What's new

Most Aggressive OC Gillette?

Chris: I see one of those is the NEW and the last one is the service set, but is the first one a #77 by chance?

The handle is similar to the #77 but it is shorter and the first razor is a three piece and the #77/#88 are two piece.

Here is my #88 with the English New from my first image.
proxy.php

I sold a couple Chrome Big Boys a while back. They are beautiful heavy razors but were a bit to aggressive for me.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have a long-comb "red and black" NEW that I have used for the past 5 days in a row. It's a very smooth, intuitive shaver.

The only problem I have with it is that it is extremely MILD. Just like shaving with a Tech, except that it looks cooler.

Is a NEW Deluxe that much different from my long-comb red and black?

Yes, much different shave than a long comb- it shaves much like if not exactly like a short comb in comparison. I personally feel the shaving difference between the short comb and New Deluxe is weight, not necessarily that much of a difference between the comb profile.

Nick--I'm guessing that the Old Type of about any sort is going to be the most aggressive of the bunch. I think think they are much more aggressive than my NEW and probably anything else made after the head redesign.

Nick--I'm guessing that the Old Type of about any sort is going to be the most aggressive of the bunch. I think think they are much more aggressive than my NEW and probably anything else made after the head redesign.

Really? Even more so than the De Luxe variants? I have never tried using a shim with a Single Ring, maybe that would make it more aggressive?

A short comb or New Deluxe on a BRW XL handle would be a close approximation as well I would think to a Big Boy. You need me to lend you a Streamline my man? Sounds like you are seeking everything except a straight which I know you meddle with as well.

Odd... I don't find my Old Type to be particularly aggressive. I find it gives me a close, comfortable shave every time, whether I'm using a Feather, a Shark SC, or a Personna Med Prep blade. I get a closer, yet more comfortable shave from my Old Type than from my Futur, at any setting/blade combo, yet almost never get a weeper from the Old Type. I've never had a nick from the Old Type, ever.
OTOH, I could never get a decent nick-free shave from my Merkur 34 HD... Just a terrible, terrible shaver for me all-around. (Then again, who knows how much out of "spec" my Merkur was, with their absolutely nonexistent quality control.)

Odd... I don't find my Old Type to be particularly aggressive. I find it gives me a close, comfortable shave every time, whether I'm using a Feather, a Shark SC, or a Personna Med Prep blade. I get a closer, yet more comfortable shave from my Old Type than from my Futur, at any setting/blade combo, yet almost never get a weeper from the Old Type. I've never had a nick from the Old Type, ever.
OTOH, I could never get a decent nick-free shave from my Merkur 34 HD... Just a terrible, terrible shaver for me all-around. (Then again, who knows how much out of "spec" my Merkur was, with their absolutely nonexistent quality control.)

My 34 HD and I never have gotten along either. No other razor has nicked me and cause more weepers than the 34c. I much prefer my Futur, 39 Sledgehammer, or Mergress to the 34c. I'm a big fan of both the long and short comb Gillette "New" heads!

My 34 HD and I never have gotten along either. No other razor has nicked me and cause more weepers than the 34c. I much prefer my Futur, 39 Sledgehammer, or Mergress to the 34c. I'm a big fan of both the long and short comb Gillette "New" heads!

I just picked up my first new yesterday. Haven't had time to polish it up yet...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Really? Even more so than the De Luxe variants? I have never tried using a shim with a Single Ring, maybe that would make it more aggressive?

I am always looking for aggressive razors, and have used the following which I feel are in order of aggression - highest first, the (non-Gillettes) are there strictly for calibration.

(Barbasol (either type))
Old Type Big Fellow, especially cranked open just a hair
(Muhle 2011 New Design Sort of Open)
(Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff Long Handle Short Combed New Head)
New Improved Big Fellow
New Deluxe
Old Type Pocket

I agree with Xillion- Old type has been the most aggressive 3 piece Gillette I've shaved with, followed secondly by a New Deluxe. Love the New Deluxe, did not have fun with the Old Type.

New Deluxe is aggressive and pleasant, Old type doesn't feel nearly as smooth.

Beav, do you have any particular blade in mind when you say that? Mine hasn't been much to speak about as far as aggression, but there are many possibilities. My New Standard walks all over it so far.

How do people here perceive the OC Gillettes in comparison to a "bench mark" such as the Merkur 34?

I ask, because I do NOT prefer aggressive razors and my Old Type (Ball end handle) to be very smooth and gentle. I really *hated* the Merkur 34, as I absolutely could NOT get a decent, comfortable shave from the thing. My Futur at 2 or 2.5 is fine as far as comfort is concerned, but my Old Type is just as comfortable, yet gives a *much* closer shave.

My New Deluxe is aggressive, but somehow very easy to find the sweet spot with...I almost never get irritation. In fact it's now getting replated by Onotoman. Paired with my Bob's Razorworks Bull Mastiff handle, it got most of the use before, and will likely get even more when I get it back all shiny.

Top Bottom