What's new

My Second Strop Restoration-Craftsman Horse Shell

timwcic

"Look what I found"
With the success of my first strop restoration, it was time for a second. I passed on a few strops until this one popped up on my radar. A Craftsman shell with a linen?? second in decent condition. It has two good logos with only minor damage. Some abuse scratches but no deep cuts or rips on the leather and only age grim on the linen. This is worthy of a restro. Started by breaking down and giving the second a soaking bath. A few drops of laundry soap and warm water in a tub so in can lay flat. In did have a curl memory that had to go. Over the course of a few hours, and scrubbing with a nylon brush every 15 minutes, decades of grim disappeared. After a good rinse, and to prevent any shrinking, I hung with a five pound weight over night to dry. Time to give the leather some love. Started by sanding with 220 grit wet/dry paper. Used a wet sponge to control water on the surface and high quality paper so I had no stray grit end up in the leather. The 220 leveled out all the scratches without cutting thru the shell. Also chamfered the edges at the same time. Did a progression up to 1000 grit. To keep the vintage feel, I re-dyed using pre-zip code, flea market black leather dye. Burnished the working surface over a large magnum glass bottle to loosen it up. Over the week, a few drinks of Neetsfoot oil to get the leather supple and the draw that I like, burnishing between applications of oil. Not to much work but worth the effort.. last picture hanging with the Millers, Tony and Neil

39C36603-EFBF-46B2-A945-948F5AB1D44E.jpeg
35EE005D-E87F-4D65-8DF0-D8768655C82B.jpeg
8EC3D647-C861-473E-B8CE-DD04A9132521.jpeg
FA887ED0-7762-4225-88D7-4E49956D080B.jpeg
9A82FEF1-CD36-48B1-AD9F-0F1ECEFF7A5E.jpeg
F42C3393-341F-4E36-B00F-0BAFFEC6909C.jpeg
B1BC9F53-4C6C-4B80-A4C9-A456D5ECFC13.jpeg

I have the same strop. Mine looks like a 5 yr old did it compared to yours. Maybe we could trade so I don't feel so jealous....

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thank everyone for the nice comments. Have not used much, want to make sure all that I added it fully distributed and dried

N
With the success of my first strop restoration, it was time for a second. I passed on a few strops until this one popped up on my radar. A Craftsman shell with a linen?? second in decent condition. It has two good logos with only minor damage. Some abuse scratches but no deep cuts or rips on the leather and only age grim on the linen. This is worthy of a restro. Started by breaking down and giving the second a soaking bath. A few drops of laundry soap and warm water in a tub so in can lay flat. In did have a curl memory that had to go. Over the course of a few hours, and scrubbing with a nylon brush every 15 minutes, decades of grim disappeared. After a good rinse, and to prevent any shrinking, I hung with a five pound weight over night to dry. Time to give the leather some love. Started by sanding with 220 grit wet/dry paper. Used a wet sponge to control water on the surface and high quality paper so I had no stray grit end up in the leather. The 220 leveled out all the scratches without cutting thru the shell. Also chamfered the edges at the same time. Did a progression up to 1000 grit. To keep the vintage feel, I re-dyed using pre-zip code, flea market black leather dye. Burnished the working surface over a large magnum glass bottle to loosen it up. Over the week, a few drinks of Neetsfoot oil to get the leather supple and the draw that I like, burnishing between applications of oil. Not to much work but worth the effort.. last picture hanging with the Millers, Tony and Neil

View attachment 986954 View attachment 986956 View attachment 986958 View attachment 986959 View attachment 986960 View attachment 986961 View attachment 986962
Nice job on the strop. Looks like a professional effort. A couple of questions for you: did you wash the leather with saddle soap in your process? E.g. before or after you sanded? What restore work did you do on the hardware?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
N

Nice job on the strop. Looks like a professional effort. A couple of questions for you: did you wash the leather with saddle soap in your process? E.g. before or after you sanded? What restore work did you do on the hardware?

Thanks for asking. I cleaned the leather with only a wet sponge. It was not that soiled that sanding would not remove. I left the hardware untouched. It was I surprising good condition. Only needed some polish

A few months ago, I ran across a NOS Craftsman shell horse hide strop with butt horse hide on the other side. I think mine is probably a little newer but it has nothing on yours. Very nice restore!

Top Bottom