What's new

Military Presentation 40s-50s Era Hamilton

Just picked this up locally. Sets and winds perfectly, and SMOOTHLY. So far running strong though surely in need of a good cleaning. The dial is also pretty dirty and could do with a good cleaning.

Not terribly familiar with the various Hamilton case styles in wrist watches. I was hoping somebody might recognize it and ID it for me- maybe Andrew or one of the other vintage guys. I will of course have the back off soon with a watchmaker and get a serial number and movement number. The band is a Kreisler expansion bracelet in pretty good shape.

The back is marked 14K gold filled and is handsomely engraved thusly:

LT Rankin
from
Enlisted Personnel
6 FA Brigade

But alas, no date.

Thanks for any input!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice presentation watch Clyde! I am afraid that I am not up on the Hamiltons like some of the others here. But I do want to congratulate you on a very nice find!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Nice watch.

Let us know what the model # of the mvt is and model once you have someone open it up.

I just got this watch from my mother who had been hiding it for a number of years (because she didn't want me to "waste" any money having it restored).

It looks similar to the model you have found.

This was my grandfathers watch - and from what my mother remembers it was a birthday present bought for my grandfather by his new wife many years ago.

I'm in the process of finding a repairman/restorer to have this one redone - though it does run! (Any referrals with personal experience feel free to chime in).

Btw - the dial on your find looks great. Get it cleaned - but I don't think it needs to be repainted. A little staining is acceptable for a 60+ year old watch..

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Your grandfather's watch is priceless. I have a couple of watches that belonged to my father, but none of my grandfather's.

I've gotten a couple of estimates on service and restoration of the watch, and they range from $95-255. Probably go with the lower end of the scale. :biggrin1:

Agreed. Find out exactly what the repairer will be doing. A cleaning needs to involve (at a minimum) complete disassembly, cleaning and reassembly and lube. This seem to run $60-120 from what I am seeing. The cleaning and resto of the face seem to be the much larger variable. Anywhere from $35-120 depending on what is done & who is doing it.

Yes, you guys are right about getting what you pay for...

In this case, the $95 quote is from a reputable watchmaker with good references and includes movement cleaning, but not a full restoration of the dial. I honestly think it just needs a good cleaning; the dial isn't really bad.

The $250 quote is from one of the absolute top Pre-1950 watch guys...but I don't think that level of expertise is warranted in this particular case. (Still mulling it over, though) But he WILL get to work on my pet RR watches. :001_smile

Thanks, Andrew! That link is amazing with the scanned catalogs. :thumbsup:

I think I have definitely narrowed it down - thanks to that link- to the Sutton model, which was last shown in the 1940 catalog at $55. :001_tongu (That's over $800 in 2010 dollars.):ohmy:

Last edited:
Sent my watch to NH for restoration yesterday. Looking forward to seeing it and being able to wear it.

Will post pics when I get it back..

Any recommendations on a color and/or type watch band?

The Spiedel has to go-

I was thinking of a good thick solid brown leather band. But perhaps there is something I would like that I haven't thought of..?

Got my Grandad's watch back from the shop this morning - it's a night and day difference.

The face is an amazing improvement (yes it's the original) and it's keeping good time. Hands are a very close match to the catalog watch - and turns out I was right about the model.

Hard to believe this was the watch from the pictures above huh?

It ran about two and a half. That included of course, new crystal, matching vintage hands (they were missing) and a face restoration.
It would have been less if it hadn't been in such rough shape to begin with.

I think it looks great! Really a night and day difference. Enjoy that beauty of a watch and family heirloom.

Top Bottom