What's new

mightyeskimo`s Shave Journal

It's here! It's here! My SOC2 is here! Now the rest of the week with THE FAT! Can anyone recommend an aftershave that pairs well?

Week 3-Day 3

Maggard MR7
Gillette Silver Blue (x1)
SOC2
THE FAT
Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel
Proraso Blue After Shave Balm

3 Pass Shave-WTG, XTG, CTG

DFS. CWS. I had some irritation yesterday so I washed my face last night and changed everything this morning. That'll work right? LOL! Seriously, I'm getting to the point where I know how these products perform so switching up a bunch of stuff isn't the large amount of variable change it seems to be. I think the open comb may have been a touch much on the last shave so I pulled the MR7 back out. I really love this razor. THE FAT felt great. I had to load up twice but all in all the lather was good. The SOC2 also performed well. It's a bit stiff but that's to be expected from a new boar. No funky smell either, very clean.

Week 3-Day 4

1930`s Gillette SC NEW
Gillette Silver Blue (x2)
SOC2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream Green
THE FAT
Lucky Tiger Tonic
Bigelow Blue Cologne

DFS. CWS. Well it's good to know that the irritation I experienced two days ago wasn't the fault of my NEW. I used the same Silver Blue from yesterday and the shave was great. Very comfortable and smooth. I can conclude that the Silver Blues are more comfortable to me than the 7 o clock Yellow. I'm also loving THE FAT! Very slick.

Week 3-Day 5

1930`s Gillette SC NEW
SOC2
Proraso Pre Shave Cream Green
THE FAT
Proraso Blue Aftershave Balm

DFS. CWS. Silver Blues continue to perform out of site! I think I'll ship the pre shave cream tomorrow to get a better read on blade and soap performance. Maybe even break out a little Clubman. :)

Week 3-Day 6

1930`s Gillette SC NEW
SOC2
THE FAT
Clubman OG (that's right, I said OG)

DFS. CWS. I skipped the pre shave and still had a great experience despite my first actual nick. It's true, lose concentration and rush for just a second and you pay the price. The old toilet paper trick worked just fine. I think I'll use the x2 on my Yellow in my MR7 to close out the week tomorrow. Friday starts a week with my 37C! Now I just gotta pick a soap. Hmmmmm. Tabac? Stirling?

Week 3-Day 7

Maggard MR7
Gillette 7 o clock Yellow (x2)
SOC2
THE FAT
Lucky Tiger Tonic

DFS. CWS. Well the Yellow performed better than my previous experience but still not quite as good as the Silver Blue. It seemed as sharp but not as smooth. My week with THE FAT has been great. A very nice soap. Easy to lather with a boar and very slick if you can achieve that perfect balance of water to product. The SC NEW is a very nice shaver once you get the handle of it. I don't know if I can say that I prefer an open comb or straight bar at this point but I know that I can now shave confidently with any OC.

Week 4-Day 1

Merkur 37C
Lord Platinum (x1)
SOC2
Stirling Clubman
Clubman OG

DFS. CWS. Well I survived the first run with the slant! I think I notice a difference in the efficiency however it's not blowing me away yet. This is probably due to technique and a new blade. The Lord Platinum performed fairly well however I got think it's as comfortable as my Blues. I think I'll try an x2 with the Lord and then throw in a Blue and compare. The Stirling was nice. I had to load up twice but I'm sure I'll get the amount right next time. It's similar to Clubman but not dead on to me. I may drop in some Sharp Dressed Man later in the week for kicks. :)

Last edited:
Week 4-Day 2

Merkur 37C
Personna Blue (x1)
SOC2
Stirling Clubman
Clubman OG

DFS. CWS. The Personna Blue seemed slightly better than the Lord Platinum but not by much. I'm still waiting for that slant efficiency to be realized.

Week 4-Day 3

Merkur 37C
SOC2
Bigelow
Clubman OG

DFS. CWS. With a busy day ahead I needed a shave that I could count on, so I loaded up my last Silver Blue and some Bigelow. I love a CWS with menthol and eucalyptus. That's just the height of refreshing! The Silver Blue performed just as I had expected and felt better than the Personna.

I'm going to go back through the last three blades I've used for x2 shootout. The Lord Platinum is up next, followed by the Personna Blue then the Silver Blue.

Week 4-Day 4

Merkur 37C
Lord Platinum (x2)
SOC2
Stirling Clubman
Clubman OG

CCS. CWS. I'm still having trouble getting a decent lather from Stirling. I was pressed for time so I added some Cremo on the third pass and went with it. The Lord was okay but not noteworthy.

Favorite Razor/Blade Combos

Merkur 34C

1. Trig SE
2. Gillette Wilkinson

Maggard MR7

1. Gillette Silver Blues
2. Gillette 7am Green SS

1930`s Gillette SC NEW

1. Gillette Silver Blues
2. Lord Platinum
3. Gillette 7 o clock Yellow
4. Durablade 7am

Merkur 37C

1. Gillette Silver Blues
2. Personna Blue
3. Lord Platinum

Last edited:
Week 4-Day 5

Merkur 37C
Personna Blue Super (x2)
SOC2
DR Harris Marlborough Cream
Clubman OG

4 Pass Shave-WTG, XTG, CTG, XTG

DFS. CWS. I knew I was going to be operating on little sleep so I grabbed a nice cream from my den to make things easier. I put extra attention into`no pressure` and was awarded with a fantastic shave with little to no irritation. I think I'm starting to really hone into my diagonal crisscross neck pattern. The x2 on the Personna was certainly better than the Lord. Back to Stirling tomorrow.

Week 4-Day 6

Merkur 37C
SOC2
Clubman OG

DFS. CWS. So I stuck with the Harris cream again due to time and the trouble I've been having lathering Stirling. I think I'll get out the Marlborough soap and super lather tomorrow. Again I paid clue attention to no pressure and had an awesome shave. The Silver Blue x2 was great. I made them my first bulk purchase with 50 for 12 bucks. :)

Week 4-Day 7

Merkur 37C
Gillette Silver Blue (x3)
SOC2
DR Harris Marlborough Soap
Clubman OG

DFS. CWS. I think the DR Harris soap is easier to lather than the Stirling. Great super lather result. Had some irritation that may be from a combination of the x3 on the blade and technique. Still comfortable a short time later though.

Om so I just tried a test lather, my first actually, with Tabac. This soap rocks! It was so easy to get a ton on great lather that I just might stay with it for a couple weeks. I'm also going to start tomorrow with a fresh Polsilver in my OSS. Good week starting out!

Top Bottom