What's new

Merkur Futur Settings?

Hey guys. I picked up one of these razors recently, but I'm having some trouble figuring out what setting is comfy for me. For reference, what do you other Futur users set yours at? I was using a Merkur long handle before this and I've never used an adjustable razor before. I'm sure its going to take some time to get it dialed in so to speak, but just curious what you other Futur users think.

Hey guys. I picked up one of these razors recently, but I'm having some trouble figuring out what setting is comfy for me. For reference, what do you other Futur users set yours at? I was using a Merkur long handle before this and I've never used an adjustable razor before. I'm sure its going to take some time to get it dialed in so to speak, but just curious what you other Futur users think.

Between 2 and 2 1/2 for me.

I currently set mine at 2.5 but my beard is thick, maybe that will help you judge. If you get much more aggressive, it will irritate your face quickly

Yeah, I kind of noticed a few nicks when I went up to 3 or more. I've been using it around 1-1.5 with an occaisional dial up to 2, but I still haven't found a real sweet spot yet. I'm guessing its just going to take some time to get it right and get used to this razor. You guys notice that whatever the setting one side seems more open than the other. Very small difference, but I've noticed it with a couple different blades.

boy i am glad i read this thread i am getting a merkur vision and would have lost it had i dialed it in too high ill start at 2 thanks guys

I usually let mine ride at 2 WTG and XTG then set it on 3-4 ATG and my face shines when I'm finished, but I can get a really nice smooth shave left set on 2

I used to use it on 1 but now use 2 as I get closer shaves on this setting and no nicks or cuts. It definitely gives me the closest shaves of all my razors.
Cheers,
Martin.
Merkur long handle oopen comb
Merkur HD
Merkur slant bar
Merkur Futur
Gillette superspeed

I've only used it about 7-8 times, but I've nicked myself a couple times all but once. I'm surprised too because when I switched from a Mach 3 to a Merkur long handle I had no issues right from the start. I never used my alum block so much. I've tried it with several different creams too.

A future can be hard to get to grips with (no pun on the slightly slick surface to grip on).

I usualy have it set to 1 to 1.5. Trying to move up to 2-3.

(I also use feathers).

Much prefer it over the Merkur Progress as its.. wait for it.. less aggressive for me.

Pierce

Top Bottom