What's new

Merkur Futur vs Ming Shi Clone

After my travails with the Merkur Futur, described in my other thread, my Ming Shi clone turned up in the mail, and I've had a chance to compare them side by side.

Result was that for me,
Setting 1 on Merkur Futur = Setting 4 to 5 on Ming Shi clone.

Ming Shi clone is thus far less aggresssive. I couldn't get a close shave on it's Setting 1.

Has anybody else tried doing the comparison?
Regards,
Renato

I've only shaved with the Merkur Futur, but the Futur is an extremely aggressive razor IMO. I have a pretty tough beard and a Futur setting of only 1.5 is perfect for me. I like the Futur, though I think it's way too aggressive for most shavers. Not sure why Merkur did that.

I have had both and find the clone to be a bit less aggressive than the Futur. For me the Futur was way to aggressive so I traded it away.

I've only shaved with the Merkur Futur, but the Futur is an extremely aggressive razor IMO. I have a pretty tough beard and a Futur setting of only 1.5 is perfect for me. I like the Futur, though I think it's way too aggressive for most shavers. Not sure why Merkur did that.
Thanks, the only setting I use on Futur is 1.0.
Merkur's Bakelite I thought very aggressive till I used the Futur, and I had to redefine what I thought of as aggressive.
Regards,
Renato

like you, I found the clone less aggressive than the Futur
Thanks. The clone is far more manageable for me.
Cheers,
Renato

I have had both and find the clone to be a bit less aggressive than the Futur. For me the Futur was way to aggressive so I traded it away.
Thanks. I wonder if the clones vary in aggressiveness?
As the clone is far less aggressive on me, than what you appear to have experienced.
Regards,
Renato

I have never tried the Futur but I do have a Ming Shi 2000s.
It's actually one of my fav razors.
Best results for me is on setting 3,5 - 5, giving me smooth and close shaves.

I have never tried the Futur but I do have a Ming Shi 2000s.
It's actually one of my fav razors.
Best results for me is on setting 3,5 - 5, giving me smooth and close shaves.
Thanks. I've really warmed to the Ming Shi too.
Regards,
Renato

The Futur and Ming Shi are similar in looks alone. The shave and aggressiveness is completely different.
Thanks. I'm in total agreement.

I'm wondering if Merkur will ever put out a clone of the Ming Shi?
Perhaps a Futur-G (G for gentle).
Regards,
Renato

The Chinese clones are not clones. Also I have Ming Shi 2000s and I have a River Lake branded Chinese Futur lookalike. The Ming Shi and the River Lake are different if you look closely. more than 4 differences. One of them is the River Lake on 6 has a smaller gap than the Ming Shi.

The Chinese clones are not clones. Also I have Ming Shi 2000s and I have a River Lake branded Chinese Futur lookalike. The Ming Shi and the River Lake are different if you look closely. more than 4 differences. One of them is the River Lake on 6 has a smaller gap than the Ming Shi.
I don't understand.
A clone in this context according to Cambridge Dictionary is "someone or something that looks very much like someone or something else" .

If the Chinese clones aren't clones, the implication is that the Futur is a clone of the original Chinese ones.
Is that the case?
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
@Renato1

"The Chinese clones are not clones" means they are not absolutely the same as a Futur, they don't have the same dimensions, gap etc. As I have already mentioned above, even the different brands of Chinese Futur copy razors are not the same when compared.

P.S. I dont' use Cambridge dictionaries. Have a look at Oxford:
clone | Definition of clone in English by Lexico Dictionaries
1.1A person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another.
Another vote for Oxford. Definitely not clones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

@Renato1

"The Chinese clones are not clones" means they are not absolutely the same as a Futur, they don't have the same dimensions, gap etc. As I have already mentioned above, even the different brands of Chinese Futur copy razors are not the same when compared.

P.S. I dont' use Cambridge dictionaries. Have a look at Oxford:
clone | Definition of clone in English by Lexico Dictionaries
1.1A person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another.

Another vote for Oxford. Definitely not clones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cambridge Dictionary
Clone is "someone or something that looks very much like someone or something else"

Merriam Webster Dictionary
Clone - "one that appears to be a copy of an original form"

Oxford Dictionary at Lexico
Clone -
"A person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another.
‘guitarists who are labelled Hendrix clones’"

Only problem is that there are no guitarists who are exact copies of Hendrix, so that Oxford contradicts its definition with its own example that they use to illustrate their definition. The example is however, akin to the definition in Cambridge amd Merriam-Webster.
Regards,
Renato

I don't understand.
A clone in this context according to Cambridge Dictionary is "someone or something that looks very much like someone or something else" .

If the Chinese clones aren't clones, the implication is that the Futur is a clone of the original Chinese ones.
Is that the case?
Regards,
Renato
A clone is most often defined as
An exact copy, the Ming Shi is
Technically not a clone and is
Best described as a Replica.

Yep, "replica" sounds more like it. But hundreds of users on the Internet forums call the Chinese razors Futur "clones". And that is not accurate.

A clone is most often defined as
An exact copy, the Ming Shi is
Technically not a clone and is
Best described as a Replica.

Yep, "replica" sounds more like it. But hundreds of users on the Internet forums call the Chinese razors Futur "clones". And that is not accurate.

Merriam Webster Dictionary meaning of replica - "a copy exact in all details".

Oxford Dictionary at Lexico meaning of replica - "An exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale."

Cambridge Dictionary meaning - "an exact copy of an object"

Since the claim being made is that the MingShi is not a clone because it is not exact copy according to the Oxford Dictionary, it can't be a replica according to all dictionaries.

Apparently, what we require to satisfy everybody is a word in the Oxford Dictionary with the meaning of
"someone or something that looks very much like someone or something else".
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom