many variables here! You should look through the Wiki for a more complete description. Here is my ‘Cliff’s notes’ summary:

1. There is no agreed upon classification of badger hair grades. Each manufacturer has their own.
2. There are animal fibers. So there can be considerable variation from batch to batch even in the same grade from the same manufacturer.
3. Pricing is determined by many factors including: quality of the handle, size, amount of hair in the brush, scarcity of the particular ‘grade’ of hair, etc.
4. Higher price/scarcity of the hair grade may or may not make for better shaves.

In the end the only thing that matters is what makes you happy! Hope this helps. :a29:

Hi a29,

Thanks for the input. I'm top of my inexperience i also live in a rural setting and so I'm limited to my ability to have a hands on approach to various tools of the trade. You opened my mind to consideration i hadn't thought of and that helps a lot. I'm going to do some experimenting and let you guys know what I come up with.
Carl

Top Bottom