What's new

Need Advice on ‘Old Dark Fired’ tobacco

One thing I've done with great success when I don't want to shred the flake is take the flake and fold it in half (so it's half as wide) then fold it again (so it's half as long) then pinch one end with your fingers and give a twist with the other end. This keeps it in a single piece but it opens it up for breathability. Doing so will also be perfect thickness to fit in a pipe bowl without much sticking out and it fills the bowl but gives plenty of air to circulate. Take the crumbs and put them on top so you get an easier light and the false start will char the tips given you a good even cap to tamp down. Then relight good so the entire surface is a good golden glow and sip away.

Welcome to pipe smoking, this is a great group of folks, any and all questions are encouraged. It helps us remember the days when we were needing to know the same things.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had no problem getting Old Dark Fired to burn. My issue was too much taste. Far too much. It got ditched in my reject blend jar.

I love Marmite on toast, but that doesn't mean I could eat Marmite directly from the jar with a spoon. Likewise, Old Dark Fired was "all Marmite and no toast" for me. As an ingredient in a blend, it would be great, but not something I could smoke on its own.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had no problem getting Old Dark Fired to burn. My issue was too much taste. Far too much. It got ditched in my reject blend jar.

I love Marmite on toast, but that doesn't mean I could eat Marmite directly from the jar with a spoon. Likewise, Old Dark Fired was "all Marmite and no toast" for me. As an ingredient in a blend, it would be great, but not something I could smoke on its own.

I wonder how a half flake of ODF and a half flake of LNF would taste. Might have to try.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Fold and stuff never works well for me. Rubbing out, or at least partially rubbing out flakes gives me better results. After drying (duration varies according to how wet it starts out) and packing the first 2/3 to 3/4 of the bowl, I tend to rub what's left out a little further. This gives me a kind of broken flake load, with the top section as a fully rubbed out "kindling" of the same blend to help the bowl get started.
Pack it loose. Flake will expand a lot when lit. If you start snug it could become too tight once lit. No matter what I am smoking I pack loose, because that is easier to correct with a tamper.

Yeah, that stuff is pretty potent. Not an allday for me, and only in smaller quantities. If I draw to hard, the chocolaty taste changes into more liquorice like, what I don't like (and I tend to get a bit nauseous).
ODF and the Navy Flake can definitely give you the nicotine spins. I think my tolerance is high enough now I can smoke it in a large bowl but it's one that one bowl of one flake will be just fine.

I need to get smoking it more often. I've got close to two pounds in tins after last year's NFL pickem and survival league wins. Nearly all of them with some age.

It doesn't stay lit. I burn more matches than tobacco. You have to treat it differently.
I got the impression my contrary opinion on Mac Baren HH tobaccos wasn't particularly welcome on the forum so I won't post in here again but just in case this helps at all, this is what I do to my HH Bold Kentucky and it smokes perfectly, straight out of the tin.

Bold Kentucky.jpg

I got the impression my contrary opinion on Mac Baren HH tobaccos wasn't particularly welcome on the forum so I won't post in here again but just in case this helps at all, this is what I do to my HH Bold Kentucky and it smokes perfectly, straight out of the tin.

View attachment 1169595

Exactly what comment are you talking about? I don't recall anything out of line.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

View attachment 1169595
I love MacBaren HH line, but have no problem with other opinion.

Top Bottom