What's new

My technique for rinsing my brush after shaving

I lived in California for years back than water was important but not as critical as now. now living in Oregon with my own well I have The Power over it. soap build up is very slow and cant keep up with my brush acquisitions. should be good for a couple lifetimes

Ha ha ha. That's one way to address the issue, just have so many brushes that you really don't need to worry with it. :thumbup1:

Cheers,

Matt

Lost me at washing your face with the stubble water... But thank you for giving this some much thought and for sharing.

Had read somewhere that the final rinse should be cold water for natural bristles. Any rationale for that (as opposed to warm water)?

Had read somewhere that the final rinse should be cold water for natural bristles. Any rationale for that (as opposed to warm water)?
I don't think it really matters. As long as its not so hot that it would burn you, it shouldn't be hot enough to hurt the brush.

We make lather with hot water, why would it matter what temperature we use to rinse it?

I don't think it really matters. As long as its not so hot that it would burn you, it shouldn't be hot enough to hurt the brush.

We make lather with hot water, why would it matter what temperature we use to rinse it?

I certainly agree with dpm802. I cannot think of a reason why the rinse water temperature would make any difference at all, assuming we're not talking about scalding hot. I use cold water simply because that is what I am rinsing my face with at the same time I am rinsing the brush. Actually, as the water comes out of the tap to fill the sink, I rinse my face with it, then the brush with the water in the sink. By the time of the last rinse, there really is nothing on my face, and very little, if anything, on the brush.

Matt

Found one reference on caring for a natural brush:

Caring for your Shaving Brush

Shaving brushes when new can have a slight animal smell, if they do they can easily be cleaned using a shampoo, its best to use one designed for pets, but if one isn't immediately available simply use a standard shampoo that you would use on your own hair. Shampooing can be used when necessary through out your brushes life.
Professional barbers generally sterilize their shaving brushes by regular immersion into a 10% formalin solution for 20 minutes.

After each use thoroughly rinse out any shaving cream with warm water and flick the excess water from the brush, some people give their brushes a final rinse under cold water being natural hair and like the hair on your head this will close the hairs follicles. Brushes tend to dry better when left hanging upside down, this helps them keep their shape, if you don't have a stand for your brush leaving it standing upright will suffice. Never leave a brush to dry on its side as this will misshape it.

Badgers in the wild eschew boiling hot water. Actually...the way the bristles smell, one wonders whether the creatures ever bathe...

Badgers in the wild eschew boiling hot water. Actually...the way the bristles smell, one wonders whether the creatures ever bathe...

Raw badger is not something you want to sniff undiluted I expect. Although truth be known, your average badger would fancy an occasional fluffy creme rinse as well as the next animal I guess....

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

I certainly agree with dpm802. I cannot think of a reason why the rinse water temperature would make any difference at all, assuming we're not talking about scalding hot. I use cold water simply because that is what I am rinsing my face with at the same time I am rinsing the brush. Actually, as the water comes out of the tap to fill the sink, I rinse my face with it, then the brush with the water in the sink. By the time of the last rinse, there really is nothing on my face, and very little, if anything, on the brush.

Matt

An old gentleman's trick in getting a fresh stain out of a dress shirt was to run it in cold water. Myself and others I know have used this method and it works well. The logic behind it is that most things expand when heated, and contract when cooled. Hot water expands the fibers which makes it easier for a pigment to penetrate. By using cold water, the cloth fibers contract, making it harder for the stain to seep in. I imagine the same is true for a brush. Hot water would be good to dissolve the soap, but then follow up with a cold rinse. I've never tried comparing the two, but then again, I just have a cheap VDH boar brush, so I don't think hot or cold will matter much for me anyway.

Top Bottom