What's new

Merkur Progress Observation...

Hello all - I've recently got into wetshaving after searching for solutions to my ingrown hair problem and found this site (yea, its all your faults!). I've started with a progress, vulfix 2233, letterk blade sampler pack, and t&h ultimate comfort.

I started with the merkur blades, always with the lowest setting on the progress. Day by day I've honed my technique. After going through a few merkur blades I decided to give the derbys a try.

My first shave with the derbys was.... bad. Not by means of irritation, but was just a poor shave, not very close at all. Then I happen to look at the razor, whoa. One cutting edge has a gap between it and the guard, the other edge is sitting just over the guard. I do some searching and find others have had issues with progress alignment.

I thought it may of just been the derby blade - so I test load a few different brand blades, and all show this gap. I put several merkurs back in, and while the gap is noticable, a bit reduced. Now how could this be... I measured the blade dimensions with a micrometer - all the same within 0.0005" (half a thousandth).

So I think to myself, if blade size is the same, how come gap is inconsistent? Same razor assembly, same size blades, different gap results. Only variable is the assembly - but, line up the marks, turn the knob, its not rocket science right? I fiddle more... (by now my poor razors been through about 20 disassemble/reassemble cycles in the course of an hour!) - aha. I notice the top part of the razor (hump with the threaded rod... does it have a proper name?) has some play within it even when assembled.

If you place the razor with the cuttting edge parallel to your body, and use index and middle finger to hold the razor from underneath, you can use your thumb to shift the head forward. Spin the razor around to move the head in the other direction. Don't need an amazing amount of force but with firm movments you can change the position of the head to even out the gaps on both sides.

Whew - if you've made it this far, thanks for reading my gamble. Hopefully it will help others - couldn't find anyone doing this in previous progress threads. You guys rock, friendly community. So glad I found DE shaving. I've been "shaving" with clippers for quite some time. Fusion came out, fell for the "more closer blades = less irritation" gimmick, butcherd my neck up something fierce, and now finally close to a perfect shave.

This is an idiosyncracy of the the Progress. You are relying on screw threads to set the gap, so there will always be a bit of an angle to the top piece. Add to that the play you mention and the result is some uneveness in the gap. I just ignore it - it doesn't seem to affect my shaves at all, but of course YMMV.

Am I happy I started with fixed head Merkurs! :biggrin:

I don't see any reason at this time to abandon my Long Handle Classic since that one gives me very nice shaves! I will soon try out the Merkur HD and as long as I get great shaves with fixed head razors, I will not move to adjustables.

Are there any other downsides to the Merkur Progress than the one described here?

Ashe said:
Am I happy I started with fixed head Merkurs! :biggrin:

I don't see any reason at this time to abandon my Long Handle Classic since that one gives me very nice shaves! I will soon try out the Merkur HD and as long as I get great shaves with fixed head razors, I will not move to adjustables.

First of all, welcome Pierre, what a great name! :biggrin:

And Ashe, I'm with you on the fixed head thing. Even now, after getting pretty good at DE shaving I have three Razors. My first razor and the one I still use most is the Merkur HD - nice solid fixed razor. Next, I have my 1948-50 SuperSpeed which is fast becoming my new favourite - again fixed head. My third is a Gillette Super Adjustable Long Handle that feels really good in my hand, but even on three I find I have some difficulties getting as good a shave as with my SS or my HD.

Maybe it's technique, maybe it's the blades (going to try a Feather or Israeli next), but the adjustable just doesn't "just work" you have to find a way to make it work.

Anyway, I don't need adjustable, I just want a well made razor that shaves nicely, I have that, why do I need a Progress or a Futur or, whatever.

Just my $0.02 worth, Canadian funds of course.

Peace,

Pierre

Its deffinatley YMMV thing. The one time I noticed it on my razor was when one cutting edge was so far over, it was nearly useless. Others it was barely detectable - completely random. I just figured I'd let others know as by previous posts some thought it was an incorrectable defect in the razor.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this affect the clasic, long handle, hd, etc fixed because they are all based off of threading mechanisms?

pierre said:
Its deffinatley YMMV thing. The one time I noticed it on my razor was when one cutting edge was so far over, it was nearly useless. Others it was barely detectable - completely random. I just figured I'd let others know as by previous posts some thought it was an incorrectable defect in the razor.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this affect the clasic, long handle, hd, etc fixed because they are all based off of threading mechanisms?

I have all the Merkur fixed head razors and none of them have the problem you mentioned with the Progress. I also have a Progress, but do not use it because I like for both sides of the razor to shave exactly the same. It has taken its place among my 'display razors'.

Top Bottom