What's new

My journey with Double edge razors.

This all started out for me as a way to get away from the expense of shaving. If you look at the numbers over the years of shaving, the money mounts up fairly large. I had shaved with nearly everything from cartridge razors, to electric shavers, and even my extremely sharp Behring made, high carbon hunting knife, which it really isn't designed for.

The journey led me first , to straight razors. I have recently red where straight razor shavers are quick to tell you that straight razors are sharper than Double edge razors. This is not true. It is nowhere near truth. Unless you're using a replaceable blade straight razor like the feather system which would/should be close to as sharp as some of the sharpest double edge blades out there. But the straight razor, non replaceable , the kind you have to strop and hone are NOT close in sharpness to a Double edge feather blade. Or a Voskhod. So there's that. Still in all a fine straight razor is a work or art and will shave and there is prestige of ownership. I am fond of them. But I do not own one.

I researched for some time before I purchased my first high end Double edge razor. Unlike many here, I wanted ONE fine razor for a lifetime of shaving. This in and of itself would maximize the goal of saving money in the long run. One razor that shaves as smooth and effeciently as anything out there regardless of the price tag. Admittedly, since this journey began , I have seen several razors on this site that I would not mind owning, or giving a test drive. There are indeed some really nice ones.

After mulling through all of this, blackbird, carbon shaving, Karve, and considering many other top notch razors, I kept going back to Tatara for its sleekness. Some people don't care for the handle,,,,,,but personally, I could care less what the handle looks like as long as its smooth and efficient. Just so happens, I am one of the people fond of the overall look of the sleek Tatara Nodachi. Handle and all. After extensive dialog with the Portugal factory where this razor is machined, I was assured that it was everything I was looking for. Of course any other razor manufacturer might have assured the same. I was still skeptical.....but broke down and took a chance. I ordered mine with both the Nodachi and Masamune base plates, in the event that I wanted a more mild shave than Nodachi. ( the Masamune plate never gets used) but I have it in the event I want to shave daily.

I ordered mine in Black. The Nodachi black. Because I like seeing my edges easily. Not to mention the coating is added protection against corrosion over the long haul. When the razor arrived I was in awe of the tolerances and craftsmanship. The way it locks the blade in place where it is impossible for it to move or flex. That along with the fact that this razor has 0 tooling marks. None. It is precise down to its core. The way it threads together is a thing of beauty, of which I doubt there is any razor out there better. Different looks, yes. But , here again, I have my doubts that there is a razor out there that is machined as well and to exact tolerances with no tooling marks.

I also have my doubts that there is any razor that can out perform this razor with regard to very very high quality shaves. Once learned.

I've noticed around here since joining this site that just about everyone tries different blades. And I'm no different.
My razor came with 5 feather blades. And yes those blades are nice. But I have used Van Der Hagen, Dorco premiums, and Voskhods.
Every single blade that I have tried in this razor has given a perfect smooth baby skin shave. I see no difference between any of them. None.
I speak not of human error, because of course, I miss a spot here and there with any of them. I speak in terms of what this razor can do once you learn it.
That is why I do not understand all the switching from one brand of blade to another, I guess. I could be just as happy with 1000 Voskhods ( which I have) as I could be with 1000 Dorco premiums, Van Der Hagens, or feathers. There is just no difference. Every blade I have tried has given the same result. Absolutely beautiful shaves. Shaves that put cartridge shavers to shame. Put electric shavers to complete and utter shame. And yes, I highly doubt that I would ever get shaves like this from straight razors. Regarding blades, I will go so far as to say, Voskhod and Dorco premiums are both EXCELLENT for pennies on the dollar. I could easily buy a bunch of feathers but the extra cost VS Voskhod would 100% not be worth it.

If there is a razor out there that is higher quality, and shave for shave better, I want to see it. Possibly even own it.
You can spend more money.
But I doubt seriously that it exists.
So there it is. My experience thus far with DE shaving.

While I agree with you that some DE (and SE) blades can be extremely sharp, your categorical statement that straight razors can never be sharper than a DE blade is not accurate. Just as there are many levels of sharpness in DE blades, there are many levels of sharpness in SR blades. Since you do not own a collection of straight razors and have not developed a high level of skill of honing and stropping them, the only comparison you can make is between the straight razors you have used compared to DE razors. Those straight razors may well have been less sharp.

With a high quality steel, tempered and ground by a skilled bladesmith, honed by a skilled honemeister on very fine stones, and polished on sub-micron pasted strops, a straight razor can be as good or even better than the best DE razor blade. The primary difference is that straight razor blades do not have the various coatings often applied to DE blades.

I use both DE razors and straight razors. I hone my own straight razors. I readily admit that I do not always get the edge as sharp or as smooth as I like. But when I do achieve my ideal edge, it will be as good or better than any of the 25 brands of DE blades I own, including Feather, BIC, 7 O'Clock Black, Nacet, etc.

Congratulations!!

Your story is different than many around these parts (including my own, where we try tons of kit). You decided what you wanted, then you did your research and achieved your goal!! LOVELY!!

:a29: :a29: :a29:

Sounds like you have found your space!

Thanks for that. I have been wondering about Tatara, but I had not seen much information about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom