What's new

Menthol burn

I shaved a couple of days ago and left my proraso menthol pre shave on for longer than usual. Probs about 5 minutes. My skin then went red and swollen where I had applied it for a few hours after and I had a below par shave with weepers which I haven’t had for ages.

I don’t normally react to menthol like this but figured the prolonged contact caused the issue. I’ve been using it for a few months but normally apply then within a minute or so apply my soap or cream.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Menthol can cause irritation is left on sensitive skin too long. Kinda like Vic’s vapor rub on some people. The Rave crowds love and tolerate menthol smeared inside their face 😷 masks for hours at a time; so to each their own.

you can develop sensitivities due to prolonged exposure as well. Could just be your face letting you know it needs a bit of time to heal. Menthol in general is a big reason for irritation etc. for a lot of people.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So far, the only pre-shave I have, is the Proraso Pre-shave Eucalyptus in the GREEN top jar. Generally, what I do, is I apply it, rub it into the face pretty good, then I bring the soap lather to my face, then it all comes off with the razor in the first WTG passes. I don't think that I have had a reaction from the pre-shave by doing this.

Now, I will get quite the burning feeling from the alcohol in a Captains Choice aftershave, but that goes away after several seconds, and then I am left with a pleasant scent, and smooth skin. If you are super sensitive to menthol, then I suggest you stop using it, and use a pre-shave that doesn't have menthol in it.

Strange thing is I love menthol in my shave products and have always used it just fine until this occasion where I left it on for longer than usual. I’ve even added crystals to my shave creams without issue.

Will take a break from my menthols then gradually reintroduce it carefully. Be gutted to go without for good as a breeze on my freshly shaved menthol-kissed face is one of life’s pleasures!

Strange thing is I love menthol in my shave products and have always used it just fine until this occasion where I left it on for longer than usual. I’ve even added crystals to my shave creams without issue.

Will take a break from my menthols then gradually reintroduce it carefully. Be gutted to go without for good as a breeze on my freshly shaved menthol-kissed face is one of life’s pleasures!
If you feel your face has healed and come back to normal I would suggest to go ahead and try it again, menthol tends to be irritant if left too long, just do what you were doing before

IMO preshaves and products alike do not increase performance by leaving them longer on the face, just apply it, lather up and go on to shave, I don't use preshaves but even lathering a soap or a cream too long can cause irritation due to the excess brushing and does not increase the performance of the lather or increases the softness of the hair.

Sometimes we think of the shaving as a relaxing and disconnecting time from the tediousness of the other everyday mundane tasks and inadvertently try to make our shaving ritual a bit longer.

If thats the case, take a longer shower, do some clean up around your ears, brush your teeth longer, floss, or in my case (I shave in the evenings) I pour myself some aged grain spirit on the rocks, put on some of my favorite tunes and even put some drops of my favorite scented oil on the diffuser, even a manly bubble bath from time to time, and then shave…but never…ever…leave something on your face too long🤙

Proraso Menthol Preshave was the only shaving product that gave me noticeable skin irritation.

I have long given up dedicated preshave products and nowadays I only prep my shave with soap and water, but after that rash I became sceptical of all things Proraso, no matter how wonderful some people believe it to be.

To me, the truth is that Proraso is easily available (like Johnny Walker Red Label) but not that good (again like Johnny Walker Red Label), but in a pickle it will do (do I need to say it again? :001_tongu).

B.

I tried a pre-shave a few years ago after using just hot water for years. And I honestly couldn't tell the difference, except that it seemed a little harder to clear the razor after each pass.
So I went back to plain hot water. But who knows, I may be missing out on something. 🤔

I am not a fan of any pretreatments, cube smears, or menthol products. Guess my mother ruined me, by using Vic’s vapor rub on me as a kid…hated menthol products ever since.

Yeah I don’t think it makes the shaves better per se. However I sometimes get dry skin and I think it helps with that - the lather seems to last longer without needing more water if I use it.

Plus I like the kiss of menthol in the morning after a shower.

Never normally leave it on like I did last week but to be totally honest I remembered I’d forgotten to brush my teeth before showering so thought I’d do so before shaving after I had the pre applied! Lesson learned. 🤣

Top Bottom