What's new

Muhle r41 - how much closer does the 2011 head shave vs 2013?

I picked up my last 2011 R41, on the B/S/T, a week ago, for $60. Yes, a bit more than a new 2013 R41, but not too bad, in my book. Edgar makes an excellent point about the limited life-expectancy, which is why I have 3 of them. :001_smile Each of my 3 has at least a bit of plating-loss on the threads.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 3D-printed caps become available in metal, as well, but in the meantime, I think that I'll pick up the current ones, just to check them out.

i am waiting for the 3D-printed caps to become available in metal also and/or to come out out beta testing

If you want to get a feeling of how different the 2011 feels against the 2013, add 2 shims to the 2013 and remember, very light pressure.

^^^^ this is great advice.

Only a lunatic would shim the R41.

Hi Nuclearblast… I know you may not have been around the forum much yet, but there is a really informative thread about shimming the R41 with great success. People have used multiple shims and even tried it on the 2011. You should check it out. I forgot the name of the thread but I think it was heavily driven by some guy whose name started with "E" or something like that.

:thumbup1: :lol: :lol:

Hi Nuclearblast… I know you may not have been around the forum much yet, but there is a really informative thread about shimming the R41 with great success. People have used multiple shims and even tried it on the 2011. You should check it out. I forgot the name of the thread but I think it was heavily driven by some guy whose name started with "E" or something like that.

Hello Badger Bill.

Thanks, but I have no idea of what you're talking about. :lol::thumbup:

“You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams R.I.P.

That thread may or may not have been inspired by this guy:

$capture-20140726-174959.png

I think I'm going to first try the shim suggestion. How much do you take off each side of the blade to make the shim? Can I get a count of those who've tried it with the r41 2013? Of those who have tried it, do you still shim? Why or Why not?

I think I'm going to first try the shim suggestion. How much do you take off each side of the blade to make the shim? Can I get a count of those who've tried it with the r41 2013? Of those who have tried it, do you still shim? Why or Why not?

Not THAT many have tried it because it's kind of nuts, but it will give you a great approximation of the 2011… about as close as you can get without getting into the realm of 3D printing. As far as the shims go, just take off the sharp part of the blade. Leave as much of the blade as possible, as shims that are too narrow really start to create problems.

I put a DE89 top cap on my 2013 R41 and it has more blade exposure. I haven't shaved with it like that yet so I need to ask has anyone done the same thing that can comment on the shave?

Top Bottom