What's new

My first Japanese kamisori razor

I received my first traditional Japanese razor today - a NOS Hanasama that I purchased from another B&B member. I think some of you may know who it may be but I'm not sure if he wants me to say so I won't say anything but he's welcome to chime in!

All I can say is WOW! I've never used one but have reviewed many videos showing how to hold them and how to use them. I tried to keep the omote side against my face but being this was my first try I did try shaving with the ura. It seemed to shave ok. These razors are so sharp that I can get a HHT-4 or HHT-5 from it right out of the box. I didn't actually do an HHT but I did run it over my leg hairs and saw it slice though a few strands with lethal silence. For anyone considering trying one of these I would strongly suggest adding one to your collection.

They are indeed a bit different than normal western razors. The blade is smaller but sharper. There is a sharp tip which I had to be very careful of when moving the razor here and there. I took my time and luckily no accidents this time. :thumbup: I am amazed how well it shaved my chin area. I've always had trouble shaving my chin and under my nose and this definitely did the job. Of course I got the BBS shave one would expect from a great razor.

Last edited:
just got my first straight the other day, but I'm definitely gonna get me one of these in the not so distant future. Kind of want one I can display on my bathroom counter.

I recently got a Tosuke from the BS/T and I'm still working up the courage to unleash it. They are beautiful razors though.

nice kamisori. i wanted to buy this aswell but you were faster i guess. :D i've got a henkotsu the last days and its fantastic aswell. :D

nice kamisori. i wanted to buy this aswell but you were faster i guess. :D i've got a henkotsu the last days and its fantastic aswell. :D

Actually I did not buy this off the bst. I asked one of our members who was selling another kamisori (Tosuke) if he has something else that was shave ready and he offered me this one.

Now you get to learn how to hone all over again Terry... lol

Now you'll get to send me frustrated emails. hahaha

nice score tho, not sure if I could get one of those by SWMBO. Not yet anyway. :D

Now you get to learn how to hone all over again Terry... lol

Now you'll get to send me frustrated emails. hahaha

nice score tho, not sure if I could get one of those by SWMBO. Not yet anyway. :D

Thanks buddy. I hope I won't have to hone this for a very long time. I'll touch it up on my CrOx balsawood strop from time to time.

Top Bottom