What's new

New AP Shave Co Brush

I’ve been loving the first brush I ordered from AP Shave Co. A Tuxedo with Butterscotch handle. I still love my badger brushes but was so impressed with this synthetic that I decided to try another.

I set up a chat and asked about something with more backbone. I like different feels. He asked if I liked fan shaped brushes. I’d never tried one but decided, “why not?”.

26mm G5C Premium Synthetic Knot × 1
Zen Handle

Great brush! Stiffer than the Tuxedo but still has a nice soft touch. And the fan is a welcome addition!

Very happy with this new brush. Hats off to AP Shave Co!

IMG_2512.jpeg
IMG_2514.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been loving the first brush I ordered from AP Shave Co. A Tuxedo with Butterscotch handle. I still love my badger brushes but was so impressed with this synthetic that I decided to try another.

I set up a chat and asked about something with more backbone. I like different feels. He asked if I liked fan shaped brushes. I’d never tried one but decided, “why not?”.

Zen Handle

Great brush! Stiffer than the Tuxedo but still has a nice soft touch. And the fan is a welcome addition!

View attachment 1668848View attachment 1668849

Ugh. I've been seriously fighting the urge to buy one of his Raspberry ebonite handles with a mixed badger/boar knot but my constitution is waning.

Do you have a pic of the butterscotch?

I bought a 26mm AP Shave Co. G5C more than a few months back. I've found that it splays better after about 7-10 uses. It picks up the lather like crazy too. I find it almost too big for me, overall it is an amazing knot.
I’ve always used a smaller knot. Usually 24mm. But the recommendation for what I was describing in terms of feel, using a synthetic, was this 26mm (Japanese bristles) in a fan shape, which was new to me, as well.

It’s a great brush. Took to it like a duck to water. *Quack🦆quack*. Have to use it with one of my larger bowls but that’s fine. Or face lathering. Fits nice and snug in my DB brush scuttle.

I’ve always used a smaller knot. Usually 24mm. But the recommendation for what I was describing in terms of feel, using a synthetic, was this 26mm (Japanese bristles) in a fan shape, which was new to me, as well.

It’s a great brush. Took to it like a duck to water. *Quack🦆quack*. Have to use it with one of my larger bowls but that’s fine. Or face lathering. Fits nice and snug in my DB brush scuttle.

I was coming from a small $5 Wilkinson sword synthetic and an unknown hair brush I picked up years ago. Neither were very large. The Wilkinson was like cooked spaghetti noodles and the unknown hair knot was pretty scritchy.

The G5C builds a lather super fast in the collapsible silicone slow feeder dog bowl that I have. If I splay it out, I can damn near cover my cheek and neck all in one go! Face lathering works, but I prefer bowl. Overall great knot.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I’m planning on using this as a travel dish:

Been using the AP Tuxedo with it. Size is right and lathers up really nicely.

I’m still very into my Badger brushes but these two synths are great and part of the rotation. AND: they don’t lose bristles!!
Might be a bit too abrasive for a brush. Will eventually wear the fiber/hair/bristles down.

The 24mm MiG that AP offers is a good knot -- it could have been my favorite -- but the bristles are just too short. If it could reach 52mm loft then it would be great, but it maxes out at around 49-50 and ends up stiffer than optimum (to me). I do like the 24mm's darker coloration in comparison to its larger brother.

The 26mm offers more leeway in loft and is an excellent all-around knot. That's an AP winner.

Zen Handle

View attachment 1668848View attachment 1668861
Like you I find the G5C knot amazing for a synthetic, and I am usually badger exclusive. The brush with the G5C knot, cheap handle purchased on Ali express. Knot from Anthony at AP Shaveco

Attachments

• 20230622_074825.jpg
    20230622_074825.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom