What's new

Mini-NYC meetup

So DunEdinRanger and I were talking about how the old American Safety Razor plant (Where blades for GEMs and Ever Ready SEs used to be made) is over in Brooklyn, and decided that this Sunday (April 10th) was a great day to do it. It isn't a factory anymore, but now is part of NYU. We wanted to go visit and bring shovels/metal detectors to find a huge stash of NOS Streamlines and other razors. After that, we'll do a short pizza crawl before heading to Pasteur's and then to Heartland Brewery for beer and socializing.

If anyone wants to join us, let us know. I'm sure we'll get the times finalized pretty soon. Hope to see a few of you guys there.

333 Jay St and 64 Lawrence Street are the addresses.

You know you don't want to miss this. The historic site where GEM designed the famed MicroMatic, and where they were made.

The A,C,F,N & R Subway lines will deliver you to within a block of your destination.

I'm thinking we can meet at 12:30 PM?

Pizza, Pasteurs, & Piwo to follow. :thumbup1:

Of course I will post photos of the ASR Building, but wouldn't it be better to visit in person, before the building is torn down?

Does anyone else want to dig up hidden GEMs with us? We need a place to rent a metal detector, by the way. Anyone know of a place?

As an ex-new yorker, I'll be there in spirit.:sad:

Weather is real nice here, though...:tongue_sm

I am with you in spirit as well. Born in Brooklyn, and lived on the Island, Queens and Manhattan. Enjoy your outing and pizza. I really do miss the pizza:thumbup::thumbup:

We'll be here:

proxy.php

12:30 PM Sunday, 10 April 2011.

If you will be there, PM me as I can receive those on my cell.

We came.

We saw.

We left confused.

It was a pleasure, as always to meet up with folks from B&B, like "Inky" and the appearance of "Darjeeling Express" was an added bonus.

The building "The Rogers Building" on the campus of NYU Polytechnic however, remains a mystery. We were at the right site, and you could feel the aura of the old GEM manufacturing equipment humming away.

But, there was no indication of the historic nature of the site, of the innovations that ASR pioneered, including the first twist to open razor blade - the MicroMatic. And at a Polytechnic University, that is inexplicable.

Photos are up on this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=202117

We did it. As Lou indicates, it was a bit confusing, but as Inky and Lou can attest, when we pulled out our 1912 Gem, it started to glow!!

It really was wonderful seeing fellow badgers. We strained our eyes to try and find some clue of Gem's heritage and despite our best efforts, we could not find any archeological clues.

Nevertheless, it was an effort well worth made!

Top Bottom