What's new

Needing Advice with a Technical Difficulty With my Tobacco Storage

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While I was sitting in my den earlier today surfing the world wide web, All of a sudden, I hear this loud popping sound. It had the type of sound like a tin lid popping from under pressure.

So I open the large cedar chest bench where I cellar my pipe tobacco stash and started dragging out all of the mason jars in various sizes and amounts, looking for the guilty party.

I finally found it. It was an 8 ounce jar of PS Luxury Twist Flake that has been ageing since February of this year. What makes a Ball jar lid, pop after almost 10 months?

And how do I prevent it from happening again?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Even factory sealed tins of tobaccos will puff when aging. Part of the process. Just make sure your rings in the mason jars are down tight, and if it burps from the pressure, it’s no biggie. If you want to prevent this in the future, maybe leave more headroom in the jars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Even factory sealed tins of tobaccos will puff when aging. Part of the process. Just make sure your rings in the mason jars are down tight, and if it burps from the pressure, it’s no biggie. If you want to prevent this in the future, maybe leave more headroom in the jars.

So I don't need to re-lid the jar? How much room should I leave in the jar? The jar has whole flakes in it, so there is a lot of space on the sides and a little space on top. Thanks for the advice @Hirsute.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
As the others have mentioned, it should be alright. If you're worried that the seal is broken, put it in a sealable container, like Tupperware or Glad, and check it out in a day or two. If it smells like tobacco when you open the plastic container, then the seal on the jar has been compromised. If not, then you're good.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Did the lid pop off somehow? Or do you mean the indicator thingee popped up. I have a jar of LNF that’s has a noticeable bulge in the cap.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
So I don't need to re-lid the jar? How much room should I leave in the jar? The jar has whole flakes in it, so there is a lot of space on the sides and a little space on top. Thanks for the advice @Hirsute.

If only worry about it if you think tobacco may have gotten between the lid and the glass, preventing a good seal. If you suspect this, change lids. If you don’t, just tighten that ring down.

OkieStubble

As the others have mentioned, it should be alright. If you're worried that the seal is broken, put it in a sealable container, like Tupperware or Glad, and check it out in a day or two. If it smells like tobacco when you open the plastic container, then the seal on the jar has been compromised. If not, then you're good.

Great idea, thanks Erik!

Did the lid pop off somehow? Or do you mean the indicator thingee popped up. I have a jar of LNF that’s has a noticeable bulge in the cap.

Just the indicator thingee popped up.

If only worry about it if you think tobacco may have gotten between the lid and the glass, preventing a good seal. If you suspect this, change lids. If you don’t, just tighten that ring down.

I have no clue on what to suspect it is, I know the ring is on really tight and it had been doing fine for 10 months before the center thingee popped. I feel like I don't have enough experience to know exactly what I should do or not do, I was hoping someone here could tell me. :)

I can say, that when I initially jar any tobacco, I will stick the empty ball jar in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, so when i add the tobacco, the rim is hot which I feel helps the wax ring on the lid get a good seal. Then after the air cools inside the jar, i never have a problem with the button on the lid sucking down nice and tight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think you are totally fine. When the day warms up some of my caps pop up with a “tink”.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is normal- although it worried me the first time that I heard it happen. If the seal was good, and the ring was tight, it’ll be fine.

Are you sure the lid popped up, and not some other lid was suddenly pulled down? Some stuff in mason jars will actually self vacuum seal the jar eventually, and the sound the lid makes when the button gets pulled inwards is pretty much the same.

OkieStubble

Are you sure the lid popped up, and not some other lid was suddenly pulled down? Some stuff in mason jars will actually self vacuum seal the jar eventually, and the sound the lid makes when the button gets pulled inwards is pretty much the same.

I'm sure. I checked every Ball jar I have stashed. They were all still sucked down except for that one.

Top Bottom