What's new

McVeyMac Straight Journal

Oh yeah! Forgot about that part! LOL
Tell you what Rich, if you win the challenge, I'll send the PIF winner two pucks of Williams and 2 sticks of Arko. When the PIF winner is done with the SE2, I'll have them send you a puck and a stick and the SE2 to try.

Uh.. Nice of you to offer, but I think we should stick with just the PIF part. By the time we are done, I will be clear done with Willy I think!:lol: Bragging rights are fine for me. Maybe I'll put a mention on my signature line. :thumbup:

Uh.. Nice of you to offer, but I think we should stick with just the PIF part. By the time we are done, I will be clear done with Willy I think!:lol: Bragging rights are fine for me. Maybe I'll put a mention on my signature line. :thumbup:

Good! I did not want to have to spend another $0.99 on another puck of Williams.:clap:

Straight Shave #587

Got a small mail call yesterday. I got the Old Spice AS and EdC as well as the British Sterling H.I.M from Jet yesterday. In addition to my father always using Williams Mug Soap while I was growing up, he also used Old Spice every day. Old Spice was apparently established in 1939, the year my gather turned 14. I suspect it was the frag. of choice for those young whipper snappers of the day. I love their box slogan. "If your grandfather hadn't worn this, you would not exist." When I was young, getting Dad the Old Spice AS/Cologne gift set for Christmas from the drug store was typical when I only had $10 to spend on Christmas for my brother, mom and dad.

On to the shave, the mail call dictated my soap choice today (you guys are really rubbing off on me, and I decided to go with the Stirling Spice followed by Old SPice AS and EdC. The razor for the day was the Fili #13 Barber Special. I have stands to keep 3 razors on my vanity, and all three of them are firing on all cylinders with respect to performance. The result was full BBS once again. No doubting the quality of the edge with respect to my shaving result any more. If the razor does not perform for me, back to the stones for a little work. I think that the British Sterling H.I.M might pair well with this soap, but I am not sure how well it will do paired with the Old Spice AS splash. I am thinking that it will though.

Stirling Spice, Old Spice, and Fili #13......awesome!

BTW Walt, from hence forth, I shall cease using the terms "hard water" or "soft water", since I am not a science guy - I shall merely state my location with regards to water. :001_cool:

Stirling Spice, Old Spice, and Fili #13......awesome!

BTW Walt, from hence forth, I shall cease using the terms "hard water" or "soft water", since I am not a science guy - I shall merely state my location with regards to water. :001_cool:

No worries Chris. I just cannot get my mind wrapped around what effects water hardness has on lather quality. I could go to the lab and figure it out I guess, but there are things that are just not worth it. I think this is one of them. All I do know is that the Williams was giving me some fits with the tap water here, which is hard, but I am not sure how hard. It is not as hard as the Chaska Minnesota water I can say for sure. I had the water measured out in the Pittsburgh area when I lived there so that I knew how to set my water softener, but I don't remember what it was, and I don't know if it is similar here. I don't have a water softener here.

When I used the distilled water to lather the Williams, I had made two changes, I used my synthetic brush and I used distilled water. The result was better. Which change caused the improvement I am not sure. I threw out the puck, so I can't repeat the experiment. I typically can determine the relative hardness of the water by how easily the soap rinses off in a shower (residual slickness, if you will) when traveling the world. But when I travel, I always have Arko:lol:. It has worked for me all over the North American, European, Asian and African continents that I have traveled to in the last two years in both hard and soft water as measured by my shower residual slickness test:crazy:.

Well the 1st lather test did not go as well as planned, it just requires a bit more water and work. Is very slick So a little disappointed

Walt - I am glad we are slowly drawing you to the dark side.... I mean umm... I don't have the right word for it. LOL

Great mail call though!

Straight Shave #588

I am enjoying the Spice so much that I went back to the Stirling Spice again today. Wonderful luxurious lather again today. I also went back to the "Sue" 6/8" BRW. Another BBS result. Life is Good! In keeping with the Spice theme, I used the Old Spice AS splash, and I paired it with the British Sterling H.I.M. which has spicier notes than the original. I am an olfactory novice, but to my taste the two paired very well and I did not detect any clashing or fighting of fragrances. Now some 6 hours later, the H.I.M still has presence.

I am liking the H.I.M very much. It is still reminiscent of the original British Sterling, but clearly has some spice in the beginning. Now the bergamot and leather is still noticed. But again, what do I know. You all might be picking up completely different notes than my untrained nose can detect. All I know is that I like it.

I agree with you regarding the H.I.M. Walt. It does have elements of British Sterling in it, but has a bit less sweetness and more spiciness to my nose.

Good Stuff Walt, when the office slows down, I will get the Blasted Blue Willy and the Penhaligons out in the mail and PM you with Tracking. I do apologize I ran out of the house and totally forgot the AV. sorry

Good Stuff Walt, when the office slows down, I will get the Blasted Blue Willy and the Penhaligons out in the mail and PM you with Tracking. I do apologize I ran out of the house and totally forgot the AV. sorry

No worries at all Dave, Rich and I are enjoying all of the top tier stuff we have in the den in the mean time.

Top Bottom