What's new

Mexican Coke (Cane Sugar) in North Carolina?

I've been reading about this for a while, but I can never seem to find any. Does anybody have any ideas about where to get it in North Carolina?

I've been reading about this for a while, but I can never seem to find any. Does anybody have any ideas about where to get it in North Carolina?

Does the Costco in Durham not have it? The Costcos around DC have started to carry it.

There's some good authentic-tuype Mexican places down there right? Don't they have it by the bottle? Costco is the only place around here that I know of to get it by the case.

You know about the 100% sugar-sweetened Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola and Pepsi, right? It is in some of the stores around DC, Coke is in two-liter plastic bottles with yellow cap. Ingredient list has no HFCS on it and lists "sucrose." Pepsi is two-liter bottle with a white cap, and lists "sugar" and not HFCS on the label. (To my surprise regular Pepsi, it turns out, seems to list both HFCS and sugar on the label.)

I don't know where to find it in NC, but I'll recommend you try it. I'm luck enough to be able to get Mexican Coke in Mexico. A bit cheaper down there, too.

Never ordered from these guys, but the pricing seems reasonable. http://www.drsoda.com/mexicancoke.html

Note they specifically indicate shipping glass bottles is at your own risk.

Am I doing something wrong on the site? The price is $35 or so a case plus $50 plus for shipping? I paid about $19 at Costco for a case. Maybe there is a busniess opportunity here! I do not know that I could tell the difference between the Mexican version and Kosher for Passover Coke and that is $1.25 for a two liter bottle, albeit plastic. Do others think there is a difference betweem Mexican and Passover Coke?

Nid, next time I am in Durham, I will bring you some!

Thanks!

You have a Mexican restaurant/grocery store around? We have one locally that is a restaurant and sells goods on the side. In the cooler, among other stuff, is Jarritos and Coke from Mexico. That is where I buy mine.

I think the mexican grocer on 70/98 in Durham has it- they seem to have everything, and cheap. Here's their info

Tienda Mi Pueblo
1408 Avondale Drive, Durham, NC 27701-2308
(919) 682-6123‎

I don't know for sure, so you might want to call.

I've heard that there is also Passover coke, which has the same recipe (real sugar) as the Mexican coke. You're in luck, its almost Passover time! Look for the parve / kosher symbol.

proxy.php

Image courtesy of Serious Eats; who had it courtesy of mhaithaca on Flickr

Also, the article in the link said something about Pepsi unrolling a "Pepsi Throwback" also with real sugar. Interesting.

Good photo. That yellow cap, and the Hebrew/Kosher letters symbols are definitely what to look for. In Pepsi, the white cap on 2 liter bottles and I do not know whther the cap has the symbols or not. Maybe it has to to be legit for Passover.

I think Pepsi throwback is still in the stores. It was supposed to have a 3 month run, if I recall. The three months may have been Jan through March. Someone should do some blind tastings of Throwback, Kosher for Passover Pepsi, and Regular Pepsi against each other, and the same for Kosher for Passover Coke against regular HFCS Coke. I have something of a sense that the Pepsi Throwback tastes watered down compared to the Passover Pepsi. I think the first time Pepsi throwback came out it was less watered down. I think these companies may be trying to show that we all really like HFCS better, but they do not want to go so far as to mess around with the formula for Passover purposes!

Good photo. That yellow cap, and the Hebrew/Kosher letters symbols are definitely what to look for. In Pepsi, the white cap on 2 liter bottles and I do not know whther the cap has the symbols or not. Maybe it has to to be legit for Passover.

I think Pepsi throwback is still in the stores. It was supposed to have a 3 month run, if I recall. The three months may have been Jan through March. Someone should do some blind tastings of Throwback, Kosher for Passover Pepsi, and Regular Pepsi against each other, and the same for Kosher for Passover Coke against regular HFCS Coke. I have something of a sense that the Pepsi Throwback tastes watered down compared to the Passover Pepsi. I think the first time Pepsi throwback came out it was less watered down. I think these companies may be trying to show that we all really like HFCS better, but they do not want to go so far as to mess around with the formula for Passover purposes!

I'm in agreement that Throwback 2.0 is definitely not the same as the first release, which is a real shame. I have one 12-pack of the first release that I'm drinking last because it'll be a sad day when it's finally all gone for good.

I'm in agreement that Throwback 2.0 is definitely not the same as the first release, which is a real shame. I have one 12-pack of the first release that I'm drinking last because it'll be a sad day when it's finally all gone for good.

Thanks for confirming my impression. I am not usually a conspiracy guy, but isn't that some BS somewhere? Why the heck would Pepsi make a lesser quality product the second time around? I have to assume that they know what they are doing and this was intentional. So far some reason they have to want to put out an inferior sugar version.

Get some of the Kosher for Passover Pepsi. I think it is at least as good as Pepsi Throwback verison 1.0, maybe better.

Actually, it is funny. I am really a Pepsi rather than a Coke guy. So I truly hate to say that I think I like the Kosher for Passover Coke and definitely the Mexican Coke better than any of the Pepsis. Really pains me to say that!

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been checking Costco in Durham but they don't have it--or at least they don't when I go. I've heard that Costco in Raleigh might, so I'll check that if all else fails. I've also been checking the Mexican markets but I haven't found any yet--all of the ones that I've been to have US Coke. I'll check the one on Avondale this weekend.

Last year, I heard that the local Krogers were carrying Passover Coke, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I'll do some hunting this weekend.

I actually see it all the time. In the international section of at least 3 Krogers I can think of. Glass bottle, made of real sugar. About $1.79 if I recall.

I've heard that there is also Passover coke, which has the same recipe (real sugar) as the Mexican coke. You're in luck, its almost Passover time! Look for the parve / kosher symbol.

proxy.php

Image courtesy of Serious Eats; who had it courtesy of mhaithaca on Flickr

Also, the article in the link said something about Pepsi unrolling a "Pepsi Throwback" also with real sugar. Interesting.

I've been doing this for years....stockpiling up Passover Coke for the Summer months.
The secret is out.....:drool: Well....it was to too good to last forever!

At least my Wild Irish Rose wine is still safe.....:thumbup:

Cheers.

It may not be in the soda aisle. Look for the section with the matzoh and the other kosher for Passover foods.

They really seem to hide it at some stores, even apart from the Kosher section, in the places that actually carry it, but O is correct.

Giant Food around here seems not to carry it at all , at least any Giant anywhere near me, which seems amazing. The late great Izzy Cohen, who ran Giant for years (and I am sincere about the "great" part) would not let that happen, I am sure!

At Safeway I have found it prominently displayed with a big sign if front of the store by the cash registers; with the other Passover stuff; and literally in a stack in a back corner, away from the Passover stuff, with no signage or id, and just the yellow caps to give it away. Nice big stack of cases of it though in that back corner. One place I went had like 3 bottles total.

Can you get real sugar Cheerwine down there? That stuff is a real treat!

It may not be in the soda aisle. Look for the section with the matzoh and the other kosher for Passover foods.

Excellent tip!

I'd be curious to know what the distribution map looks like for this stuff. I'd love to stockpile pick up a bottle or two if I could find it.

I'm just 30 minutes outside of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in Western Wisconsin, so if I have to make a trek over there, I will. So...when is Passover? :whistling:

I must have the worst timing for shopping at Kroger. Every time I stop in, they're sold out of the Mexican Coke in the International Aisle. Nothing at all in the kosher section. Tonight I finally hit gold--one bottle. We'll see if it lives up to its hype.

I have been buying it at the Belmont (NC) Hardware store on Main Street.
They also have Cheerwine and Sundrop made with sugar. All in glass bottles.

<They also have Cheerwine and Sundrop made with sugar. All in glass bottles. >

I did not even know they had Sundrop in all sugar. I really like Sundrop. Makes a great diet soda. Cheerwine is simply outstanding in diet, regular, and especially all sugar, though.

Top Bottom