What's new

Memorial Day AI art contest

Eben Stone

Staff member
Anyone up for a challenge?

We know historically that some AI art generators struggled with the old Nintendo Duck Hunt video game. There's a thread about it here:

Thread 'AI art is genuinely stupid!' AI art is genuinely stupid! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ai-art-is-genuinely-stupid.646658/

Now, apparently some AI art generators are stupid and don't now what a "straight razor" is. I won't mention which ones.

Here is the challenge:

• Use AI to generate a Memorial Day themed image that I can share on the B&B social media accounts.
  • Must include these items in the image:
  • Soldier(s) (any time period, but not futuristic)
  • American Flag
  • Straight Razor (ideally the image should show the soldier shaving with a straight razor, not just have a straight razor somewhere in the image).
  • Using the honor system, you cannot make more than 10 submissions to generate the image. Changing the prompt and regenerating the image counts as a submission.
Post your image(s) here now before Memorial Day. Please do not mention which generator or prompt you used to make the image until after Memorial Day. You may share how many attempts you made and how many words in the prompt you submitted.

If your image is "good" I'll share it on social media.

After Memorial Day, everyone who participated can vote for which image is the best.

I'm hoping the winner will start the next contest.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Here's mine:
_24e461fd-6fa3-4c8e-9012-c0a6c1265ab0.jpeg

Submissions: 2
Keywords: 19 (including "a" and "the")

Obviously, mine is a failure, because I couldn't get my generator of choice to render a straight razor, that's why I created this challenge.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I tried more than a dozen "free" image generators, and was asked by every single one to create an account, so I gave up in frustration.
If they can sell my name, address and email, it ain't free.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I tried more than a dozen "free" image generators, and was asked by every single one to create an account, so I gave up in frustration.
If they can sell my name, address and email, it ain't free.
Everything is pay to play. You either pay with money or you pay by watching ads. It's rare to find anything that can be used anonymously without ads that doesn't cost money.

For anyone interested:

Craiyon can be used anonymously without paying money.

Ignore the small thumbnails that appear almost immediately below the prompt, those are not your generated images. The image generation takes 60 seconds and will appear between "expert mode" and "need prompt ideas."

Most free generators will allow you to submit X number of submissions within Y amount of time. They are all different. The one I use is 10 submissions per day, any more than that are put into a slow queue and take about 10 minutes to generate.

I only tried Craiyon once, I have no idea how they throttle or limit the submissions over time.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I’m an IT guy and still working on getting educated on AI. I studied some in a recent graduate program but there is much more to learn.
There's basically two things I've seen AI do, in terms of art. Either you give it some general topic and it figures out the details and generates an image for you, or you tell it exactly what you want in exhaustive detail and it generates an image for you. Either way, you never really know what you're going to get. And sometimes it's just straight up weird.

Imagine you are ordering a custom sign from a print shop over the phone. You know what you want. Just put it into words, the more descriptive the better.

Here's some examples if you need some inspiration:

_b14dccce-864a-4cef-b9ad-0a19f517e44d.jpeg

"summarize the entire history of Memorial Day in a single image"

That's pretty terrible. It's so busy I can't tell what certain parts are supposed to be.

If you zoom in, in the middle of the people, it looks like a man in a suit shaking hands with what might be a skeleton. I'm not really sure. And slightly to the left of that there is a man standing on a table.

The seemingly random stuff that gets put into AI generated images and text actually has a name. It's officially called "hallucinations."

_cec65738-40d2-41e4-bef0-f2e6cbe1a4a7.jpeg

"realistic 1940's woman, tears on her face, standing in front of a soldier's tombstone, black and white, yellow ribbon on her dress, holding dog tags"

I'm pretty happy with that one.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I guess I'm the only one that thinks messing with AI art is fun. 🤷‍♂️

I've been using Microsoft Copilot, and the prompt for my initial post was "photo realistic wwii soldier, shaving with a straight razor, with an American flag in the background, black and white"

Since then, I've tried approx 20 submissions, and still cant get Copilot's Dall-E3 generator to render anything that resembles a straight razor.

Surprisingly, as of today, it seems to be randomly blocking prompts contain the word "soldier" and it refuses to generate an image of a "woman shaving her legs" claiming it's inappropriate content.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks messing with AI art is fun. 🤷‍♂️

I've been using Microsoft Copilot, and the prompt for my initial post was "photo realistic wwii soldier, shaving with a straight razor, with an American flag in the background, black and white"

Since then, I've tried approx 20 submissions, and still cant get Copilot's Dall-E3 generator to render anything that resembles a straight razor.

Surprisingly, as of today, it seems to be randomly blocking prompts contain the word "soldier" and it refuses to generate an image of a "woman shaving her legs" claiming it's inappropriate content.
I played around with AI art a while back, and I enjoy it. Sorry I missed your post or I would have tried.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I tried but the pictures weren’t worthy of sharing here, and then I sort of forgot about trying more.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
it seems to be randomly blocking prompts contain the word "soldier" and it refuses to generate an image of a "woman shaving her legs" claiming it's inappropriate content.
While AI is making us laugh at it's apparent stupidity, it's secretly plotting our demise.

Top Bottom