What's new

Monarch Butterfly Emerging

Mom has been raising and releasing Monarchs the last couple of years. I was able to capture one emerging from it's chrysalis this morning. The first shot is from last night.
P1390116.JPG
P1390160.JPG
P1390218.JPG
P1390225.JPG
P1390228.JPG
P1390229.JPG
P1390230.JPG
P1390234.JPG
P1390236.JPG
P1390240.JPG

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That’s wild. Nature is awesome. Great shots.

Is there a lot of work involved in raising butterflies?

Thanks!
No. She just has a small patch of Milkweed and some other flowers in her back yard. She collects a few caterpillars and brings them in and leaves some out. Just has to feed fresh milkweed every day and clean out the rotting ones leaves out. Sort of a way of not keeping all your eggs in one basket. This year she only had 4 took two in left two out. Both the ones she brought in were released healthy. Both the ones she left out disappeared one day. Probably eaten by predators.

I planted some vines around my lanai, and they grew and grew up and on the top, well unknown to me one of the vines was food for a butterfly, and before you knew it, i had the full life cycle going here in central florida, So the butterflies laid eggs on the vines, they hatched, ate the vines almost bare, crawled everywhere and when ready hung themselves under the eaves of the lanai. Some lived and hatched and did it all over again, I took a few picture of them after hatching, spreading wings and drying them out.
The cardinals would pick them off the eaves, presuming feeding their babies. I finally had to get rid of the vines, they just got so out of control.

Great pics though of yours..

Amazing shots! I’ve been raising caterpillars with my boys the past couple summers too! We gather them up from the garden and feed them just like you said. We released over 20 of them this year, only one didn’t make it from caterpillar to butterfly which is a great percentage.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I planted some vines around my lanai, and they grew and grew up and on the top, well unknown to me one of the vines was food for a butterfly, and before you knew it, i had the full life cycle going here in central florida, So the butterflies laid eggs on the vines, they hatched, ate the vines almost bare, crawled everywhere and when ready hung themselves under the eaves of the lanai. Some lived and hatched and did it all over again, I took a few picture of them after hatching, spreading wings and drying them out.
The cardinals would pick them off the eaves, presuming feeding their babies. I finally had to get rid of the vines, they just got so out of control.

Great pics though of yours..

Absolutely amazing shots! Thanks. I may have similar opportunity....

This vine quoted, sounds like passionflower - did it have trippy purple flowers? Grow 6" a day? Passionflower vine is the only food for gulf coast fritillary butterfly, I've got them all over mine.

Yeah, the vine is trying to eat my house first! Have noticed shoots coming up in the lawn ...

AA

Amazing shots! I’ve been raising caterpillars with my boys the past couple summers too! We gather them up from the garden and feed them just like you said. We released over 20 of them this year, only one didn’t make it from caterpillar to butterfly which is a great percentage.
Thank you!
That's an amazing percentage, has to be much higher than they would have done on there own. Great job to you and your boys!

Absolutely amazing shots! Thanks. I may have similar opportunity....

This vine quoted, sounds like passionflower - did it have trippy purple flowers? Grow 6" a day? Passionflower vine is the only food for gulf coast fritillary butterfly, I've got them all over mine.

Yeah, the vine is trying to eat my house first! Have noticed shoots coming up in the lawn ...

AA
It probably was, I had 2, a white and a red /purple red color, One vine they didnt touch, i heard it could kill em,
the other vine after a cpl cycles was pretty well stripped. So what I did, is spray the vine, so it would kill a generation of caterpillars, and the vine would rebound , so the next gen or two would have food. Didnt slow them down much at all.

Top Bottom