What's new

Mother Lode knot

Any thoughts on the Mother Lode knot? It looked interesting so I steamed out the knot of a brush that wasn’t working well for me and put one in. It is very soft with densely packed fine bristles. It doesn’t have a lot of backbone, perhaps more if set deeper.

Attachments

• IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
The Motherlode is my favorite synthetic knot out of the many I've tried (although not the Wald A1). I haven't found anything softer.

The most recent ones I've purchased from Oumo have no discernible glue bump and I've found I can add a bit of backbone by setting them deeper.

I have a big one in 28mm that I set myself. I have to say, it's not part of my rotation. I tried it when I was going through synthetics and trying various knots, but now I am back where I started with boars. However, the Motherlode worked best for me when I had chronic RSI and struggled to lather any brush with any kind of backbone to it (had to get someone else to lather for me for several months at first) so it was a very good servant to me back then. As that was the second bad bout of RSI I have had, I keep the Motherlode around in case there is a third!

Just from my own experience I quite like the APO Shave Co synths but no larger than 24mm. I tried 26mm but found them to be unwieldy and sloppy. Just saying

Any thoughts on the Mother Lode knot? It looked interesting so I steamed out the knot of a brush that wasn’t working well for me and put one in. It is very soft with densely packed fine bristles. It doesn’t have a lot of backbone, perhaps more if set deeper.
BTW, that Semogue-style handle looks awesome. Great idea to repurpose it. Hope the Motherlode works out for you.

The only issue I have with the motherlode is that it’s made of thinner (make-up brush) fibers to give it it’s softness, but these make-up brush fibers lead to tangling with use. As such I won’t carry something like this as while it’s soft, to me personally, it leaves something to be desired due to it’s ease of getting tangled up.

The Motherlode knot was first introduced about 4yrs ago from Nathan @ Envy Shave and it even said in the description that it was originated from a make-up brush mfg. Softest knot on the market from everything I've read to date.

The only issue I have with the motherlode is that it’s made of thinner (make-up brush) fibers to give it it’s softness, but these make-up brush fibers lead to tangling with use. As such I won’t carry something like this as while it’s soft, to me personally, it leaves something to be desired due to it’s ease of getting tangled up.
I've used Motherlode knots most days for last few years, but I have not ever experienced tangling. I haven't used anything bigger than 25mm. I wonder if tangling is more of a problem with larger brushes.

I've used Motherlode knots most days for last few years, but I have not ever experienced tangling. I haven't used anything bigger than 25mm. I wonder if tangling is more of a problem with larger brushes.
That could certainly be the case. Knots get a lot denser as they get bigger. So perhaps this style of knot is best suited for a 20mm, 22mm, or 24mm knot. I have used a 26mm and 28mm with the tangling issue present in both unfortunately.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom