What's new

Need suggestions on a good silvertip

Pretty much any silvertip has a chance of shedding beyond the first few uses, where some stray hairs can come out, due to the density of such brushes. They're usually handmade and with that come some bank breakage, and the chance of human error in construction.

Any good vendor will replace a brush that sheds constantly.

Looking for suggestions on a silvertip that won't shed or break the bank. :001_smile

I am personally partial and biased towards the Shavemac or Thater. For the price, you also get a tremendous value. The workmanship of these two brushes are exceptional...they can cost ~$120 or so (give or take)...very reasonable for a Silvertip.

Cheers,
Robert

I suggest a Rooney. I always suggest a Rooney.
Don't be surprised if any brush sheds a little while it's being broken in.
Size and handle shape are your call.

Custom Shavemac D01 (50mm loft or less.) ($120 or so)
Rooney Super Silvertip ($80 or less)
Custom Shavemac Finest (a type of silvertip... silver-er tips than my D01. 50mm loft or less.) ($80 or less)
New Forest 2201 ($45 or less depending on $/GBP exchange rate)

Since you have $150, I'd get a Custom Shavemac Finest or Rooney Super Silvertip (both are firm brushes) and get a New Forest 2201, which will have a bit less backbone but has incredibly soft tips. Variety.

You can get a T&H re-branded Rooney 1/1 for 20% off with the B&B code, which I can't remember.

-Andy

Last edited:
I forgot about Savile Row. Those are a good deal, and a 50mm loft would be great, too. They're either made by Shavemac or H.L. Thater.

-Andy

I shave with a shavemac #177 in silvertip (23mm). I also just bought the 2009 Kent LE and man it DOES NOT COMPARE! Kent is more scratchy!

GO WITH SHAVEMAC AND YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED!

westcoastshaving.com sells them for cheap! CHEAPER THAN ON THE SHAVEMAC WEBSITE!

Shavemac #177 (23mm) in silvertip will cost $98. Steal of a deal for a brush like that!

Cheers!:lol:

I will say this. I'm a die hard Shavemac fan. For some reason, Shavemac brushes always feel bigger than the knot diameter would have you believe. What I mean is that a 23mm Shavemac, to me, feels like a huge brush. Just something to note. If the OP is looking for a small/medium brush, a 20mm to 22mm Shavemac would be great. It would save a few $ too. The options about with his budget. I'd still go with Finest and get 2 different brushes. Rooney and a Shavemac, perhaps. If I could have only two brushes, those are the two.

-Andy

Last edited:
I forgot about Savile Row. Those are a good deal, and a 50mm loft would be great, too. They're either made by Shavemac or H.L. Thater.

-Andy

And Shavemac/Thater tend to scratch each others' backs, per rumor - all three brands represent, at the very least, high quality - perhaps due to a lot of common parts and labor.

Anybody notice the font on Thaters and Savile Rows? Hmm...

And Shavemac/Thater tend to scratch each others' backs, per rumor - all three brands represent, at the very least, high quality - perhaps due to a lot of common parts and labor.

Anybody notice the font on Thaters and Savile Rows? Hmm...

Yup. Shavemac and Thater are practically just down the road from each other, too.

-Andy

I have been contemplating ordering a new brush for a month or so now. After seeing a few of these threads I think I'm going to order a Shavemac 177 and once the SWMBO allows me to order a new brush I'll pick up a re-branded T&H Rooney 1/2. Hopefully the thread was just as helpful for the OP.

I assume because you said Silvertip you mean something very soft and luxurious?

In that case, a Savile Row 3120 or a Custom short-loft Shavemac in Silvertip.

If you'd like something with a bit more backbone, go for a Simpsons brush. Pretty much any one, they've all had good backbone in my experience. My personal favorites are the Duke 2, Tulip 2, or Chubby 2

Top Bottom