What's new

Mexican Coke (Cane Sugar) in North Carolina?

You guys are scaring me now...I've never heard of Mexican Coke. :001_huh:

My wife says the local market - Wal-Mart - has all too many groceries from south of the border, so I guess now I'll have to look for it.

Um, what does the Mexican Coke look like anyway? Does it say bottled in Mexico on the cap?

I must have the worst timing for shopping at Kroger. Every time I stop in, they're sold out of the Mexican Coke in the International Aisle. Nothing at all in the kosher section. Tonight I finally hit gold--one bottle. We'll see if it lives up to its hype.

That's funny because every time I go to Kroger, there is always a shelf full. The cheapo in me won't spend that amount for such a small bottle of Coke. However, I will gladly (and often) spend $5 on a beer in a restaurant. Whoo! Priorities! :thumbup:

I have to go to Kroger this morning. I might get one then. And take a picture for Cmaster.

After years of drinking the HFCS Coke, I needed a few bottles to appreciate the real sugar in the Passover Coke. Once I tried a few bottles of Passover Coke and went back to the HFCS, the HFCS Coke tasted just nasty.

I've been reading about this for a while, but I can never seem to find any. Does anybody have any ideas about where to get it in North Carolina?

I have tried this Mexican Coke on a number of occasions. I usually pick it up in bodega in the city of Passaic, Northern NJ or in Alphabet City on the lower east side of Manhattan. My experience with the Coke from Mexico and Central America is.....Sure it is made with cane sugar but the problem is they really cut back on the "Coke" syrup. So you get more of one ingredient and less of the primary ingredient. Just my opinion.

Cheers:huh:

I do all my grocery shopping at Publix. I am not sure if Publix is in NC, but its a nice grocery chain. They will order any item you can think of. I ordered a few premium root beers a while back no problem.

I would think Kroger would do this. They seem like a decent grocery chain a few steps below Publix.

My neighborhood Kroger has restocked its supply of Mexican Coke. I'm actually not much of a soda drinker, and when I do drink it, I usually drink Coke Zero. However the possibility of some Cuba Libre made with nice Coke drove me into action.

Last edited:
I bought a bottle the other night. I tried some pictures with my camera phone, but they didn't come out very well.

I actually thought it tasted just like regular pepsi. And I don't like pepsi. I think regular coke has a bit of a bite pepsi doesn't.

Still keeping an eye out for Passover coke.

I scored some Kosher Coke last weekend. Good stuff. I will still prefer my Throwback Pepsi though. Wish they would just bring that back for good. I don't drink a lot of soda, but I would prefer it to not have HFCS in it.

My neighborhood Kroger has restocked its supply of Mexican Coke. I'm actually not much of a soda drinker, and when I do drink it, I usually drink Coke Zero. However the possibility of some Cuba Libre made with nice Coke drove me into action.

<However the possibility of some Cuba Libre made with nice Coke drove me into action>

Heck, yes. I had not drunk a rum and coke (at least a regular rather than diet coke) in decades before I got ahold of the first round of Pepsi Throwback, but between being able to get actual Coca-Cola made with sugar and this Ron Abuelo Panamanian rum we brought back from Costa Rica, Cuba Libre seems to have become my go to cocktail. Takes me right back to high school in a way, or perhaps Majorca, but tastes very, very good to this now very adult and now I am sure dull palate.

BTW, the plot thckens yet again as to what goes on with sugar versus HFCS in Coca-Cola and Pepsi from various places. In Costa Rica my impression was that both the Coke and Pepsi was all sugar. But thinking back the word in the ingredients list in Spanish may not have been azucar, which I take it is the usual word for "sugar" but something like "sucre." Maybe that word would cover both beet and cane sugar/sucrose, but also HFCS. Moreover, some on-line discussions of Mexican Coke indicates that the ingredient lists in English are now saying sugar and/or corn syrup, but also that sugar may have been applied loosely any caloric sweetner used in Mexico or other Latin countries and they may have been using some HFCS all along. see http://www.yelp.com/topic/new-york-...cs-and-or-sugar-label-on-recent-mexican-cokes

Further I was in a Latin market this week that had imported Coca-Cola and Pepsi for $1.39 a 12 oz thick bottle. The English language ingredient list pasted on one--the Coke, I think, I may this reversed, which I think was made in Nicaragua (it said which country, may memory is just fussy) said something like "corn syrup and/or sugar." I think Pepsi paste on label said made in, I think Panama, listed both corn syrup and sugar on the ingredients list, listing corn syrup first, the followed a few ingrediants later by sugar, which would indicate more corn syrup than sugar.

Finally, I was comparing the 2 liiter Kosher for Passover Pepsi I have ingredients list to what seems to the regular 2 liter US bottling of Pepsi. The Kosher for Passover Pepsi lists just "sugar," using that word (Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola uses the word "sucrose"). However, and I sure had not noticed this before if it were there before, lists corn syrup first, but further down the ingrediants list it actually lists "sugar"!

One last one--I cannot seem to find the link now, but a web site that specializes in selling soft drinks with real sugar has notices on it that it can no longer sell Coca Cola products because of litigation threatened by Coca-Cola, I think Coca Cola USA. So not only does Coca-Cola deign not to allow sugared Coke available in the United States, it is also trying to stamp out anyone else making it available.

I met a guy who works for Coca-Cola and he said that Coke and Pepsi have the same exact ingredients just in different proportions.

Top Bottom