What's new

Mount Washington auto road

Took a van ride up to the summit of Mount Washington today. Fantastic, rare, clear day.

The auto road up gives a major pucker factor! It's narrow, winding, no gaurd rails, and near the top it has precipitous drop offs to one side or the other. Glad I was a passenger and not a driver.

For a fun overview, here's a video of the latest for those guys who like to average over 70mph up this twisting narrow road:

Did you take any photos from the summit? Interesting that you describe the weather as unusually clear. I was there 35 years ago on a beautiful summer day, and the summit (only the summit) was cold and foggy.

Thanks for the vid. Mt. Washington is on my "must visit one of these days" list. That video is crazy.

Those guys beat the record by less than 1/2 of one percent. Pretty close shave!

Last edited:
Nice video. Wonder how it compares with Pikes Peak.

The mountain is pretty dangerous. I think a couple hikers die there every year. Fog comes quick, get lost, temps drop, hypothermia kicks in. Highest recorded wind speed, over 230mph.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Excellent and congrats.
These days I just like to look at it while having a cocktail at the mt Washington hotel :)

Our van driver said that the rally guys who race both Pikes Peak and Mt Washington say the road up Washington is far more perilous and challenging. I can believe it.

For a humorous write up about one man's journey, try this:
The Mount Washington Auto Road | GAD's Ramblings

The summit is obscured by clouds 60% of the time statistically speaking. The only reason we decided to go up was there was a high pressure centered directly over the mountain yesterday and the winds were unusually calm. Temp at the peak a balmy 55 (80 I think at the base)

The day before the winds were 70mph up top, wind chill 31degrees.

All the good pics are on my wife's phone at the moment.

Last edited:
In 1975 I had restored a 1955 Pontiac convertible and my soon to be wife and I took a road trip. Going up Mt Washington wasn't bad, coming down with drum brakes left a lot to be desired!

IMG_8430.JPG
road coming down, and the King of the Mountain
IMG_8406.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom