What's new

Ming Shi 2000, first use.

I have been watching all the threads on these Futur clones with interest. After a few "false starts" I finally received one from a vendor on the 'bay for $6.26. Took a month to receive. The picture on the listing was in the black box that the QShave brand uses, but I received a MingShi branded box, along with a tuck of Ming Shi blades. I can't really find any consistent/ reliable information that confirms that there's any difference, so I'm not going to worry about the branding.
Looking it over, I'm reasonably impressed. Some very small marks here-and-there that seem to be common. The adjustment mechanism seems smooth. There does seem to be a little "play" in the head. I'm going to shim the head piece as many have done, and expect that the play will be sorted out without much trouble.

Last night I dropped a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (one prior use on it) into it and it appeared that the blade didn't align perfectly. Having repeatedly read about this, I was prepared. I took the top cap off and turned it around and pressed it into place, and all looked well. Deciding to err on the side of caution, I started with it set at 1.5. After the first stroke, I could tell that wasn't going to cut it (sorry, had to do it), so I turned it up to 2.5. Second pass, I moved it up to 3.5.

First thing I noticed is that this thing is very loud. The "scraping toast" sound that many mention is definitely there.
Overall, this thing provided a remarkably good shave considering that it was my first use with it. The huge head on it seems a little unwieldy, and it was kind of hard to judge the line on my goatee and sideburns, but both of those complaints will probably go away with more use.

I only did a WTG and a XTG pass, with a bit of touch up around my throat. Resulted in a very nice feeling and good looking result. After the shave, I noticed that there was no irritation anywhere, even in my usual tricky spots.
Color me very impressed with this thing. I'm going to stick with it for a while and see what more experience with it does.
For the hilariously-low price of $6.26, including a tuck of blades and shipping from the other side of the world, I cannot even begin to complain about this razor.

IMG_20171115_093228.jpg

Also, I'm beginning to recognize that I'm a "cheap date". One of my more-appreciated razors is the simple Razorock Tek II, and now this thing has blown me away.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The Ming Shi 2000S certainly shave way above its weight class. I do find the Futur slightly more efficient.

Also the slightly skinnier handle on the Ming Shi allows it to fit head down in one of my razor/brush stands.

Good info to know if I ever take the plunge on one! What do you use to shim?

If you dig through the reviews, it seems to me that this razor is overwhelmingly favorably reviewed. It's remarkable for such an inexpensive razor, really.

For shimming, you can buy copper sheets at hobby/art supply stores. I'm going to try aluminum.

I've been lucky in that the Ming Shi I've been using the last 2 months hasn't has problems with gap or blade alingment.
With the exception of a GSB, every blade I've used in it has been blades I didn't like in other razors. Polsilver, Voskhod & 7 O'clock Black to name a few. Last week, I tried a Zorrik Super Platinum in it, and got the absolute best & easiest BBS every.
This razor has been amazing. Best $7 I've spent on shaving.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

The alignment could have been just as much user error as anything else, though it is a fairly common complaint.

I realize I only have one shave with the razor, but I really was impressed. I'll try different blades through it.

Also, I'm beginning to recognize that I'm a "cheap date". One of my more-appreciated razors is the simple Razorock Tek II, and now this thing has blown me away.

My favorite razor is the $8.00 RR Teck II. I actually just bought 3 more as a long-term insurance policy a couple weeks ago. I bought the Ming Shi at the same time because I figured for $9.00, it would be worth the price just to try it out. I haven't shaved with it yet, but your great review has put it back on my radar. It doesn't cost much to get a good shave these days, that's for sure!

Okay, I have not shaved with it, but why let a lack of experience get in the way, right?

I looked at one at Maggard's. Darn impressive. I have read some found the handle could get slick. A bit of alum on the hand solves that. :)

I looked at one at Maggard's. Darn impressive. I have read some found the handle could get slick. A bit of alum on the hand solves that. :)

I've read complaints about the slickness of the handle as well and had to chuckle. We've become hopelessly spoiled in this miraculous age of $50 CNC machined SS razors and artisan soapmakers raising the bar by the day. You're absolutely right of course that a bit of alum solves the problem, but for that matter, for the $7.00 price tag, you could bring it to your barber to shave you and still be way out ahead!!! :001_tongu

This is the best time in history to be a DE shaver!

I take care of the slick handle issue by not allowing the handle to get wet. It works like a charm!

+1
Nobody will ever mistake me for being graceful, but "slippery handles" is not an issue I typically suffer from.

I like my QShave, works well with nearly any blade, and provides a very comfortable shave. Hmm, tomorrow might be it's turn for a run.

I'll tell you what, guys, this thing is so good. I just can't believe how much I like using it.

At lower settings, I feel like you could run pretty wild with this thing. I haven't dialed it all the way up, yet, since I only like more aggressive razors when I have at least a couple of days' worth of growth, and to be honest, i've wanted to shave with this thing everyday since I got it.

I think this may be a good razor to recommend to newbies looking for a low-cost introductory razor.

Just ordered one from Ali Express. tried to holdout, couldn't do it. Hopefully all goes well.

Right on! I'm wicked impressed with this thing. I cannot believe how great it shaves. My neck usually barks at me if I shave too close for too many days in a row, but I've used this thing several days now and all is well with the skin on my neck.

Still not totally in love with using this to cut around my sideburns and goatee. The head still seems kind of clunky to me. I keep an injector handy, though, as that seems to work the absolute best for that task. Mildly annoying to use two razors, but we'll see how things go.

Cool, brand new to this, been using a EJ DE89 and love it. Can't wait to experiment with the adjustable.

Top Bottom