What's new

my latest find in the wild with a few questions. im a nib noob

im excited to be posting in the nib for the very first time. this is the parker 51 (color is turquoise) pen/pencil set with the cool box i picked up this weekend for $5 bucks. the bladder seems to be fine. the only prob with the pen is the... idk what u call it....the part on the cap that latches onto ur pocket so it doesnt fall out. that thing spins freely because the piece that holds it down doesnt stay tight. sorry for the pics, i took them real quick before i left for work with my phone. i recently found out that my mother in law also has a parker 51 with the gold fil that belonged to her mother and she would like to start using it.
here are my questions:
1. on my pen u can see what looks like ink build up around the nib, what would be a good way to clean that?
2. does all that ink build up mean that something is wrong?
3. for my mother in law and i, what would be a good ink to buy? i dont really want to buy anything too expensive but i also dont want anything real cheap and crappy

when i get home in a few days i will take some better pictures and ask my mother in law if i can also take some of hers.

Attachments

• $IMAG0092.jpg
    $IMAG0092.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 139
  • $IMAG0093.jpg
    $IMAG0093.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 142
  • $IMAG0095.jpg
    $IMAG0095.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 143
  • $IMAG0098.jpg
    $IMAG0098.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Some pics please of the jewel, and the barrel off.

The build up... a long soak in water with just a touch of ammonia. a toothbrush after the soak and repeated flushing of the pen should loosen all that up.

As for the spinning clip. The jewel will have to be removed and there is a screw under the jewel that will need to be tightened. Be careful removing the jewel as you can snap off the peg.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
+The jewel can be removed by unscrewing. To get the necessary traction press the cap against a piece of rubber sheet or even a pink pencil eraser. Good luck, they do tend to break off like Brian warns us.

Welcome to the Nib and that's a mighty fine first score!

Last edited:
Some pics please of the jewel, and the barrel off.

The build up... a long soak in water with just a touch of ammonia. a toothbrush after the soak and repeated flushing of the pen should loosen all that up.

As for the spinning clip. The jewel will have to be removed and there is a screw under the jewel that will need to be tightened. Be careful removing the jewel as you can snap off the peg.

as soon as i can i will send some pics of the jewel and with the barrel off.

+The jewel can be removed by unscrewing. To get the necessary traction press the cap against a piece of rubber sheet or even a pink pencil eraser. Good luck, they do tend to break off like Brian warns us.

well lets hope i dont break it then lol. can they be replaced if i do??

$5? How do I never get this lucky?
if u spend most of ur time looking for razors like i do u get lucky and find other cool stuff along the way

I was thinking the same thing. Cheapest 51 I have found in the wild was $75. Maybe that is why I still haven't tried one.
im like u, if i hadnt found this one then i prob wouldnt have ever tried one. i hope this doesnt start another collecting binge lol. i am already buying up every razor and mug i can find :lol:

this makes me sick......lol.....

as an antique hound...i do find my share of the bargains...but not with pens....YET....

good job and if you don;t like it...i will double your money....and maybe triple...lol

im finally getting around to cleaning it. is there anything special i need to for the flushing or do i use the ammonia water im using to clean it?

edit: ok well i dont have any ammonia in the house so i guess im just going to use soapy water. is that still ok?

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
3. for my mother in law and i, what would be a good ink to buy? i dont really want to buy anything too expensive but i also dont want anything real cheap and crappy

Welcome to the Nib!

There are lots of great inks out there. One way to try several is with samples from Goulet Pen Co. ... either order up individual samples of what interests you, packs of themed samples, or join the "ink drop".

If you want a full bottle of ink, Noodler's Black is a good place to start ... a very well thought of black, that is totally waterproof as well. A great ink. Noodler's Blue is also great, but not waterproof. Those are two great inks to start with.

well damn it now i have to make a trip to the store just to clean my pen.

edit: what does soap do to the pen??? u hade it seem horrible

Additives in soaps can ruin a FP feed, especially a vintage pen. Also the soap residue is hard to get out and eventually clog a feed. 10% ammonia with cold water will do it or a
ultrasonic cleaner

well i finally took some better pics. let me know of there was another specific picture u wanted. thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• $IMG_1453.jpg
    $IMG_1453.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 36
  • $IMG_1454.jpg
    $IMG_1454.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 65
  • $IMG_1455.jpg
    $IMG_1455.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 37
Additives in soaps can ruin a FP feed, especially a vintage pen. Also the soap residue is hard to get out and eventually clog a feed. 10% ammonia with cold water will do it or a
ultrasonic cleaner

man that ammonia salution works great. my mother in law is coming over tonight so i will take some pics of hers and clean hers out as well.

That is a nice "51" special set. The jewels are correct for a special and that sac sure cleaned up well. Congrats !!!! Glad that ammonia worked for you

Top Bottom