What's new

Nani 10k and 1k

Heya folks!
Time to add to my stone progression for edge upkeep and creation.

Ive really like my nani 12k and wanted to get a 1k and 10k to fill out the blanks in my honing line.

Have people liked the super stones series? Have you used the nanis and found another option that worked in that phase that you enjiyed better?

Happy honing everyone!

I have the Naniwa 1k, 3k, 8k and 12k, and get great results out of them. I also would say the 10k is not needed as the jump from the 8k to the 12k works just fine.

Shapton's 1.5k is my go to for bevel setting; I do not like the Pro 1k, too soft and a little gravely feeling. The Pro 2k is sort of an odd duck that is in the middle of things, and a little too soft. I might assign it to bevel touchups, but not bevel creation.
I am not a big fan of the Nani Super Stone 1k, for me it's too soft and too slow. The Chosera/Pro 1k from Naniwa are better in that regard, but there have been issues with those stones crazing and cracking.
The Nani 10k SS is a great stone. But, if you have an 8k Nani SS and a 12k Nani SS, then there is a question of whether getting the 10k satisfies a need or a want. I can jump from 8k to 12k, and I have jumped from 8k to 12k; I have also used 8k, 10k, 12k as a progression; whether or not that added step actually does or does not improve anything would be hard to claim in an obective sense. But the 10k is a nice stone.

I prefer the Bester 1200 for bevel setting so far (and for woodworking tools). Pretty hard, nice feedback, and stays flat a long time. Does best with permasoaking though.

The nani 1k works but Its slow( relatively speaking) soft, and tends to plug easily from swarf. All the other stones in the SS line are winners in my opinion.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Agree, you don’t need both the 10 and 12k. I do like the Shapton Pro 2k as long as the bevel is in reasonably decent shape.

Top Bottom