What's new

New to fountain pens

This morning was the first chance I had to rant use the Nemosine Fission, and man that's a nice pen! Super smooth, really just gives across the paper , no real effort at all. I even think my chicken scratch hand wiring may have improved a little .
When got home The replacement for the Metro came today (a day early). I just went up and put the cartridge in it and wrote big difference. Also very nice pen, but there seemed to be a bit of resistance when writing compare to the Fission .

My two Diplomat Magnums also came today, haven't ebbed opens the box yet But will update with pic when I do.

Next up (and lastly ) is a Nemosine Singularity, should get that Monday or Tuesday I believe.

I don't have that many pens, but I am really pleased with my Nemosine "Fission" as a daily carry. Assembled in Pittsburgh, with a nice German-made 0.6 mm italic stub nib.
Being all metal (brass, I think) makes it a bit on the heavy side, but it feels really substantial.
31 g with full converter, no cap.
47 g with full converter, and the cap.
I got mine when they were still USD$29, in January 2018.
Don't go to Amazon for them because they're ridiculously over-priced there. (Nearly triple?)QUOTE]

It was based on this that I ordered a Fission, and I'm so glad I. I can see this being my daily driver. If they get them in gunmetal again, I'll definetly be picking one up. I also have a Singularity coming, it was on clearance for $14. I didn't even see them on Amazon, I order direct. Triple is rather silly.

This morning was the first chance I had to rant use the Nemosine Fission, and man that's a nice pen! Super smooth, really just gives across the paper , no real effort at all.
[snip]
Next up (and lastly ) is a Nemosine Singularity, should get that Monday or Tuesday I believe.
Glad you like the Fission. Which nib did you get for it?
I found out that it's fairly easy to take the nib, feed, and section apart for a thorough cleaning.
Upon inspection with a 10X loupe I found a tiny bit of something in the slit of the nib and I was able to floss it out with a single strand of thread pulled from a scrap of Organza fabric.
This then gave me the idea of possibly getting a different nib for it some day.

Mine has the gunmetal finish, and I keep noticing trucks with a paint job that match the colour. Whatever the finish is, there is not a single scratch or sign of wear on it after more than a year of it being my EDC.

The Singularity was on my short list until I learned that some people had trouble with taking the cap off. It screws onto the section, and often the barrel would come off instead of the cap. The Nemosine cap screws directly onto the barrel, so it's not a problem.

New Monteverde acquisition:

Monte 1.jpg Monte 2.jpg Monte 3.jpg

Glad you like the Fission. Which nib did you get for it?
I found out that it's fairly easy to take the nib, feed, and section apart for a thorough cleaning.
Upon inspection with a 10X loupe I found a tiny bit of something in the slit of the nib and I was able to floss it out with a single strand of thread pulled from a scrap of Organza fabric.
This then gave me the idea of possibly getting a different nib for it some day.

Mine has the gunmetal finish, and I keep noticing trucks with a paint job that match the colour. Whatever the finish is, there is not a single scratch or sign of wear on it after more than a year of it being my EDC.

The Singularity was on my short list until I learned that some people had trouble with taking the cap off. It screws onto the section, and often the barrel would come off instead of the cap. The Nemosine cap screws directly onto the barrel, so it's not a problem.

Don't now much about nibs yet. I just kinda threw a dart at the board and went with the stock medium. I really wish they had the gun metal in stock. I emailed them today and they said they should have them in a few weeks. Also said they have plans for blue but no time line for those.

I tell ya I was switching all day between the Fission, a pilot metro and Diplomat Magnum. The metro was a little more scratchy than the Fission and the magnum much more scratchy than the Metro. So much so it is going to be relegated to the truck. And it just had a cheap disposable feel to it.. I don't see any more of those in my future but I can see two or three fissions. I need a red pen for work And I just want the gun metal and blue if it's a dark shade.
I need to get a loupe. Once I get more knowledge about nibs I may look into changing it out .

About the Singularity, that may be why they are discontinued Thanks for the heads up about that little problem!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
@Clayw Medium nib is a good choice. I'd be willing to bet your Metro's nib is a good bit finer than the Nemosine. So now you've got your bases covered. As an aside, I really enjoy the nib on my Kaweco Student, which is the same nib used on the Kaweco Sport. Kawecos aren't to eveyone's taste, though.

@Clayw Medium nib is a good choice. I'd be willing to bet your Metro's nib is a good bit finer than the Nemosine. So now you've got your bases covered. As an aside, I really enjoy the nib on my Kaweco Student, which is the same nib used on the Kaweco Sport. Kawecos aren't to eveyone's taste, though.

Fine is better if you write a lot in confined spaces, eg., a journal.

I tell ya I was switching all day between the Fission, a pilot metro and Diplomat Magnum. The metro was a little more scratchy than the Fission and the magnum much more scratchy than the Metro. So much so it is going to be relegated to the truck. And it just had a cheap disposable feel to it.. I don't see any more of those in my future but I can see two or three fissions. I need a red pen for work And I just want the gun metal and blue if it's a dark shade.
I need to get a loupe. Once I get more knowledge about nibs I may look into changing it out .

About the Singularity, that may be why they are discontinued Thanks for the heads up about that little problem!

From some reports I have read on the Singularity, it's not exactly being discontinued, they stopped production on it, are selling off all stock that is left for a discount, and then going to redesign it and re-release it. I am betting mainly to correct that part of the cap screwing onto the grip section instead of the pen body, since that is the only real complaint I've seen about them. It hasn't affected/bothered me, so I have like 3 of them since they were dang cheap on closeout, and write really nicely. Plus, not many pens out there had a .6mm stub nib option.

I have a couple Magnums in I think Medium and broad nibs, and at that size nib mine write super smooth, no scratch at all. I agree they feel a bit cheap and disposable in the hand. If it wasn't such a smooth writer for me, and they hadn't released a purple one, I'd not have bought the second one. lol

From some reports I have read on the Singularity, it's not exactly being discontinued, they stopped production on it, are selling off all stock that is left for a discount, and then going to redesign it and re-release it. I am betting mainly to correct that part of the cap screwing onto the grip section instead of the pen body, since that is the only real complaint I've seen about them. It hasn't affected/bothered me, so I have like 3 of them since they were dang cheap on closeout, and write really nicely. Plus, not many pens out there had a .6mm stub nib option.

I have a couple Magnums in I think Medium and broad nibs, and at that size nib mine write super smooth, no scratch at all. I agree they feel a bit cheap and disposable in the hand. If it wasn't such a smooth writer for me, and they hadn't released a purple one, I'd not have bought the second one. lol
I'll have to check. I think the magnum was using yesterday was a fine nib. I have a medium I haven't inked yet. May be ill try it today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll have to check. I think the magnum was using yesterday was a fine nib. I have a medium I haven't inked yet. May be ill try it today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I've found a lot of fine nibs to feel a bit scratchy, especially compared to medium or broads. Vintage pens with a fine nib seem to be the usual exception to that, none of the vintage fine's I've used had any scratch to them.

I need to get a loupe.
May I recommend something like a geologist's folding loupe, typically 10X, 15X or 20X:
proxy.php

Some come with lanyard rings.
I've carried a 10X one in my pocket every day since college in 1985. I blew up a tiny diode in an electronics lab project because I could not read the markings and installed it with the wrong polarity.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I always get lighted loupes since I am using them in poorly lit areas more often than in the field.

I recommend getting your pen ground and tuned by Pendleton Brown...he will turn a nice writing experience into a sublime one! Mike Masuyama is also at the top of the game.

I also recommend getting some Claire Fontaine, Rhodia, and Tomoe River paper! You will thank me later!

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom