What's new

New Pipe - What is Next?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
What did you think of P&C's Best of the Rest? Since it's their leftovers, each bowl can taste slightly different. The batch that I gave you had a slight cherry flavoring permeating throughout the whole thing, and I'm just not into cherry flavored tobaccos.

I did not get the cherry notes, but my palate is still learning, I like it is was very smooth, I did notice some sweetness but could not decipher the cherry. Right know though I seem to like everything, which could be a very bad and expensive thing, LOL

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Hhhmmm... There's a good possibility that the cherry notes have died down a bit. I could still smell cherry when I transferred your batch from jar to bag, but maybe I'll have to crack another jar of it and let it air out some before trying another bowl.

It's a crap shoot when getting a bag of Best of the Rest, but at $17 per pound, I've taken the gamble twice. The first batch that I got I loved. With both batches I found quite a bit of chunks of a cake or plug or some semi-intact flakes. The first batch had a chunk of cake that's the best tobacco that I've tried so far.

Hhhmmm... There's a good possibility that the cherry notes have died down a bit. I could still smell cherry when I transferred your batch from jar to bag, but maybe I'll have to crack another jar of it and let it air out some before trying another bowl.

It's a crap shoot when getting a bag of Best of the Rest, but at $17 per pound, I've taken the gamble twice. The first batch that I got I loved. With both batches I found quite a bit of chunks of a cake or plug or some semi-intact flakes. The first batch had a chunk of cake that's the best tobacco that I've tried so far.

I have purposely been going through the stuff that you and Price sent before heading out to the shop to look for more, to at least give me a baseline. I did purchase some butter rum bulk here locally, and it is pretty good, but overall the Lane 1-Q is still my favorite. Although I have my eye on a few pipes that are in the future. Being a Carbon fiber nut the Dagnar P5, and the P6 Damascus are calling out, LOL

Being a Carbon fiber nut the Dagnar P5, and the P6 Damascus are calling out, LOL

I have three Dagnar pipes (none are the P5 or P6, though) and I have found them to be a solid choice for a brand, with some great looks. I'd say don't hesitate too long to grab one if they are really catching your eye.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have purposely been going through the stuff that you and Price sent before heading out to the shop to look for more, to at least give me a baseline. I did purchase some butter rum bulk here locally, and it is pretty good, but overall the Lane 1-Q is still my favorite. Although I have my eye on a few pipes that are in the future. Being a Carbon fiber nut the Dagnar P5, and the P6 Damascus are calling out, LOL

That's probably good that you're holding off for a short while before stocking up. I also loved 1Q when starting out. Now, I usually only smoke it about once a month, and I'm still sitting on 1 & 2/3rds of a pound of it. :blush: This would be fine if it were a Virginia-forward blend, but aros don't really benefit from being cellared. Lately, I've been debating about how I would have set my cellar up if I were to do it all over again from scratch. Probably the biggest thing that I would have done different is to not have so many aros cellared. With that being said, it's also not bad having a hefty stash of your favorite tobacco to fall back on incase excrement hits the fan. :tongue_sm

I'm not sure how they smoke, but those Dagner pipes look cool. I'm pretty sure that I've seen one or two of our members having one.
Edit: Well, there you go! It looks like Dustin has one! :lol:

I have three Dagnar pipes (none are the P5 or P6, though) and I have found them to be a solid choice for a brand, with some great looks. I'd say don't hesitate too long to grab one if they are really catching your eye.

That's probably good that you're holding off for a short while before stocking up. I also loved 1Q when starting out. Now, I usually only smoke it about once a month, and I'm still sitting on 1 & 2/3rds of a pound of it. :blush: This would be fine if it were a Virginia-forward blend, but aros don't really benefit from being cellared. Lately, I've been debating about how I would have set my cellar up if I were to do it all over again from scratch. Probably the biggest thing that I would have done different is to not have so many aros cellared. With that being said, it's also not bad having a hefty stash of your favorite tobacco to fall back on incase excrement hits the fan. :tongue_sm

I'm not sure how they smoke, but those Dagner pipes look cool. I'm pretty sure that I've seen one or two of our members having one.
Edit: Well, there you go! It looks like Dustin has one! :lol:

Thanks Guys, it is so nice being among fellow enablers, ROFL

Thanks Guys, it is so nice being among fellow enablers, ROFL

Let me pile on, then...

I've got a couple Dagners, and I really like them. Well made for the price.

[enable] However, his modus operandi seems to be producing a particular model for a limited time, then moving on to a new one - and not going back. So if you like something he's currently producing...well, you know. [/enable]

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Let me pile on, then...

[enable] However, his modus operandi seems to be producing a particular model for a limited time, then moving on to a new one - and not going back. So if you like something he's currently producing...well, you know. [/enable]

:lol: :laugh: :lol:

I would love to see an enable wrap tag!

I bought a new one today...i will post pics of it when i received it. It's a Poker from Italy...

Sent with my BlackBerry Passport

Let me pile on, then...

This is exactly why I also said if one is striking your fancy, don't hold off on grabbing it, if it's at all possible to, since you may not see that model again available.

11.24.2016 Hqppy Thanks giving. A double smoke day.....

Morning was the La Rocca and some Crescent Butter Rum blend from the local B&M Nice to start the morning with and a good cup of Coffee to watch the sunrise in 39 Degree weather, was not ready for that, LOL

Evening was the MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired in the Peretti by itself, as I had blended some of the Virginia Flake with it before, but this time all alone. What a wonderful deep, full flavored tobacco strong and bold. I guess I packed it right it smoked reasonably cool, lasted a good 2 hrs and only had 2 re-lights. Draw stayed consistent. Really enjoyed it and it paired perfectly with the bottle of Guinness and settled the meal of the day.

Plus as a bonus while watching TV, My lovely wife inquired what I was doing in the morning, then indicated she wanted to do some house organizing crank up Pink Floyd and hinted.... in her words " Why don't you go out and go to some antique stores and look for another straight razor ( OK she was being sarcastic on that one ), and a new pipe you just cant live without" I did not let her retract that one, LOL Now I know why I love this woman and why we have been together 25 yrs. HAHA

A good day of smoking.

Top Bottom