What's new

Merz Apothecary visit

I was in Chicago last weekend and decided to stop by the Merz store at the Palmer House. I was excited about the selection of shaving gear available. There are no places to shop like that around here. I picked up a few things while I was there. Finally bought a bottle of Proraso green after shave. Love the way it cools my face and doesn't have a strong aroma. I also bought a bowl of Geo F. Trumper Rose Soft shaving cream. LOVE IT! I'm picked on for using flowery cream but I don't care. I love the scent and the feel of the cream. It takes very little on my brush to get a good lather so the bowl will last me a long time. Finally, I picked up some Col Conk amber shaving soap. Also love this soap. Great scent on this too. I'm very much enjoying trying new soaps, creams and after shaves.

If you had a blast at the Palmer house Merz - next time make sure to get to the Lincoln square loacation. I think the selection is a little broader there and it's In a cool part of town.

My daughter has a volleyball tournament in Schaumberg next weekend and I'm going to try to sneak away to visit Merz one afternoon.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
seriously considering going next saturday.

I can't decide which one to vist though. The one uptown on Lincoln is about 30-45min further for me (taking the train). I hear all the local shops around it are great as well as the food.

the one downtown is closer but I loose the local shops and possibly the food.

I'm not sure if i'd make a day out of it, but at least would grab a bite to eat and would like to check out some other shops.

I'm guessing with that i'd enjoy the Lincoln one a lot better.

Does anyone know if the $7.00 weekend pass from Metra covers the Brown line subway as well? (the one i'd take up to Lincoln Merz.)

I went to merz yesterday. I felt obligated to buy something so I got some Clubman powder for my bits.

Nice small store in a prime location.

I went to merz yesterday. I felt obligated to buy something so I got some Clubman powder for my bits.

Nice small store in a prime location.

Which store did you go to? The one in Lincoln Park or Monroe St? The Lincoln Park location in quite a bit larger.

seriously considering going next saturday.

I can't decide which one to vist though. The one uptown on Lincoln is about 30-45min further for me (taking the train). I hear all the local shops around it are great as well as the food.

the one downtown is closer but I loose the local shops and possibly the food.

I'm not sure if i'd make a day out of it, but at least would grab a bite to eat and would like to check out some other shops.

I'm guessing with that i'd enjoy the Lincoln one a lot better.

Does anyone know if the $7.00 weekend pass from Metra covers the Brown line subway as well? (the one i'd take up to Lincoln Merz.)

Metra is a completely different train system from the CTA (which runs the El / subway system), so you'll need to pay separately for that. (and last I checked Metra weekend passes were $10, not $7).

In any case if I were doing mixed travel like this I'd get the Ventra app, which allows you to purchase both Metra and CTA travel, and functions as electronic tickets for both.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Metra is a completely different train system from the CTA (which runs the El / subway system), so you'll need to pay separately for that. (and last I checked Metra weekend passes were $10, not $7).

In any case if I were doing mixed travel like this I'd get the Ventra app, which allows you to purchase both Metra and CTA travel, and functions as electronic tickets for both.
Pretty sure it was 7 bucks back in 2013 when I posted that 😎

Oh good grief. Time flies when you're not paying attention! I guess you figured out how to get up to Merz without me. :)

Top Bottom