What's new

New Pen

I currently have a Waterman Hemisphere rollerball, but I've found a Parker 51 for a decent price and was wondering what the writing differences would be between these two (besides the fact one is a rollerball and the other is fountain).

You will find yourself gravitating to the parker and not using the rollerball... just remember the manta.. no pressure with a FP

Thanks....I wouldn't have guessed.
Also, from what prices I've found, I'm just guessing I found a good deal ($50)?

Uhhh no! That's a horrible price. Send me the link so that I can scold that unscrupulous dealer! :lol:

Good price especially if it is in good condition. I love my 51!

If it's in working order, that is a good to great price depending on the pen. There is a pretty big range in the lineup of the P51's.

I currently have a Waterman Hemisphere rollerball, but I've found a Parker 51 for a decent price and was wondering what the writing differences would be between these two (besides the fact one is a rollerball and the other is fountain).

+1 on the "working order." If its in good working order, $50 sounds like a great price, unless there are serious cosmetic problems.

How it writes will depend on the nib. Generally speaking, rollerballs use little pressure, while fountain pens use pretty much none. I'm not a pen snob, so I can admit that rollerballs are good pens. They use real ink, are clean, and generally write well. However, you will get feedback with the FP that you won't get with the rollerball.

You may get a little line variation with a FP. With a standard nib, there won't be a whole lot. Expect to notice it looking a little more personal, or not notice anything at all. There are specialty nibs that give more, or specific, line variation, but I'll guess that your prospective pen doesn't have one. Any line variation with rollerballs tends to be pressure-related.

Additionally, remember you'll have, literally, hundreds of inks to chose from, which you can change almost at will. Rollerballs have ink choices, but not anywhere near the selection you get with a FP. This means that you can personalize your writing a little more, or go with a standard blue/black if you want.

Also, you can expect a few people to notice you're using a FP. These will almost always be positive. If people recognize a FP, they probably have positive associations with them. Once I had someone ask why I used a FP, because they leaked. I explained to him that not all FPs leak, in fact, very few leak these days. He was surprised, and got that, "Wow. If only I'd known" look on his face. People don't usually notice rollerballs. They're too similar to ballpoints in appearance.

Finally, you'll not want to lend your pen to people. I usually carry a ballpoint just to lend people. A couple times, people asked, "Can I use your pen for a second?" I found that most people don't realize how heavy they write, and what damage they can do to a FP. Rather than explain and argue, I just carry a ballpoint. Or just lie and tell them you don't have a pen, or its out of ink. :devil: Rollerballs are sturdy things. You can lend them freely without worrying about damage.

Truth is, I like rollerballs. I think of them as the best possible version of a ballpoint. The reason I don't use them is that I tend to overgrip with non-FPs, I like to change inks, and I like the human touch that FPs express.

Wow. I wrote a whole lot, didn't I? :blushing:

Wow. I wrote a whole lot, didn't I? :blushing:

Yes you did, but it was very helpful. Thanks!
The over all condition seems very good. There is one small ding on the cap, but that's it.
I went ahead and pick it up last night ($58 w\tax)
Now all I need is ink. I'm thinking of Noodler's.

Welcome to the darkside. you will like noodlers ink try the bullet proof the bad belted kingfisher is a nice slate blue. Just be aware that when you buy a bottle of noodlers it is a full bottle of ink, as in very little head room.

Noodlers is the brand of ink. But they also make non-bullet proof ink.
The bullettproof ink will say on the bottle "bulletproof"

Thanks...
I ordered Heart of Darkness. When I checked out it said I was receiving a pen as well. Guess I'll have something to practice with so I don't destroy the Parker.

Congrats. The HOD is a good black ink. Be prepared for ink stained fingers, it's a tell tale sign of a FP user. I'd be a bit weary of carrying the freebie platinum preppy eyedropper pen around with you. I would keep it safe at the desk, otherwise if it leaks you will have a big mess in your hands/in your bag.

Congrats on the 51! $50 is a fair price and could be a great price if it is in good working condition.

There are a few differences between a FP and a roller.

For one, you will have to keep the nib oriented to the paper when you write. A ballpoint or roller doesn't care, but a FP does. Not to worry, you'll correct your hand for a week or two and then it will become automatic. Just give it some time to adjust.

Next is that the inks vary widely. Ballpoints have sort of a thick, sticky ink and rollers are a bit lighter, but neither is like FP ink. FP ink is usually thinner than what you're used to and the pen really glides when you write. As was mentioned, no pressure is necessary. It's wonderful once you get the hang of it. Also keep in mind that different inks have different consistencies and different drying times. It can seem a little overwhelming at first, but you will come to appreciate the variety. I use the regular, ordinary Blue from Noodler's. I love the color and the drying time suits me.

Finally, expect the FP to break in to your hand over the first few months of use. The iridium on the nib gets slightly worn and reshaped as you write. In time, it will become perfectly suited to your hand and style. It usually takes me 2-3 months of daily use, and then the pen is like a pair of perfectly broken in shoes. Don't worry about wearing out the nib, either. Most of them hold up for decades and you can have them replated if necessary.

Finally, expect the FP to break in to your hand over the first few months of use. The iridium on the nib gets slightly worn and reshaped as you write. In time, it will become perfectly suited to your hand and style. It usually takes me 2-3 months of daily use, and then the pen is like a pair of perfectly broken in shoes. Don't worry about wearing out the nib, either. Most of them hold up for decades and you can have them replated if necessary.

I would tend to agree with this if it was a new pen. The iridium point is extremely hard and can be worn down by time. Parker "51"s are 50, 60, 70 years old. I have about 50 "51"'s and almost all of them have the original nib. The iridium wear has long ago broken in the pen...what you will probably find is your hand adjusts to the "sweet spot".

I just got a Parker 51 for $50 in fine working order. Other than 40 years of daily wear, the pen looks and performs fine with no problems. A friend asked to borrow the pen and thought it wasn't writing. I told her she needed to change the angle and it will start writing wet. She "shook" the pen to let ink down and the nib hit hard against the wood table! My heart fell. And yet? No damage! Writes the same as it ever was. Completely amazing pen. Seriously, it was like hammer-against-nail hard on the table, bonked right on the nib. I thought all was lost, but it writes same as it ever was.

And that is why you should always carry a bic stick pen with you at all times. Never loan your FP except to another FP user, that's what the bic is for.:lol:

And that is why you should always carry a bic stick pen with you at all times. Never loan your FP except to another FP user, that's what the bic is for.:lol:

Seriously considering it. I do keep roller balls around all over the place, it was just one instance where I didn't have it (at the bar).

Top Bottom