What's new

Mother Earth News - March 1972

Here is an interesting read from the year I graduated from High School! If this is old news please accept my apologies.
Some excerpts:

Don't buy a new razor unless you're sure that it does not have a stainless steel blade.

If you pay more than $2.50 for your used razor, you're getting ripped off. I have personally never shelled out more than $2.00 for a razor in Class A shape.

The stone is potentially the most expensive part of the deal. Expect to lay out from $2.50 to $10.00 for a good one

Ordinary soap will work quite well

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1972-03-01/How-to-Use-a-Straight-Razor.aspx

Sounds like some misinformation in that article. For example there are some very good stainless razors available. Also I have never found anyone that has spoken well of a shave that came from a bar of soap.Furthermore the generation that you missed, probably wouldn't had much use for a bar of soap, seeing how they invented the grunge look.

The prices are what got me. Thank you Federal Reserve for the most regressive, the most painful tax of them all, inflation. From the founding of America until the creation of the Fed about 130 years later, inflation was pretty much flat, up in some areas, down in others. A $2 razor in 1780 cost about $2 in 1913. The real theft started in the early 70s when we apparently all became Keynesians. What's that razor cost today? That's the Federal Reserve stealing the value of your money. Nice, eh?

Last edited:
The prices are what got me. Thank you Federal Reserve for the most regressive, the most painful tax of them all, inflation. From the founding of America until the creation of the Fed about 130 years later, inflation was pretty much flat, up in some areas, down in others. A $2 razor in 1780 cost about $2 in 1913. The real theft started in the early 70s when we apparently all became Keynesians. What's that razor cost today? That's the Federal Reserve stealing the value of your money. Nice, eh?
It's not that I want to run back and go back on the Gold Standard or anything, but lets not forget that in 1780 a man may have only earned $2.00 a week or month or whatever. The fact is, in spite of inflation, American's have generationally enjoyed more prosperity generation after generation until about 10 or so years ago. Inflation may "steal"... but it gives too!

+1 & well said. We should audit the Fed and put them on trial for treason.

It's not that I want to run back and go back on the Gold Standard or anything

I do. "Of all contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money." Daniel Webster, (1782-1852), US Senator.

Inflation may "steal"... but it gives too!

Inflation neither steals nor gives. It is but a byproduct of supply and demand. False inflation however, brought on by centrally planned price controls, never approximates the normal inflation/deflation cycles. Constant, ongoing inflation inflicted year after year by the Fed most certainly steals from anyone that must earn a living to survive. It happens to hurt the most vulnerable among us most.

I couldn't agree more.

+1 & well said. We should audit the Fed and put them on trial for treason.

Wow - you guys kill me. One, you can't put the Fed on trial for treason... sigh. It's not a government institution! Get real. Do you even know what the def of treason is?

Two, if you want to audit something - try auditing Fort Knox. I bet there would be a "discrepancy" there. Hasn't been done since the 70's I understand.

I love this quote - I do.
"Of all contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind,none has been more effective than that which deludes them with papermoney." Daniel Webster, (1782-1852), US Senator.

Why would the laboring class care about inflation in America? Inflation for the working man isn't a bad thing. He spends all his disposable income within a month and his meager savings gets a good rate. Short of inflation never seen in America such as 30% +

And If any of you think that inflation isn't matched by increases in salaries - prove it. Sure there are lags at times like in the 70's with the oil crisis and all. But like I said on a generation to generation level - we are doing great!

As it stands now we have such low inflation that the word stagflation is being used on an ongoing basis, but you still want to complain about inflation?? I don't get it!

Sorry, I look at this every day and get flustered at the level of misinformation out there. I might not be a fan of Keynes either but... try the Fed? Serioulsy?

Ouch! Economics hurts my brain says the engineer! LOL.

Good information, Earcutter. You sound like someone who knows the subject a bit too well. ;)

Why would the laboring class care about inflation in America?

Because by manipulating the supply of money and setting interest rates artificially low, the Fed discourages savings and the credit they created out of thin air encourages excessive spending and borrowing compared to a system where interest rates are set by a free market. This causes a boom where overinvestment and excesses create a bubble. The predictable result of excessive credit and artificially low interests rates is recession and depression. And, the longer the "good times" last, the greater the correction. These corrections hurt the laboring and poor classes the most. The Federal Reserve system also postpones payments to the next generation. As of this morning, we owe about $15.4 trillion. That bill hurts everyone, rich and poor.

And If any of you think that inflation isn't matched by increases in salaries - prove it.

First, you must remember that government likes to use their "official" inflation figure which EXCLUDES the price of food and fuel (but hey, who uses food and fuel?). Real inflation has far outpaced median income. In 1967 median household income was about $35,000. Inflation adjusted that's about $229,000, yet the median household income today is about $50,000. The same is true for the working poor. When adjusted for inflation, the highest federal minimum wage was in 1968.
Did you ever wonder why it takes both a mother and father to work today? Inflation is the answer.

So, to answer your question, yes, seriously. Look at it this way: the Fed is a centrally managed price control...the price of money (interest rates). Is there anything else you think should be subject to central price controls? Should the government set the price of shaving soap and razors? How about a can of Coke? I assume you would say "no", the price of a Coke should be determined by supply and demand. If so, why would you support controlling the price of money?

Remember to that it is the Fed that does its best to keep inflation from exceeding 3%.

Yes, but when real, market determined inflation should be well less than 3% (or even deflation), artificially keeping inflation near 3% is in effect a tax on wage earners, one that effects the poor and middle class disproportionally.

"No monetary consideration is more urgent than the regular redemption and discharge of the public debt: on none can delay be more injurious, or an economy of time more valuable." George Washington

But, hey, what did old George know???

Man, I seem to be the odd man out again lol (surprise, surprise)!! Unfortunately, on a forum like this, to get all my assumptions squared away, facts on the table etc. etc., though a labor of love, would take forever! I am just glad that others are as passionate about these issues as I am, and that they use that knowledge to vote accordingly. Just make sure you have facts and aren't taking what others have said as truths.

Besides, I am almost certain that if we were at a table, this conversationwould take about an hour. And in that hour we would discover that no matter howwe got there, we would all want the same thing - a better and stronger nationfor both us and future generations.

Man, I seem to be the odd man out again lol (surprise, surprise)!! Unfortunately, on a forum like this, to get all my assumptions squared away, facts on the table etc. etc., though a labor of love, would take forever! I am just glad that others are as passionate about these issues as I am, and that they use that knowledge to vote accordingly. Just make sure you have facts and aren't taking what others have said as truths.

Besides, I am almost certain that if we were at a table, this conversationwould take about an hour. And in that hour we would discover that no matter howwe got there, we would all want the same thing - a better and stronger nationfor both us and future generations.

Wow, really well said. A gentleman on the internet...who knew?!

Top Bottom